M

Mierda

May 12, 2021
I plan to delete all of my data and most of my accounts; however, I'm not sure if it's the right idea as I might fail in ctbing.

I think I should backup my data somehow but I'm not sure how to go about doing that without having my family/police find it if I succeed.

Reactions: LastFlowers and lobster salad
BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit

Staring at the edge
Apr 28, 2021
I've been thinking about the exact same issue for awhile now.
I think I will delete most of the accounts that I don't need anyway. And those that might be important after a failed attempt I will simply give a ridiculously long and complicated password. Then I store all login information in a password manager which saves the data in a cloud. This way there will be no traces on my pc.
Regarding normal data, I thought about buying an extra hard drive and encrypting it. I'm no security expert but I don't think police can decrypt that, depending on what encryption method is used.

Edit: now that I think about it, the password manager is completely redundant if I can just store the login information on the encrypted hard drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mierda
M

Mierda

May 12, 2021
I've been thinking about the exact same issue for awhile now.
I think I will delete most of the accounts that I don't need anyway. And those that might be important after a failed attempt I will simply give a ridiculously long and complicated password. Then I store all login information in a password manager which saves the data in a cloud. This way there will be no traces on my pc.
Regarding normal data, I thought about buying an extra hard drive and encrypting it. I'm no security expert but I don't think police can decrypt that, depending on what encryption method is used.

Edit: now that I think about it, the password manager is completely redundant if I can just store the login information on the encrypted hard drive.
This is a great idea. I have a few google accounts with a lot of information on them as I use the drives to back up most of my data. However, I know that google accounts can easily be recovered so I'm not sure how to go about storing my data on the cloud. I don't think I can buy a hard drive as I live with my parents and they wouldn't let me do that. Thanks!

Reactions: BottomlessPit
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I'm not currently in the same place mentally, but not long ago I was very actively making plans and preparations. I had the same concern, because I really could not stand the idea of failing and losing everything.

My solution was just to backup everything to a cloud-based service. I found a good one that luckily had a special running that was under $10 for a year and offered enough room to back up everything I wanted to. No one else knew that I had the account with them, so there was no way that anyone would be able to access my stuff or even think to look for it. I used a completely anonymous email address and everything for it so there was nothing to tie it back to me.

I figured if I succeed, everything would be deleted when I didn't renew my subscription the next year. And if I failed, I could just go get my stuff again if I wanted.

Reactions: LastFlowers and Mierda
M

Mierda

May 12, 2021
I'm not currently in the same place mentally, but not long ago I was very actively making plans and preparations. I had the same concern, because I really could not stand the idea of failing and losing everything.

My solution was just to backup everything to a cloud-based service. I found a good one that luckily had a special running that was under $10 for a year and offered enough room to back up everything I wanted to. No one else knew that I had the account with them, so there was no way that anyone would be able to access my stuff or even think to look for it. I used a completely anonymous email address and everything for it so there was nothing to tie it back to me.

I figured if I succeed, everything would be deleted when I didn't renew my subscription the next year. And if I failed, I could just go get my stuff again if I wanted.
Thanks for the reply. Would you mind telling me which cloud based service and anonymous mail you used?

Reactions: LastFlowers
All Things Must Pass

All Things Must Pass

Mage
Apr 14, 2021
By using passwords. They exist for this reason.

It isn't. Password managers have more features than just storing text, unlike a txt file.

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind telling me which cloud based service and anonymous mail you used?
I am interested as well. Seems too good to be true.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
The email was not anonymous in that there was anything special about it, it's just I made a random email address that absolutely nobody knows exists and is not tied to my personal information in any way. I don't even remember what service I used to be honest, but nobody's going to find it if they aren't looking for it.

But the storage service I used was iDrive. I found no problems with them, and I paid for it on a throwaway card.

So it's not super fancy encrypted or anything, but the point is it's not going to occur to anyone that I did these things, which means nobody would ever think to look for it. So I feel the stuff is safe from prying eyes, and the most important thing is that it's retrievable if I want it or it deletes itself later.

Hope that helps!