Spectre

Spectre

I am serious about not taking things seriously
Nov 27, 2023
I was just discussing my depression with someone when they brought out how I don't deserve to be depressed. They literally said "shame on you for complaining" because I come from a two parent home, and live in relevant comfort, in a first world country. I still hate who I am as a person. All these other material aspects aren't important because they are out of my control and I didn't play any part in them. I don't fucking care if there are orphans starving on the other side of the world. None of that changes who I am as a person and how much I hate myself. I think I'm probably going to cut off that "friend" after that statement. So infuriating.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: niki wonoto, ummagumma, beelzebul and 15 others
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
Nah fuck that. Been told the same shit before, they were right too that there were depressed people who had it worse than I did, but that argument doesn't account for hidden/genetic factors.

Also what's the deal with this pity picture people paint of other countries and people with only one parent? I don't think they recognize the elitism and often racism behind it all, it all comes down to "my way is the good way, all who are like me are happy and all who aren't are suffering" which is really patriotic propaganda when you look at it.

You know what? Maybe that person is right. At least you aren't someone who has to delude themselves with falsehoods and misguided stereotypes in order to find happiness in life.

• Love
Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber, prettycvnt, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I dislike at how many people say that "you shouldn't be depressed as people suffer worse than you". They treat it as if it's logical but it's actually a logical fallacy, specifically the fallacy of relative privation. I guess I'm privileged too relative to other people in the world and sure I don't suffer as much as other people but my suffering is still suffering

• Love
Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber, AInilam, Spectre and 4 others
Leavesfromthevine

Leavesfromthevine

Untreated Trauma
Nov 23, 2023
I've been told this before as well as have heard it being told to others who are open about being depressed or suicidal. We don't have to justify why we are like this. There's a multitude of reasons and just because it seems like we might have a good life isn't always the case. The dark hides a lot. Mental health is still health regardless but I guess most people don't care until they suffer problems.

• Love
Reactions: Mayonaise, Peerless_Cucumber, AInilam and 5 others
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
= almst as tho mentl illnss = affctd b/ mre thn jst Nvirnmentl or stuatnl factrs

• Love
Reactions: Anxi0usandDepressed, BrainShower, AInilam and 7 others
Sylveon

Sylveon

...Anomaly
Oct 10, 2023
I dislike at how many people say that "you shouldn't be depressed as people suffer worse than you". They treat it as if it's logical but it's actually a logical fallacy, specifically the fallacy of relative privation. I guess I'm privileged too relative to other people in the world and sure I don't suffer as much as other people but my suffering is still suffering
By their stupid logic, we should never ever be happy either since there's inevitably always someone better off than us.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WordsAreHard, Peerless_Cucumber, Spectre and 4 others
Adûnâi

Adûnâi

Little Russian in-cel
Apr 25, 2020
I would consider myself somewhat privileged - no chronic pains, living alone, my mom cooks for me... All I have to do is pass the exams, and I won't get conscripted.

But the huge issue is that I'm an autistic incel, so I feel kind of alone, abandoned, aimless.

To be fair, I would consider many people privileged - females, Kurt Cobain, etc. But it doesn't make any of them unworthy of suicide. Humans react to the same stimuli differently - and we're all mortal anyway.

Reactions: BrainShower, Spectre, WhatPowerIs and 1 other person
E

EndingEagle

Nov 27, 2023
There will always be someone who has it "worse" than you their suffering doesnt erase yours nor does it invalidate it. Its insensitive and rude to say something like that when someone opens up to you, fuck people like that.

• Love
Reactions: Mayonaise, AInilam, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That person sounds very insensitive. No matter what wanting to die is always a valid way to feel, it isn't like any of us chose to be in this existence in the first place.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Spectre and Adûnâi
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
We are all privileged, yet someone is always more privileged than you! Fck 'em! 🖕

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: permanently tired, BlackMoon, Aim and 5 others
underscore_nine

underscore_nine

the sweet release
Feb 17, 2023
I was just discussing my depression with someone when they brought out how I don't deserve to be depressed. They literally said "shame on you for complaining" because I come from a two parent home, and live in relevant comfort, in a first world country. I still hate who I am as a person. All these other material aspects aren't important because they are out of my control and I didn't play any part in them. I don't fucking care if there are orphans starving on the other side of the world. None of that changes who I am as a person and how much I hate myself. I think I'm probably going to cut off that "friend" after that statement. So infuriating.
people who say that garbage don't understand, i was born into a very privileged family and I want to die more than anything, materialism is so surface level it's outright stupid to think it will cure us

• Love
Reactions: Aim, Praestat_Mori, Peerless_Cucumber and 3 others
IWishToDie

IWishToDie

I check notifications once per week
Dec 31, 2023
I've found that people in poorer countries typically (on average, it varies obviously) have less depression because they don't have the 'time' to be depressed. Some cultures don't even have a concept that represents depression. These people have fixed gender roles and traditional community structures, higher religiosity etc. It makes sense to feel depressed as you climb the hierarchy of needs because the rabbit is never supposed to catch the carrot on the end of the stick, it stops moving. Best of luck.

