Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Does anybody else feel that so called body language experts are creeps? Imagine living your life examining and looking for body movements to judge someone. It's just awful nonsense to me.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, bubo, waitingforrest and 7 others
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
No. I think it's useful because it teaches one how to discern deceptive qualities in others.

• Wow
  • Informative
Reactions: waitingforrest, FlaxFlower, kittykrying and 3 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
No. I think it's useful because it teaches one how to discern deceptive qualities in others.
So if a person doesn't remain eye contact they are deceptive? Maybe they have autism or anxiety. Or what if somebody is crossing is their arms, does that mean the person is closing off? Maybe the person just feels comfortable in this position. Do you see where I am going with this? Seems like you have bought into the Pseudoscience bullshit. But sadly, you are not the only one.

Last edited:
Reactions: lofticries, bubo, waitingforrest and 6 others
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
So if a person doesn't remain eye contact they are deceptive? Maybe they have autism or anxiety. Or what if somebody is crossing is their arms, does that mean the person is closing off? Maybe the person just feels comfortable in this position. Do you see where I am going with this?
It's still important to know how most people interpret body language- I used tyo cross my arms a lot for comfort until I foudn ouyt how it is usually interpreted and then I stopped. It's important to know how most people interpret body language in order to be able to communicate better. We don't make up the language but we need to learn it to connect, just like we need to learn English or whatever.

Reactions: waitingforrest, rationaltake, whatevs and 2 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
It's still important to know how most people interpret body language- I used tyo cross my arms a lot for comfort until I foudn ouyt how it is usually interpreted and then I stopped. It's important to know how most people interpret body language in order to be able to communicate better. We don't make up the language but we need to learn it to connect, just like we need to learn English or whatever.
Body language is not a universal language. And the fact that you felt that you had to stop crossing your arms because you would feel like you would be judged just shows you how bullshit it all is. So if I were to rub my nose would that mean that I was doubtful or rejecting an idea? Or maybe my nose was just itchy or irritated :)). Do you see how all of this can be so easily misinterpreted?

Last edited:
Reactions: waitingforrest, Un-, Rogue Proxy and 5 others
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Body language is not a universal language. And the fact that you felt that you had to stop crossing your arms because you would feel like you would be judged just shows you how bullshit it all is. So if I were to rub my nose would that mean that I was doubtful or rejecting an idea? Or maybe my nose was just itchy or irritated :)). Do you see how all of this can be so easily misinterpreted?
Of course it can be misinterpreted, I'm not saying that I tink body language is precise at all, I'm saying that it exists and that certain body language means certain things- and I'm sure it varies by culture, and some people read it differently than others. It is complicated and very easily interpreted in many different ways. BUt still, a persomn is better off learning what the basic body language things mean in their culture in order to be able to better communicate.

• Informative
Reactions: waitingforrest and Huntfish34
abyss

abyss

Jul 13, 2022
I used to feel the same way but that was because I was insecure about my own body language, knowing it was subpar and gave off bad vibes. But then I accepted I was making life harder for myself. Being good at body language is a useful skill, it's part of human nature to notice these things.

• Informative
Reactions: waitingforrest, rationaltake, Someone123 and 5 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Of course it can be misinterpreted, I'm not saying that I tink body language is precise at all, I'm saying that it exists and that certain body language means certain things- and I'm sure it varies by culture, and some people read it differently than others. It is complicated and very easily interpreted in many different ways. BUt still, a persomn is better off learning what the basic body language things mean in their culture in order to be able to better communicate.
Okay, we will just have to agree to disagree. I just think it is largely just other ways to judge and narrow people down. It also makes people paranoid if they think they are being judged based on their body movements. The potential for error is just too great and, personally, I think it is just another method of control and manipulation. But, I don't mind debating about it. That's why I brought it up.

