Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Retirement questions in case my perceived sense of potential recovery keeps moving forward (knock on wood).

1) Do we know yet what the impact of Brexit will be with respect to Yanks looking to retire in the UK?

2) Do we know or think that the UK will maintain the current policy that requires all non nationals to leave basically all of Europe every 90 days?

Gosh, I would love for Boris and Donald to get rid of that stuff.

Next, I've watched endless videos from YouTubers retiring abroad and I've read all of the retirement publications regarding cost of living. Frankly, the numbers are all over the map with this stuff.

3) For those of you in the UK tell me realistically how much it would cost to retire over there assuming that Brexit changes the policies for Yanks retiring.

I'm extremely frugal and low maintenance.

4) Please give me your opinion how much it would cost to rent either a studio or one bedroom apartment. My only requirement is I do not want to live somewhere where I'm running the risk of a bunch of futbal hooligans burning down my home because the local team loses a heartbreaker. Other than this criteria I'm fairly good living anywhere.

What would you estimate the cost of living to be not incorporating any potential health care costs. Just give me a sense for rent, food, utilities, and public transportation.

Obviously, London is very expensive but I can live anywhere in the UK with a population of over 30,000 people and probably be happy, although I'm a city boy and tend to like large cities.

Gracias, and if ever I move across the pond, I'll buy you a pint, or 10.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4993

From £450 to £650 per month in my city, some are 2 bed apartments btw, higher price range for luxury :smiling:
where is my city is the million dollar question :hug:

Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Dont get doxxed.
Retirement questions in case my perceived sense of potential recovery keeps moving forward (knock on wood).

1) Do we know yet what the impact of Brexit will be with respect to Yanks looking to retire in the UK?

2) Do we know or think that the UK will maintain the current policy that requires all non nationals to leave basically all of Europe every 90 days?

Gosh, I would love for Boris and Donald to get rid of that stuff.

Next, I've watched endless videos from YouTubers retiring abroad and I've read all of the retirement publications regarding cost of living. Frankly, the numbers are all over the map with this stuff.

3) For those of you in the UK tell me realistically how much it would cost to retire over there assuming that Brexit changes the policies for Yanks retiring.

I'm extremely frugal and low maintenance.

4) Please give me your opinion how much it would cost to rent either a studio or one bedroom apartment. My only requirement is I do not want to live somewhere where I'm running the risk of a bunch of futbal hooligans burning down my home because the local team loses a heartbreaker. Other than this criteria I'm fairly good living anywhere.

What would you estimate the cost of living to be not incorporating any potential health care costs. Just give me a sense for rent, food, utilities, and public transportation.

Obviously, London is very expensive but I can live anywhere in the UK with a population of over 30,000 people and probably be happy, although I'm a city boy and tend to like large cities.

Gracias, and if ever I move across the pond, I'll buy you a pint, or 10.
Would love it if you moved near me brother. I live in k#r@h*m and the rent is approx 550 per month.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Chupacabra 44 and Deleted member 4993
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I don't know if Brexit will have any impact on Americans wishing to move here. I can't imagine the ruling will change much as you're outside the EU. But I know absolutely nothing about politics and don't follow them at all.
As for the 90 day policy, again, no idea sadly. I think everyone's focus is on Covid at the minute and Brexit has taken a back seat.
The UK is currently in an economic recession, prices are going up while wages remain the same. People are losing jobs left and right and aren't able to find new ones. At the minute I'd avoid the country all together until we have more stability.
Where I'm from, you can share a house for around £450+ and rent on your own from £650+, bills are sometimes included but not always. If they aren't included you could be looking at £1000 a month just to keep a roof over your head.
Football violence has toned down a lot over the years. If you're worried about it, avoid places where they have derbies, like Manchester, London, Liverpool etc, places where they have more than 1 big club in the Premier league. There are plenty of nice sized towns and cities around England.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: mediocre, Chupacabra 44 and Deleted member 4993
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
I don't know if Brexit will have any impact on Americans wishing to move here. I can't imagine the ruling will change much as you're outside the EU. But I know absolutely nothing about politics and don't follow them at all.
As for the 90 day policy, again, no idea sadly. I think everyone's focus is on Covid at the minute and Brexit has taken a back seat.
The UK is currently in an economic recession, prices are going up while wages remain the same. People are losing jobs left and right and aren't able to find new ones. At the minute I'd avoid the country all together until we have more stability.
Where I'm from, you can share a house for around £450+ and rent on your own from £650+, bills are sometimes included but not always. If they aren't included you could be looking at £1000 a month just to keep a roof over your head.
Football violence has toned down a lot over the years. If you're worried about it, avoid places where they have derbies, like Manchester, London, Liverpool etc, places where they have more than 1 big club in the Premier league. There are plenty of nice sized towns and cities around England.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thank you for taking the time you've given me a lot of information! Since I'm in the states I don't hear as much about your issues as I do about ours, obviously. The stereotype of America being provincial is absolutely true in my opinion. This has been our issue for how many decades?

Generally, I see a Brexit update about once a week on the CNN web page. But I haven't seen anything on that in many weeks. Plus I've intentionally taken a 3 week break from our political news here. Perhaps this is why I'm feeling like I'm might be going into recovery? (I'm just thinking this right now). I'm just so tired of us against them hate in this country. It just drives me up the wall. I have a motto - nothing in life is black and white and anybody who thinks differently think is mistaken, IMO.

Clearly, your explanation on Covid taking the country's focus explains why I'm not seeing brexit stuff.

If you bump into Boris at the pub kindly ask him to lighten up on us Yanks looking to move abroad. :I:haha:

Thank you again for taking time to help!

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and BPD Barbie
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
London you need to be rich!!!!
Manchester is now being looked at as the 'next London' so prices are rising a lot, especially since the BBC moved there.
Others places i'm not so sure of. it depends on what standard of living you are used to, i suppose. how good you are with money etc.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Chupacabra 44
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
Financially from what Barbie and Mm80 stated I'm spending about 3x that amount on rent. (Just one more crum for Dedective Mm80 to doxx me). The only variable that I see where I can get in trouble is if I move to k#r@h*m, then what the hell would my beer budget be drinking pints with my buddy Mm80. Plus, I want to fit in with the locals and not be perceived to be an outsider. How long do you guys think it would take me to learn to talk all funny? Keep in mind I suck at learning foreign languages.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and checkouttime
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Financially from what Barbie and Mm80 stated I'm spending about 3x that amount on rent. (Just one more crum for Dedective Mm80 to doxx me). The only variable that I see where I can get in trouble is if I move to k#r@h*m, then what the hell would my beer budget be drinking pints with my buddy Mm80. Plus, I want to fit in with the locals and not be perceived to be an outsider. How long do you guys think it would take me to learn to talk all funny? Keep in mind I suck at learning foreign languages.

What £3000 a month? you could live alright of that!

depends which way of 'talking funny' you want to learn.

you've got

scouse
manc
cockney
brummie
scottish
welsh
geordie
Irish
yorkshire

and more......take your pick!!!

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Chupacabra 44 and Deleted member 19654
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
I want to learn whatever language they were speaking in the movie, Full Monty. I could only understand half the actors - the other half I had no idea what they were saying. Based on the half I understood, I absolutely love that movie. Can only imagine how much better it would be to understand the entire movie. Was half of that Cockney?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
I haven't seen it. men stripping.....well.....its not my thing lol

each to their own though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Deleted member 4993