Reactions: jar-baby, foxgirl, Tears in Rain and 1 other person
P

Peerless_Cucumber

The one and only king of cucumbers
Feb 22, 2023
I've found that people in poorer countries typically (on average, it varies obviously) have less depression because they don't have the 'time' to be depressed. Some cultures don't even have a concept that represents depression. These people have fixed gender roles and traditional community structures, higher religiosity etc. It makes sense to feel depressed as you climb the hierarchy of needs because the rabbit is never supposed to catch the carrot on the end of the stick, it stops moving. Best of luck.
My mother is dismissing my depression saying I have "too much time" to think. Every time I tell her how I feel I get this thrown back at me. It's wrong too. I'm always stressed and have a lot of stuff to do. Yet I can't bring myself to do it because of depression and that leads to even more stress. I don't have much time at all. In fact I'd argue that I have way too little.

• Hugs
Reactions: Spectre and Praestat_Mori
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
People that don't understand suicidal thoughts will always say how you are privileged no matter where you are or no matter your situation. They will always tell you how lucky you are to be where you are and how much People would love to be in your position. They will tell you to look at the many who are in a much worse situation than you.
I live in a third world poor country, have no cush in my bank account, have been unemployed for the past 6 years, still live with my parents. Yet all am being told is how I shouldn't feel how I feel and how privileged I am and all that "look at the ones below you" and "many would kill to be in your place" nonsense.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Shiva_Story, Peerless_Cucumber and 3 others
Specific_Milk

Specific_Milk

Student
Aug 28, 2022
Personally I'm suicidal partly because of this stigma. My parents have worked hard for me to have the life I have right now and the burden of perpetuating this 'blessed' existence makes me really wanna fucking end it all. I never asked for any of this yet I'm expected to keep it.

Sorry your 'friend' is that ignorant

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Adûnâi, Tears in Rain and 5 others
Spectre

Spectre

Nov 27, 2023
People that don't understand suicidal thoughts will always say how you are privileged no matter where you are or no matter your situation. They will always tell you how lucky you are to be where you are and how much People would love to be in your position. They will tell you to look at the many who are in a much worse situation than you.
I live in a third world poor country, have no cush in my bank account, have been unemployed for the past 6 years, still live with my parents. Yet all am being told is how I shouldn't feel how I feel and how privileged I am and all that "look at the ones below you" and "many would kill to be in your place" nonsense.
This sounds like a psychological nightmare. Sorry you have to go through that, and thank you for sharing.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, rozeske and Adûnâi
BrainShower

BrainShower

Tiny storm
Nov 7, 2023
It is interesting that, as a person who grew up with nothing and who has continued to be poor into my 40's, it is hard to understand how someone could be suicidal without the insane pressure to survive. But I don't dismiss it, because I did have a period of relative comfort (I didn't have to worry how bills would be paid) and it did not magically fix my depression. I was not suicidal throughout that period however.

Nobody can pretend to understand another person's situation until they have walked in their shoes, that is my take on it.

But if I had money(I never will), I would not ever consider ctb. I wouldn't be pro life or even super happy, but I could exist and even be content at times.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Adûnâi
loslassen

loslassen

call me jvne
Dec 8, 2023
I
It's one of the reasons I can't open up to people because I have many things other envy, including in my person and self, I have so many things I'm grateful for of course but that doesn't mean I don't suffer what I do, which is a lot actually.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Adûnâi and Spectre
Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
I hope that karma will hit these people really hard ! All feelings are valid! The end!

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Dliena and Spectre
Spectre

Spectre

Nov 27, 2023
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: BrainShower, Praestat_Mori and Adûnâi
Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
I wish I could believe in Karma
What goes around comes around. And if you walk around acting like an ass! Then the odds of long-term success isn't usually very bright!

• Hugs
Reactions: BrainShower and Praestat_Mori
Dliena

Dliena

𝚂𝚂 𝙼𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝙽𝚘. 43,53?
Dec 22, 2023
Screw that so-called friend OP! They don't deserve you and you def don't deserve to be treated that way!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: BrainShower, Praestat_Mori, Adûnâi and 1 other person
beelzebul

beelzebul

(;´д`)ゞ
Oct 10, 2023
People who act like depression/suicide is a contest are not people you ever want to be friends with.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: BrainShower, Praestat_Mori and Adûnâi