Ashley_1988

Ashley_1988

Dec 13, 2019
did u know about Belgium's legation's in regard to assisted suicide and not only for patients who are physically ill? I had no idea and i am living in the neighboring country...though.

(in regard to the following links video-documentaries on that subject TW!! if you don´t want to think about ctb and feel triggerd by that topic don't watch!! )

some videos if u are interested:

Reactions: Predestinated, Buffy5120 and lobster salad
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Injection, huh? I hate needles.

Reactions: lobster salad
Ame

Ame

あめ
Nov 1, 2019
Yes, for some adults (mature minors are ineligible in this particular case) presenting with a psychiatric condition, it is possible to access euthanasia if a physician determines that they meet all of the criteria outlined under the law. However, it is not a quick and clear cut procedure and it is even stated that euthanasia is not a right and that a physician is free to refuse:

"L'euthanasie n'est cependant pas un droit : introduire une demande d'euthanasie ne garantit pas que celle-ci soit pratiquée. Même si toutes les conditions légales sont réunies, le médecin est libre d'accepter ou de refuser de pratiquer une euthanasie. S'il refuse, il est tenu d'en informer en temps utile le patient ou la personne de confiance éventuelle en précisant les raisons de son choix. Le patient peut alors se tourner vers un autre médecin."

In the case of those suffering from mental illnesses, there are multiple assessments and one is usually required to wait for months before receiving a response. It is not something that is taken lightly and there is special care take to ensure that a patient's condition is in fact irredeemable.

Injection, huh? I hate needles.

In most jurisdictions where euthanasia is available, there is usually an option for oral administration of the medications used in ending the patient's life. In Belgium specifically, there is even a recipe that makes the oral formulation of barbiturates more palatable (ex: sugary syrups, star anise etc). In these regimens, metoclopramide is also the antiemetic of choice and I suspect that this is why it appears in the Peaceful Pill Handbook.

Reactions: Lostandlooking, Ashley_1988, Nexey and 3 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I guess I'll be moving to Belgium if I ever decide to ctb.

Reactions: Buffy5120
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Thanks 4 sharing. Media makes it sound so easy!
Yes and unfortunately most members on SS think in Belgium they would just have to snap their fingers to ctb.

• Love
Reactions: kukukoko, WornOutLife and Ame
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
Thank you for sharing, @Ashley_31
I just finished watching Emily's story and tears are streaming down my cheeks... I'm at a loss for words. Why, why, why is there so much pain in this world?!?!

I can't take it anymore. I don't understand anything.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking, Ame and Superdeterminist
Nexey

Nexey

Student
Feb 18, 2021
Yep, and it's not like you can just travel to Belgium to CTB, as far as I'm aware of. You have to be a citizen. Oh well, at least progress is going in the right direction.

Reactions: whitefeather
whitefeather

whitefeather

Thank the gods for Death
Apr 23, 2020
Canada includes mental illness >
https://globalnews.ca/news/7703262/canada-senate-passes-bill-c-7/
did u know about Belgium's legation's in regard to assisted suicide and not only for patients who are physically ill? I had no idea and i am living in the neighboring country...though.

(in regard to the following links video-documentaries on that subject TW!! if you don´t want to think about ctb and feel triggerd by that topic don't watch!! )

some videos if u are interested:

Canada includes mental illness > https://globalnews.ca/news/7703262/canada-senate-passes-bill-c-7/ . Canada requres longtime residency. And Canada does NOT require the Terminal "6 month" prognosis like the usa/wall street jail)

Last edited:
C

Crusader

● I do not live ● ● I exist ●
Mar 6, 2021
Can citizens of other EU countries apply for assisted suicide in Belgium even if they do not live in Belgium ?

S

ShadowSide

Feb 28, 2021
Can citizens of other EU countries apply for assisted suicide in Belgium even if they do not live in Belgium ?
I don't thinks so... and even if the could, the process takes years! I live here and I've looked into it. Only when you have been deemed untreatable can you apply otherwise it's more therapy for you.

Reactions: Crusader
H

HopelessFight

Warlock
Jan 31, 2021
No, and even for citizens it's extremely rare and hard.

Source: myself. I went to request euthanasia. Lieve Thienpont (the psychiatrist who basically handles the majority of these cases) wasn't even willing to formally start the procedure because of a lack of evidence that all other options had been tried before. After the famous "euthanasia trial" beginning of 2020, doctors are even more resistant of doing this.

Some people here seem to believe Belgium/The Netherlands are countries where it's easy to get euthanasia and it kinda is if you have a terminal, psysical disease. But for mental suffering? Thats extremely rare.

There certainly is no "basic human right to die" in Belgium or any other country I know of.

Last edited:
Reactions: LifeQuitter2018, Lostandlooking, Trisolaris and 3 others
C

Crusader

● I do not live ● ● I exist ●
Mar 6, 2021
That´s interesting. The media report something completely different. I´m glad to have the option in Switzerland.

Reactions: Trisolaris