N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I had the thought because I am huge fan of David Foster Wallace. His work is often about paying attention. Almost everything can be considered as beautiful if you are paying enough attention. (his words)
He committed suicide while working on his last book. The topic was boredom. It is a fictional story about the jobs of people in a bureaucratic system. I did not read it but I think he tried to dive deep into the topic. Tried to understand the tax system and what these employees have to do every single day.

Personally I don't feel bored usually. I am a heavy ponderer. I am so anxious every single day. They are eating me alive. But when I have boring tasks I usually get very depressive. I would not say I am very bored I am rather in a lot of pain in these situations.

I think other people have expressed boredom as a bigger issues for them.

I can relate to it in a certain way. When I cannot distract myself I feel way worse. When I can distract me with my hobbies I usually feel better. Having a boring job would probably be torture for me. In fact i had boring jobs. They made me extremely depressive. But they would not have been my reason to commit suicide. In fact I was ready to bear the pain as long as I have a stable income. Though I was fired because I suffered immensely and my performance was due to that very bad. So rather poverty and mental hell like psychosomatic pain will be the main reasons for my suicide.
I don't think boredom will drive me over the edge. Though if I cannot cope anymore with my favorite hobbies I will be have an even worse life quality.

• Hugs
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, katagiri83, akana and 1 other person
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
His work is often about paying attention. Almost everything can be considered as beautiful if you are paying enough attention. (his words)
Thanks, I also noticed that a good while back but forgot about it. Guess it's about leaving the goal-oriented autopilot and really perceiving things. Most simple things can be so intricate, if we want them to.

For me, I'm also not easily bored. I basically only get bored if I have stuff to do but just am not starting, or maybe that's more like frustration (that I am truly familiar with).

I guess it could contribute to some people dying, yep.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think that it very likely does drive people to ctb. I personally have absolutely no interest in being alive and I never have done. I just don't see living as being desirable and theres nothing really here for me in this world. My current problem isn't exactly a lack of things to do, instead I have a strong dislike for living that means that everything to me is tedious and repetitive and makes me feel more tired. I simply don't find living to be an enjoyable experience and I see life itself as being extremely dull. I'm tired and bored of suffering.

I think that it's subjective what boredom can mean to people. I think that for some it can be a state of mind. Even if I could change things about life and remove a lot of the suffering that exists in this world I would still want to die because everything is so empty.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath and Un-