Okokaykay

Okokaykay

May 10, 2023
Are there any books you'd recommend that really nail the loneliness that comes with depression/suicidal ideation? Ive read 'no longer human' and a few books by Murakami.

I'm not sure how to explain it, but I find that books like this offer a weird sense of comfort and relief.

• Love
Reactions: isitmeorisitnot, leavingthesoultrap, lachrymost and 4 others
N

NoHorizon

Experienced
Nov 22, 2022
Shoot the Damn Dog by Sally Brampton is a really relatable account of suicidal depression.

Reactions: lachrymost, foxgirl and Yaffle
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I really liked the book by Bessel van der Kolk - " The body keeps the Score". Relating to trauma.

Reactions: Okokaykay and NoHorizon
brownbear

brownbear

Aug 27, 2023
The bell jar by Sylvia Plath is a masterpiece. If you enjoyed Murakami and Dazai youll most likely grow to like her too :)

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, lifewasawillowtv, jar-baby and 1 other person
Y

Yaffle

Lifeā€™s a bitch
Nov 9, 2023
Shoot the Damn Dog by Sally Brampton is a really relatable account of suicidal depression.
Never heard of it but what a brilliant title šŸ‘

• Yay!
Reactions: Kit1, NoHorizon and Okokaykay
Okokaykay

Okokaykay

May 10, 2023
The bell jar by Sylvia Plath is a masterpiece. If you enjoyed Murakami and Dazai youll most likely grow to like her too :)
i read the bell jar forever ago but honestly remember nothing lol! i might give it a reread

• Love
Reactions: brownbear
AllCatsAreGrey

AllCatsAreGrey

they/he
Sep 27, 2023
High on my list would be Sartre's novella "Nausea".

Reactions: Okokaykay
AllCatsAreGrey

AllCatsAreGrey

they/he
Sep 27, 2023
If you're interested in philosophy and critical theory, I'd recommend Laura Berlant's work. Cruel Optimism has been huge for me. I'm currently working on their last book, The Inconvenience of Other People. It's rather academic and may not be what you're looking for. I share it because it's been big for me in both grasping the pangs of existential loneliness and figuring out how to be while I'm here.

WeDontKnowTheFuture

WeDontKnowTheFuture

Student
Feb 3, 2023
kurt cobain - Journals

Reactions: asian, lachrymost and AllCatsAreGrey
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
'The Day of the Jackal' by Frederick Forsythe
'Archangel' by Robert Harris
'Trigger Mortis' by Anthony Horowitz

Reactions: AllCatsAreGrey
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
I really liked the book by Bessel van der Kolk - " The body keeps the Score". Relating to trauma.

did see right now this short youtube video:

• Love
Reactions: Kit1 and breezeboy
prtsn

prtsn

Apr 16, 2023
I'd recommend Almost Transparent Blue by Ryu Murakami, The Emigrants by W. G Sebald isnt about suicide but it has dark tones overall

pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
No longer human

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu and Okokaykay
qifreys

qifreys

delusional chemistry major
Jan 14, 2024
any of franz kafka's works

• Yay!
Reactions: dustyrainbow and Tokugawa_Yoshinobu
Tired_of_myself

Tired_of_myself

Jan 2, 2024
im reading The Dream of a Ridiculous Manā€¦ here for the recommendations :)

Hardcore_Henry

Hardcore_Henry

Water Drinker
Dec 24, 2023
"On a Pale Horse" by Piers Anthony. its the first in a series of books

Its about a guy who is about to commit suicide when "Death" comes through the door. instead the MC kills "Death" on accident and ends up having to take his place.

i finished it and I'm on the second one, i liked it a lot so i guess i'd recommend it. :)

ForsakenEcho

ForsakenEcho

in every universe...
Jan 14, 2024
I'm reading The Midnight Library, its about a woman that commits suicide and finds herself in a library where the books enable her to live as if she had done things differently

N

NoHorizon

Experienced
Nov 22, 2022
I'm reading The Midnight Library, its about a woman that commits suicide and finds herself in a library where the books enable her to live as if she had done things differently
I love this book.

• Love
Reactions: ForsakenEcho
Chocomel

Chocomel

Chocolate Milk
Jan 13, 2024
Are there any books you'd recommend that really nail the loneliness that comes with depression/suicidal ideation? Ive read 'no longer human' and a few books by Murakami.

I'm not sure how to explain it, but I find that books like this offer a weird sense of comfort and relief.
I sold my life for 10000 yen. I'm really bad at explaining but it's premise is that the MC sold his life so he can die sooner and have a lot of money to spend, but it turns out his remaining life didn't worth that many to begin with.