immrw

immrw

Jan 22, 2023
i hung up 3 times because I was scared. Then the girl went "thank you for calling the suicide hotline my name is *** how can I help you?" in a customer service voice and it stunlocked me. I felt like I should be scheduling a doctor's appointment. Is that really how they answer phones?? wild

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: hopeisdead, Stormy Raine, Unhumanly. and 4 others
itsraining

itsraining

Sleep With A Baseball Bat
May 18, 2023
I remember trying to call and I was just put on hold for a long long long time

Reactions: gardenfairy and dizzdesi
Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
Pretty sure that's a standard line that they have to say. You can just progress the conversation normally after that.

• Informative
Reactions: jessisme, dizzdesi and Shiva_Story
Some place nice

Some place nice

This world makes me sick
Oct 18, 2023
They told me that they would call me back and just hung up on me. They called back 2 week later.

• Aww..
Reactions: DeadlineDialer and jessisme
BlazingBob

BlazingBob

I'm still here b/c of my dogs
Oct 28, 2021
I called one yesterday. It was ok but they didn't have any answers nor did I expect them to because my situation is truly hopeless.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: SMmetalhead36, jinx <3, jessisme and 1 other person
deathviahanging

deathviahanging

caring is boring
Sep 28, 2023
i swear most suicide hotlines are so counterproductive and end up making things more complicated

• Aww..
Reactions: myusername890, bridgegirl, Some place nice and 3 others
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
I remember calling them several times when I was 14 and they never really understood my situation as an individual with autism so how could they help anyone with suicidal tendencies who's neurodivergent like they say they do when they just either use a bunch of platitudes or claim they can't understand you when you're panicking about wanting to kill yourself?

• Hugs
Reactions: Pivoine47 and immrw
NotMyName

NotMyName

Oct 3, 2023
I also had bad expierence with suicide hotlines. I dont like it. You wait for a very long time and they dont even seem to care.
However it is great that you try to find help and I hope that you will find some. I personally know it is hard, since I havent found help myself yet. But please as long as you want to get help, try to find it and you will be succesful. As long as I really want to find help I know one day I hopefully will be succesful.

Reactions: Some place nice
frezzy

frezzy

my muse <3
Oct 18, 2023
i hung up 3 times because I was scared. Then the girl went "thank you for calling the suicide hotline my name is *** how can I help you?" in a customer service voice and it stunlocked me. I felt like I should be scheduling a doctor's appointment. Is that really how they answer phones?? wild
I didn't necessarily call suicide hotline, however I did call emergency services explaining thet I was terrified for my life. They said they'd send people right away. They arrived 2 hours later.

• Aww..
Reactions: wildflowers1996
immrw

immrw

Jan 22, 2023
i swear most suicide hotlines are so counterproductive and end up making things more complicated
Yep lasted 7 minutes and the guy on the other end was literally speechless so I hung up

• Aww..
Reactions: bridgegirl and jessisme
wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
sometimes just hearing a caring voice can help a bit I think it depends on how well you connect with the volunteer

Reactions: Aim and jessisme
L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
Th
Yep lasted 7 minutes and the guy on the other end was literally speechless so I hung up
the problem with all these "resources" and mental health services is that our society is broken and no amount of talking, therapy, or pills are ever going to solve any of the actual issues any of us are facing.

Then society turns their back on us and calls us mentally ill because if you're depressed about logical things you are mentally ill.

Reactions: hopeisdead, kitty_kat, bridgegirl and 4 others
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

Sep 9, 2023
They call us crazy when we figure out what's really going on and if we figure it out "too early", then we're not only called crazy, but we're also called many other things on top of that for years and years which grinds on you more and more. You're told to conform, but if you can't, then tough shit because everyone will bully and criticize because you're that much different and it's obvious to the onlookers as they will see you as different and thus treat you as such. They don't seem to care about you, me, the other girl, the other guy, the other genders next door, or whatever. They only care about themselves at the end of the day and it's all just a performance by the time the dust settles.

Reactions: spinningmyself, myusername890, Some place nice and 1 other person
deathviahanging

deathviahanging

caring is boring
Sep 28, 2023
its odd how the majority of people on the other end are no where near suited to help anyone, despite there being training for it (atleast i think)

Reactions: immrw
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

Sep 9, 2023
They say they do, but it shows in crisis situations, they seem to lose their knowledge and turn off their empathy switch.

