• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

ever so lonely

ever so lonely

terry joseph williams
Apr 17, 2022
i dont know about other nations but here in the uk i am noticing community no longer exists, and hasnt for some time, it is very me myself and i, my grandad used to recount stories from his era of people mingling, and a general coming together, a feeling of belonging, you knew your neighbours and were amicable, for the most part, i couldnt tell you my neighbours names, let alone anything about them, we tend to avoid eachother and keep to ourselves, collectively i feel society is now individualised, we have lost our way, many of us are staying indoors, cutting ourselves off, losing out on opportunities, i have been doing it myself, does anybody else see the decline and breakdown happening before them, i am being truthful here, it does appear that there has been a general shift brought on quicker with the lockdowns and covid, anybody else ?, when i think back to the 90s heck even the early naughties, it was never like this, times have changed so rapidly.

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I 100% agree with you. I am 66, reason for mentioning this is I can remember back in the 1960's it was so, so different. Like you said, folks got together and there was a lot more looking out for one another.

Now days it is me, I, and mine. I have seen it all over, as far as someone who has the flashiest vehicle, the fanciest house and on and on.

I 100% abhor this in a fiber of my being.

I always tell folks who start bragging to me about their newest whip (car), that you leave with what you came with, ZERO!

The mark of a great person is how much you not only help society, BUT each and every soul that you come into contact with.

I CANOT stand greedy, self-centered, egotistical and backstabbing people.

That is why SS is and always will be such an important part of not only my life and all of societies, as we all here are just so wonderful and kind to each other.

Walter

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes- definitely. I'm from the UK too. There was a time when people had doors in their garden fences- so you could easily drop in on your neighbours!

I'm a bit of a hermit naturally. I tend to feel socially anxious around people- so I'm horribly anti-social anyway but it seems to be like it all over. My Dad says he doesn't even know most of his neigbours names and he's very gregarious.

When I lived near London in flats, I used to think it was just a privacy thing- we were all so tightly packed in living-wise and commuting/workwise- it seemed like guarding personal space was how to deal with it.

Still- I think you're right- I think it is more of a shift towards people living in isolation. Not even families stay together now. Plus- I'm sure you're right- that covid has only intensified this. I think it does play a part in depression. People don't have the same support circles that maybe they used to.

Golden Slumbers

Golden Slumbers

golden slumbers fill your eyes
Jan 23, 2023
People don't trust each other anymore. The question of how we can solve this is critically important.

T

timetosleep

Feb 19, 2019
I have a mixed thought about this. I don't know if it's actually a good or a bad thing. On one hand, I do wish that there is a sense of community where people help out one another. On the other, I am glad that there is a distance so that people don't take advantages or hurt one another so much.

Rainy_days

Rainy_days

Experienced
Dec 21, 2022
Yes it's quite noticeably different from even the 90s. I think it is sad although I'm so used to hiding from people that the thought of being neighborly and sociable sounds scary and awful to me. I can never tell how much things like this are because of society or my own habits/personality.