Reactions: waitingforrest, Isisnefert, obafgkm and 2 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Does anybody else feel that so called body language experts are creeps? Imagine living your life examining and looking for body movements to judge someone. It's just awful nonsense to me.
Yes.
And more importantly, I think they're frauds and the content they put out is nauseating, they make sure to get their personal 2 cents in there and people actually take them seriously instead of thinking for themselves (any superficial disclaimers don't change that).
I'm not saying there's nothing to be gleaned from a person's body language but these supposed "experts" are all over the place and they can have rather harmful effects on the subjects they're analyzing (and their audience is similarly toxic).
Seems to be a lot of confirmation bias involved too..not very ethical to include that type of thing in serious matters such as suspecting individuals of committing a crime.
I have no patience for the more vapid sort of body language analysis either.

I'm just sick of these people regardless of how accurate they are (or aren't).
I do not need to know what Chad from '90 Day financial strain' is thinking when he twitches his eyeball in front of his MIL.
I really don't.
It's along the same lines as the Psychologists (and the like) now going online and dissecting every tv personality in existence to the orgasmic flush of their shallow subscribers.

No thanks.

• Love
Reactions: waitingforrest, Élégie, Rogue Proxy and 2 others
F

Fayefaye

Jul 15, 2022
In the middle here. Depends on how they go about it individually. I DO get a bad taste in my mouth with the guy from "observe". I think cause he sets himself up as more of an authority than any body language analyst could be, as it's far from a perfect science, and not really a science at all imo.

Versus Spidey of the channel "the behavioral arts". He's a lot more transparent, and has a disclaimer every video about it never being 100% accurate or certain. Much more respect for him versus others that puff themselves up like some expert and as if the field is absolutely valid.

Creepy though, not so much. More leaning to scummy and verging on manipulative.

Reactions: lofticries, waitingforrest, Lost Magic and 1 other person
O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
We all judge each other from their body language. It's part of communication. Those creeps only say it out for money. But there is only so much truth in it. When they run out of truth to say, they make things up.

Reactions: waitingforrest, Someone123 and LastFlowers
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021

Well, some people need to make a living off of guess-work.

I believe that a very small portion of all body language can be analyzed in the way those analysts do, since people use body language in different ways.

Reactions: waitingforrest and obafgkm
D

Deleted member 847

Body language is just people trying to read your emotional state, analyze your psychology.
Your subconscious mind can't lie,
Your body always reacts to how you feel.
If you're scared, insecure or anxious you will avoid eye contact,
speak in a low pitch, hesitate a lot, be very inhibited
Someone that's confident and in his comfort zone will behave
the exact opposite

It can be useful in countless ways

Someone that's avoiding eye contact isn't necessarily lying, but you can tell he is insecure for some reason,
avoiding eye contact is an act of submission, avoidance of danger
and that can give you some information about the person

Everything you do and say can tell people about your intentions and emotional state,
not just your body language

If tomorrow you talk to a friend and use a word you've never used before,
he'll think that you're trying to improve your vocabulary,
or that you're smarter than he thought

If you always talk about homosexuals, maybe in a derogatory way,
someone will know that for some reason you're obsessed with homosexuals,
maybe you're secretly gay or read a lot of articles about them in your free time.
And they can tell that because there was a point in time when you never talked to them about homosexuality.

Your psychology can be somewhat dissected and analyzed

Reactions: akana, waitingforrest and Someone123
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I don't like eye contact, feels very weird and creepy to stare into someone's eyes for a prolonged period of time. Unless it's a dog.

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, lofticries, Message In A Bottle and 1 other person
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
I don't like eye contact, feels very weird and creepy to stare into someone's eyes for a prolonged period of time. Unless it's a dog.
In many animal species, including dogs, prolonged eye contact is considered threatening or challenging.

I agree that human body language - and facial expressions - is often confusing, nonsensical, and/or disconcerting. Another bone in the grinder is microexpressions. Microexpressions are too quick and subtle for me to pick up; they are literally invisible to me.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, waitingforrest, obafgkm and 1 other person
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
me neither but I have social anxiety so that's why I don't make too much eye contact. But a so called Body language expert might say I was a dishonest person hiding the truth.
You're lying bro! 😡
No, I just have an anxiety disorder jackass! :))

• Yay!
Reactions: katagiri83, waitingforrest, obafgkm and 1 other person
O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
In many animal species, including dogs, prolonged eye contact is considered threatening or challenging.