Reactions: immrw and bridgegirl
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
Be careful what you say to them, they'll track you down send the cops and off to the psych ward you go.

Reactions: immrw, Seered Doom, bridgegirl and 1 other person
L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
Be careful what you say to them, they'll track you down send the cops and off to the psych ward you go.
Learned a long time ago to lie to them because these people are fucking evil and don't really want to help. They will make shit worse every time.

"You're upset you're living paycheck to paycheck? Let me ruin your job for you. We are trying to help, everything will be better now."

Then shit is worse off and we're more depressed just forced to take pills against our will to "fix" us. Forcing us into psyche wards and to take pills because we are depressed about a broken society is the most fucked up thing ever.

Instead of fixing anything they blame us, if mental health therapists actually solved issues who would pay them? They just make our lives hell because they have had good ones and want patients to keep coming back. Watching you suffer makes them feel better about themselves because they are the "good guys"

Reactions: hopeisdead, immrw and Hollowman
bridgegirl

bridgegirl

life on the edge, I guess
Oct 16, 2023
I dislike hotlines because if I ever confide in anyone they dump the hotline number on me and then bail. It's expected to be this cure-all, like I'm going to call one time and receive some sort of divine enlightenment that fixes me. People want to give you "resources" but then can't comprehend that you might need something beyond that. And it's like, once you've called that number, what then? What is there for help beyond that? Therapy doesn't change it and pills don't change it and the dipshit fucking hotline number doesn't change it.

• Love
Reactions: Kalista, hopeisdead, Hollowman and 2 others
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

Sep 9, 2023
The gall and audacity some people have to be like; "You just want to be miserable, don't you?" No, tf I don't. I'm doing everything to try to be better and sure, a few small bits of advice work, but the overall? What does it matter?

Reactions: letmejoindeath and bridgegirl
AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
I was in a really bad place several months ago and thought about calling one. Then I'd just realized they'd throw nothing but useless platitudes at me

Reactions: hopeisdead, letmejoindeath and bridgegirl
bridgegirl

bridgegirl

Oct 16, 2023
I was in a really bad place several months ago and thought about calling one. Then I'd just realized they'd throw nothing but useless platitudes at me
That's all ANYONE can do. They screech something they saw cross-stitched on a pillow at you and think you should feel awed and healed.

Reactions: hopeisdead
BlazingBob

BlazingBob

I'm still here b/c of my dogs
Oct 28, 2021
Th

the problem with all these "resources" and mental health services is that our society is broken and no amount of talking, therapy, or pills are ever going to solve any of the actual issues any of us are facing.

Then society turns their back on us and calls us mentally ill because if you're depressed about logical things you are mentally ill.
So very true. There are so many highly intelligent people on this forum it blows my mind. Therein lies the problem. A lot of us see the bigger picture, and once seen it can never be unseen. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Society is sick on so many levels and I truly believe social media has taken it to a new level. I hope the big crash people talk about comes soon and things are turned on their head. Maybe then some meaningful change takes place but I'm not holding my breath. I just want to not exist. I want no part of anything anymore. Does this make sense?

• Love
Reactions: hopeisdead and letmejoindeath
Unhumanly.

Unhumanly.

Recovery are not the winner.
Feb 24, 2023
Calling the hotlines been a ridiculously horrible experience for me and it goes for anyone else here too as it seems,

looking at this thread and the replies made me want to share one of my experience too, it's been a very very ridiculously horrible because right at when I call the hotlines the first things they ask me is do I have sharp stuff or poison near me,

and I knew maybe they ask me that question probably to made sure of my safety but something about that question also made it sounds like they're trying to suggest me to kill myself with that, which goes the opposite of their goals, isn't it, like they wouldn't do that? Wouldn't they? It kind of astound me

So in my thoughts I was like "yeah, I have those stuff around me, do you want me to kill myself with those stuff??"
But actually I just close the call because of just how ridiculous that first question is, that I just don't think I can engage this call further

Reactions: hopeisdead
AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
That's all ANYONE can do. They screech something they saw cross-stitched on a pillow at you and think you should feel awed and healed.
Just say the magic words, like they're casting a spell to make someone happy

• Love
Reactions: letmejoindeath and bridgegirl
bridgegirl

bridgegirl

Oct 16, 2023
Just say the magic words, like they're casting a spell to make someone happy
This is it EXACTLY. All it does it make the person saying it feel better.

• Love
Reactions: hopeisdead, AshClouds and letmejoindeath