• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

FortunesFool

FortunesFool

Oct 24, 2020
My dad was/is suicidal, he attempted twice and is an alcoholic. He has serious mental issues. I stopped seeing him when I was young because he was a danger to me, my family and himself. I don't know where he is now, its been years, he could be dead. It makes me wonder, could being suicidal run in the family? Is the reason I feel this way because of our genetics? Just curious if anyone knows anything about this. Or is it just a coincidence?

Last edited:
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
Many mental illnesses are genetic unfortunately, so there is a chance it has something to do with it. My dad also has some mental health issues, which I'm sure he passed on to me and my other sibling too. I'm sorry you had to go through those difficulties at such a young age, I know how tough it must've been. I'm wishing you all the best. :heart:

Konjac

Konjac

Experienced
Oct 25, 2020
Genetics definitely have a decent part to play in determining people's mental health. My brother & sister's dad doesn't have any mental health issues, and they're both pretty stable, functioning people. I, on the other hand, am an absolute mess as you can probably tell from the fact I'm on here writing this in the first place. We were all raised together, happy childhoods, treated the exact same, etc. the only difference being that I have a different dad. My dad suffers with his mental health, similarly to how I do. I'm pretty sure I inherited a few of my mental illnesses from him/his side. I think being suicidal can absolutely run in the family. I feel like I'm living proof tbh.

• Love
Reactions: botanormal
AltFoxx

AltFoxx

Nov 27, 2020
My mothers side is completely fine when it comes to mental health. My dads on the other hand is a mess. If only that genetic part could've skipped me :(

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
My ancestors' culture probably prohibits showing outward suicidality but I know for a fact that my great-grandfather on my dad's side killed himself when the communists seized his farm that had been in our family for generations. The story is he was given the option to either give it up or be shot so he decided to drown himself in a nearby ocean instead. I also can remember my mom once had a breakdown a few years ago where she definitely wanted to kill herself so I guess it really does come from both sides of my family.

• Love
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
Yes mental illnesses are genetic my mothers side was fine my fathers side, devil unrest his soul were crackers. I have read over the years about family members who killed themselves at different times of there lifes and there were twin brothers who hung themself earlier on in the year.

Cheers

Geo

Lastsauce

Lastsauce

Experienced
Dec 22, 2019
My mom has severe General anxiety disorder but was able to manage it somehow since the mid to late sixties first with Valium.
My GAD on the other hand is weapons grade drug and treatment resistant. It is what it is.
I had no symptoms at all until I was out of my teens and suddenly it hit like a freight train.

• Hugs
Leaving-Soon

Leaving-Soon

Nov 9, 2020
It certainly can. My mom CTB when I was 15. And now, a bit over 30 years later…

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: FortunesFool
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Just to be clear, mental illnesses can't be inherited. What can be inherited is a gene sequences which increases the risk of developing a mental illness.

Reactions: sadworld
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
I'm fairly certain it has to do with genetics, like half my family tried to kill themselves at one point. Either that or it's some sort of curse since we all get threated like absolute trash by everyone, and the vast majority of the suicide attempts were due to bullying.