I agree that human body language - and facial expressions - is often confusing, nonsensical, and/or disconcerting. Another bone in the grinder is microexpressions. Microexpressions are too quick and subtle for me to pick up; they are literally invisible to me.
Most of psychology is tested on western college students. It might not apply to other cultures. Some culture may stipulate lower ranked people not make direct eye contacts with their seniors.

Reactions: waitingforrest and Rogue Proxy
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018

Interesting, never even heard of microexpressions before.
me neither but I have social anxiety so that's why I don't make too much eye contact. But a so called Body language expert might say I was a dishonest person hiding the truth.
You're lying bro! 😡
Haha me too, although that's not always even the reason why. I could feel totally comfortable with someone and still not want to stare into their eyes. :ahhha: So maybe we just aren't all speaking the same language.

Reactions: waitingforrest, Rogue Proxy and Lost Magic
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
You're lying bro! 😡

Haha me too, although that's not always even the reason why. I could feel totally comfortable with someone and still not want to stare into their eyes. :ahhha: So maybe we just aren't all speaking the same language.
Other reasons why I avoid eye contact are sensory and emotional overstimulation, lassitude, and pain. Anthropogenic environments are hostile, unnatural, draining, and toxic to me. The constant onslaught of loud, shrill, and continuous noises; fast movement, bright lights, sometimes temperature, and unconsensual human touch assaults my senses, resulting in overstimulation, stress, fatigue, and even physical pain. In addition to sensory issues, human interactions usually cause emotional overload, including the infrequent positive ones. Humans and their environment also exacerbate pain, stress, and fatigue that I experience. Therefore, I look downward, blink frequently, close my eyes for longer periods, or avert my gaze whenever I'm stressed, exhausted, overwhelmed, and/or in pain, especially when trying to alleviant myself from visual overstimulation.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: waitingforrest and Lost Magic
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Other reasons why I avoid eye contact are sensory and emotional overstimulation, lassitude, and pain. Anthropogenic environments are hostile, unnatural, draining, and toxic to me. The constant onslaught of loud, shrill, and continuous noises; fast movement, bright lights, sometimes temperature, and unconsensual human touch assaults my senses, resulting in overstimulation, stress, fatigue, and even physical pain. In addition to sensory issues, human interactions usually cause emotional overload, including the infrequent positive ones. Humans and their environment also exacerbate pain, stress, and fatigue that I experience. Therefore, I look downward, blink frequently, close my eyes for longer periods, or avert my gaze whenever I'm stressed, exhausted, overwhelmed, and/or in pain, especially when trying to alleviant myself from visual overstimulation.
I'm sorry you have to deal with all that pain. That's a lot to handle and no doubt draining. See a person like your good self would have to tell people all that before they pre-judged you. Fucking pseudo-intellectuals make me laugh :)) Saying that I have one body language sign that is pretty universal and this is for them 🖕

• Hugs
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, obafgkm and waitingforrest
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I think ''body language experts'' over analyze harmless actions. Some people just cross their arms or legs because it's comfortable, or blink too much because they have dry eyes. All based on circumstances, but people tend to take the advice as undenieable gospel.
It's creepy in my personal opinion on how some of these ''experts'' have a cult following.

Reactions: katagiri83, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, obafgkm and 2 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I think ''body language experts'' over analyze harmless actions. Some people just cross their arms or legs because it's comfortable, or blink too much because they have dry eyes. All based on circumstances, but people tend to take the advice as undenieable gospel.
It's creepy in my personal opinion on how some of these ''experts'' have a cult following.
indeed. Imagine how many of those cult followers are eyeballing everybody around them, guessing intentions and motives just through body language.

Last edited:
Reactions: waitingforrest
O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
Body language is statistics at best, if not fabrication. Say 7 people or of 10 have that correlation. They speak as if it's universal.

• Informative
Reactions: waitingforrest
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Body language is statistics at best, if not fabrication. Say 7 people or of 10 have that correlation. They speak as if it's universal.
Some body language is more clear than others, and some use it more than others- sometimes deliberately, sometimes not. But it is best to not ignore it as a form of communication because it is an important part of communication, even though it is often imprecise.

• Informative
Reactions: waitingforrest and obafgkm