ConfusedHurting2632

ConfusedHurting2632

Student
Dec 22, 2021
I rarely post or comment on the internet anymore, nor do I have the desire to, due to people treating me like I'm retarded. On Reddit it was especially bad due to the downvote system, which makes everything passive-aggressive, and even when I politely asked what I did wrong that somehow warranted even more downvotes, but it's happened on any website, forum, or app I posted/commented on.

Maybe the problem is me, and not the rest of the internet, or maybe I really just am stupid enough for people to treat me that way, or maybe I'm just not cut out for the internet or too sensitive for it, but it's still unfortunate.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, FML_, littlelungs and 8 others
Doombox

Doombox

Who knows, who cares
Apr 7, 2022
Reddit can be a cesspool. The internet in general is a tough place to be. I've been treated like I'm stupid on this board. I don't know what to think of people who tell their personal stories here and make themselves vulnerable. I wouldn't dream of it. I try to contribute cautiously, ever aware that at any moment somebody might be poised to misunderstand me and share their negative assumptions.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, whatevs, artificial_ineptness and 4 others
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I rarely post or comment on the internet anymore, nor do I have the desire to, due to people treating me like I'm retarded. On Reddit it was especially bad due to the downvote system, which makes everything passive-aggressive, and even when I politely asked what I did wrong that somehow warranted even more downvotes, but it's happened on any website, forum, or app I posted/commented on.

It's unfortunate that you have had to suffer like this.

Social media is today's equivalent to offline bullying, but with added reach, which means that the whole world is free to bully you.

Maybe the problem is me, and not the rest of the internet, or maybe I really just am stupid enough for people to treat me that way, or maybe I'm just not cut out for the internet or too sensitive for it, but it's still unfortunate.

Since I don't know what you have written, I can't say for sure whether it's you or someone who is the source of the problem, but I would think that any social media platform makes people uncaring and unnecessarily hostile. If I am to guess, they are probably just displaying their own bitterness.

• Love
Reactions: apple2myeye!, not-2-b-the-answer, Disappointered and 1 other person
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
That's how people online treat others in general.

The only time anyone really wants to give someone their full attention is when they are arguing, and boy, you can find anyone willing to get offended over a statement.

All I can say is, fuck 'em.

They're just people behind a screen.

In fact, many of them, including people on Reddit, aren't even real people at all, but bots.

• Love
Reactions: littlelungs, Rapière, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
ConfusedHurting2632

ConfusedHurting2632

Student
Dec 22, 2021
Reddit can be a cesspool. The internet in general is a tough place to be. I've been treated like I'm stupid on this board. I don't know what to think of people who tell their personal stories here and make themselves vulnerable. I wouldn't dream of it. I try to contribute cautiously, ever aware that at any moment somebody might be poised to misunderstand me and share their negative assumptions.
Oh yeah, Reddit definitely can be a cesspool, and the internet in general is a tough place to be. This board from my experience seems to be nicer than most other places, though you're right it definitely can be mean as well. Oh yes, it's definitely brave of those people to share their personal stories and make themselves vulnerable. I've done it a couple of times but not super often. And yes, I got you on the misunderstanding and negative assumptions. It really is a risk.
It's unfortunate that you have had to suffer like this.

Social media is today's equivalent to offline bullying, but with added reach, which means that the whole world is free to bully you.

Since I don't know what you have written, I can't say for sure whether it's you or someone who is the source of the problem, but I would think that any social media platform makes people uncaring and unnecessarily hostile. If I am to guess, they are probably just displaying their own bitterness.
I definitely agree with you on social media being equal to offline bullying but with added reach. That's basically exactly what it is.

I don't really remember what I've written, but if I were to guess as general common sense it's probably a mixture of both me being the problem and other people. Other people because like you said, social media platforms make people uncaring and hostile. But me because if it's a consistent pattern then I also keep making myself a target in some way, and probably need to change the way I approach things.

Last edited:
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Doombox
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
People can be cruel, often for no good reason and that is just the way that they are unfortunately. Sometimes it is better not to interact at all in my opinion, as then there is no chance of others making things worse. I'm sorry that you had this experience.

• Love
Reactions: Burner1234, LastFlowers, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
ConfusedHurting2632

ConfusedHurting2632

Student
Dec 22, 2021
That's how people online treat others in general.

The only time anyone really wants to give someone their full attention is when they are arguing, and boy, you can find anyone willing to get offended over a statement.

All I can say is, fuck 'em.

They're just people behind a screen.

In fact, many of them, including people on Reddit, aren't even real people at all, but bots.
You're right. It's just how people online treat others in general, and all you can really say is fuck 'em in the end. People behind a screen don't really mean shit. And of course, there's bots, like you said.
People can be cruel, often for no good reason and that is just the way that they are unfortunately. Sometimes it is better not to interact at all in my opinion, as then there is no chance of others making things worse. I'm sorry that you had this experience.
People can indeed be cruel...not much we can do about it, unfortunately. Yeah, I agree, it is often better just to not say anything at all, as then things can't made to be worse. And it's okay. I imagine I'm not the only one who's been through this.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I definitely agree with you on social media being equal to offline bullying but with added reach. That's basically exactly what it is.

I don't really remember what I've written, but if I were to guess as general common sense it's probably a mixture of both me being the problem and other people. Other people because like you said, social media platforms make people uncaring and hostile. But me because if it's a consistent pattern then I also keep making myself a target in some way, and probably need to change the way I approach things.

Since I don't have anythig concrete to base any assumption on, I must ask you if I understand it correctly that you tend to join in online discussions on Reddit? If so, you don't need to feel like you are "retarded" - as you put it. However, any online interaction may come with backlash, which means that if you disagree with someone online, they might try to put you into a bad light.

Anyhow, people online are very unimportant - including me - so try not to take anything that anyone writes online seriously :wink:

It's just sad that the online world has taken up so much space during the rise of the Internet, that any online interaction takes up so much of a percentage of all interactions.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and ConfusedHurting2632
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
I don't think it is completely about being sensitive or cut out to roam the internet alleys.

I could be wrong. It seems you are letting the people and the forum rating systems upset your mood and your day.

You have no control over how people on the net vote or how they view you on the net and in real life.

What you do have is control over how you respond.

Don't like the negativity? Don't give it your energy by responding.

People are going to disagree with you, but that doesn't mean you have to spend the entire day defending your position (unless you said something truly offensive, in which case they are going to tell you about yourself.)

Also, even though there does not seem to be a lot of drama on this site, people here disagree vehemently on certain topics.

Disagreements are unavoidable, but there are ways to handle them so people don't feel slighted, ego bruised, etc.

I think in most of these situations where there is a disagreement between two people, one's "ability to let that which does not matter truly slide" needs to come into play with the understanding that sometimes walking away is better than playing who's Johnson is longer.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Sorry for the rambling thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: Alcoholic Teletubby and ConfusedHurting2632
Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
Downvotes on Reddit should be seen as a badge of honor.
This is too accurate. I can't remember the last time I've seen a normal, friendly, productive conversatiom on the internet.
Anyhow, people online are very unimportan
This goes for people IRL too. Choose carefully whom you allow to get into your head.

• Love
Reactions: whatevs, Doombox, ConfusedHurting2632 and 1 other person
kappa

kappa

Experienced
Apr 2, 2019
It's Reddit… kind of how it is. Bunch of weirdos on there who will dig up your post history, and even find your deleted posts and follow you around.

Only upvotes I get are on a hate sub Reddit soooo…