G

Gaming Chicken

Waiting for the bus
Dec 7, 2022
Got in an argument with my father about a week ago. He told me he knew I was suicidal (I had no intention of ever mentioning it to him) and that I should just get over it. Because he "knows" me and if I really was idve done it by now. I don't know how he expected me to feel about it, but o almost took a neck tie and hung myself that night. A part of me thinks that i shouldhave just to show him the impact that his words can have, while another part of me thinks that he just said that to help push me towards the decision to kms. He has no regard for anyone but himself so it could easily be his way of getting me out of his life. He's always been emotionally abusive which largely contributed to my depersonalization, a defense mechanism of sorts so that I can roll with the punches without having anything affect me. If I'm distant and emotionally detached then nothing can really hurt me. Granted, the last thing I wanna do when I leave this wretched planet is make things worse for those I leave behind, so I don't know if his comments will stick with him when I'm gone, or if he'll just be relieved that I'd finally followed through.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: anhedonicNfoggy, ShanaRei, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 3 others
autistocracy

autistocracy

angel
Dec 1, 2022
I'm sorry you had that experience. That was a very insensitive thing for him to say. I hope you know that you're feelings deserve to be taken seriously.
What people don't understand about suicide, is that you are literally killing someone. The fact that it's ourselves makes no difference. Since most of humanity has no desire to directly kill another human being, suicide is difficult to commit to. There's also the added hurdles of choosing whatever methods that are accessible to us that will be at least 50% effective. Most successful suicides are meticulously planned.

Reactions: Jezzibell and Gaming Chicken
PreCambrianBliss

PreCambrianBliss

Touring the primordial aeon
Apr 26, 2023
That's such an incredibly hurtful thing to say, it doesn't even make sense in the first place. Your life, your choices, and your emotions are more important than anyone else's opinions of you ever will be. Don't let people pressure you into making an impulse decision

Reactions: Jezzibell
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think that it's best to take no notice of people who say things like that. They are just completely ignorant to the fact that suicide is something which actually is very difficult in this world, as suicide methods can involve risks and complications, and anyway humans have to overcome the instinct to survive. There isn't a straightforward way to leave in this anti suicide society, and it sounds horrible to me a suicide attempt failing.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy and Gaming Chicken
A

AerialBoundaries

The Songs of Distant Earth.
Sep 18, 2022
They always say that, then are left to lament for the rest of their lives, after a loved one kills themself.

If suicide were easy, the numbers would be insanely high. It's already an underreported cause of death. I wonder how often 'death by misadventure' or 'accidental overdose' were actually suicides?

Reactions: closemyeyes and Gaming Chicken
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Your father's words are so insensitive. I don't think non-suicidal people realize how strong that survival instinct is, how deeply ingrained it is to cling to life no matter how hard someone desires an exit. Our wishes often betray our biology.

Not to mention, suicide is de-facto illegal everywhere, and methods are tightly controlled, so even those who are extremely determined and unafraid will often fail due to the sheer difficulty of going through with the act, no matter how strong their resolve is.

I hate when people accuse someone of not seriously being suicidal, merely because they haven't done it already. It is extremely invalidating of one's pain, and also puts pressure on someone to 'prove' themselves which is frankly disgusting and achieves the opposite of what the other person is trying to impart. They just push suicidal people into feeling more pressured, as if there's a time-limit, and that feelings are only genuine if they are temporary, and that after a certain point, there's a supposition that the suicidal person's pain is fake.

It's ignorance, plain and simple. I am so sorry that you aren't getting compassion, understanding and care from your father. Statements like his only serve to deal more damage rather than comfort someone in their time of need.

Reactions: ShanaRei, tiny_dancer and Gaming Chicken