• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
Elllow :D

I was wondering if anyone has any good book recommendations they would like to share :) . I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to books. Self discovery is always a big hit. But it doesn't need to that either. Whatever you feel like is worth th read is cool.
Ps: As long as it doesn't involve gore, murder stories and those kinds of scary things. All recommendations will be very much appreciated ♥️😊
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
B

BlessedBeTheFlame

All things are nothing to me
Feb 2, 2024
I can't gauge what you mean with gore or murder stories. It can mean anything from "Nothing violence-related can happen" to "Anything less scary than Dexter is fine." I'll go off of what I would assume it meant tho.
Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino: My favorite Calvino book. A short story anthology, that simply describes a number of imaginary towns. Beautifully written and has a ton of themes coming together. My other favorite Calvino books are If on a Winters Night a Traveler and Cosmicomics.
Ficciones - Jorge Luis Borges: Similarly, a short story anthology. It deals with more mathematical and metaphysical themes, but is ultimately easily understandable. Tlön is my favorite short story of all time. It's about a fictional place, where peoples imagination becomes real in a sense. Borges wrote lots more stories in other anthologies.
The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov: Practically a remake of Faust, set in Soviet Moscow. Both very funny and rich in depth. Some might consider it darker, but I don't remember it containing specifically the things you requested against.
The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut: I wanna recommend Breakfast of Champions, as it's my favorite Vonnegut work, but that one has a nasty ending. Sirens of Titan however is similarly dense and funny. Deals with ideas like free will and morality, while delivering good science-fiction. Cats Cradle is another classic of his.
Gravitys Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon: Includes a lot of war-related things and some gross-out humor. Ultimately it contains so much dense, deep variety and has such unusual approaches to its ideas. Very long book tho and there's an absurd amount happening in it. My second-favorite of his has always been Mason & Dixon.
The Trial - Franz Kafka: Story about a man being accussed of an unknown crime and having to weave through the bureaucratic system. It is very dark and bleak, but not in a flashy or bloody way, but more in an overbearing, nihilistic way. I guess it contains one bloody scene, but is ultimately harmless.
Pale Fire - Vladimir Nabokov: I don't even know how to describe this. A poem, in which footnotes are inserted, that start revealing another characters connections further and further. It's crazy what Nabokov came up with and how he executes it. It's a massive mindfuck tho, so be warned.
The Waves - Virginia Woolf: 6 friends try to work through the death of one of their friends. It largely only tells its stories through revealing the characters through thoughts, blending them together over the entirity of the book.

Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
hmmm...
Well, not books so much as authors, i guess.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes series. I mean, it's a bit old English but i've always gone back to that series from time to time.
Dick Francis - his books center around the world of horse racing, and usually the protagonist is a jockey or someone who used to be a jockey.
John Grisham's always centered around lawyers
Tom Clancy's do have gore in them a bit BUT focus more on the technical stuff. There are times i think that just by reading his books you can build your own nuclear submarine. Or take out a cartel.
John Le Carre's focuses on the psychological aspects of spying, not much action there compared to Clancy's but a good behind the scenes, i think.
Frederick Forsythe's more on the action side of things
Jack Higgins' is always good for a short break. Not so much thinking there, more action.
Jeffrey Archer's books span generations (in terms of characters) but he does have a collection of short stories that are pretty nice in my opinion.

Reactions: sserafim
Ferdinand Bardamu

Ferdinand Bardamu

DO YOU WANT TOTAL WAR?
Feb 22, 2024
Pessoa's poetry and the book of disquiet.
Kafka, Borges, and Hemingway's short stories.
No longer Human by Dazai.
The selected writings of Antonin Artaud.

MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

sleep deprived and/or drunk
Jul 23, 2023
count of monte cristo or if you want something shorter, catcher in the rye, da vinci code...

hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
Observatory Mansions by Edward Carey, Last Summer in the City by Gianfranco Calligarich, Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, & Junky by Burroughs🧸they all deal w mental illness though so are def geared towards darker themes, just to lyk.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
a "couple" of my favorites
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
"The story is about African Americans working in white households in Jackson, Mississippi, during the early 1960s."
I also enjoyed the movie

And the A Court of Thorns and Roses Series by Sarah J. Maas
Its a fantasy/romance genre
i can actually speak to the rest of the series, i havent read it yet due to memory problems setting in after reading the first one. but i liked the first one and hope the rest will be just as good 🤞

Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
I saw someone already mentioned Pale Fire, my favorite book ever, so I'll suggest
Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellow
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
Stoner by John Williams