DeathSleep

DeathSleep

Unstable Potato
May 25, 2023
Does anyone know if the cops take things like someone's computer after suicide in the U.S.? For evidence/investigation or whatever maybe to help rule out homicide I guess. Do they care? Or maybe it depends on which state I'm in. I think they give suicide notes back. Or at least a copy of it. I'm sure they'll give the computer back... I just want to make sure it gets to the right person.

My laptop is pretty much the only thing I have of value and I'd like to leave it to someone. Not sure if cops search for such a thing in the event of a suicide. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to give it away without raising alarm and making sure my friend gets it and it doesn't just get taken by someone else who finds me. (I don't trust the person I live with.) It's my prized possession and I'll be leaving it with a little cash that I saved up too (which I may leave in my laptop bag or probably leave it in a sealed envelope separately).

Do I have to put it in a will to be sure? Or will my wishes be accepted through my note?

Maybe this is dumb. I think I'm making this harder than it needs to be. I do know how I'll leave my note (and a copy just in case).

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
3/4Dead

3/4Dead

Peace, Love, Empathy
Feb 27, 2024
I would put it in your will to be safe, but to the best of my knowledge, the police just let your next of kin (parents/close family etc.) decide what to do with your things, especially if it is clearly a suicide, and don't really mess with anything aside from the actual body.

If you know where your friend lives, I'd swing by their place and drop it off before CTB, or mail it to them before.

Reactions: DeathSleep
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Do I have to put it in a will to be sure? Or will my wishes be accepted through my note?
You have to write a will in an official form. You can check how it is legally accepted as a will. You may have to write and sign it with your hand, no print outs or PDF for example. Check your local laws and regulations for that

If you know where your friend lives, I'd swing by their place and drop it off before CTB, or mail it to them before.
And what happens in the case of a failed attempt?

Reactions: DeathSleep
3/4Dead

3/4Dead

Peace, Love, Empathy
Feb 27, 2024
And what happens in the case of a failed attempt?
Good point. Had not considered this.

I suppose you could come up with a reason why you would need for your friend to hold on to your computer "temporarily", as OP said they do not trust the person they live with it could be belivable. That you'd have to leave it at your place unattended for a few days or something and you don't feel comfortable with that, so you'd like to keep somewhere safe.

Oh, or go hang at their place with your laptop and "forget it" that way you can retrieve it in case of a failed attempt, and in the case of a sucessful attempt they will have it and your will can clarify that you wish for them to keep it.

A bit complicated, but it's the best suggestions I've got, hopefully it can be a starting point for some more ideas, or just whatever their laws about wills are can make things easier šŸ‘

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and DeathSleep