CHOSEVIOLENCE

CHOSEVIOLENCE

♱ 4 out of the 5 voices in my head say go for it.
Jul 24, 2024
So, I plan to attempt the CO again soon after my birthday (I will write a post when the day comes). I have a tent, charcoal, a grease bucket, a chimney starter, and a barbeque lighter, the last thing I need to do is find a suitable location to do this and also figure out how to properly put my tent away. On that note, I read the CO megathread, but I still have a few questions I want to ask just to make sure I've gotten everything right.

1. What's the best way for me to make sure the tent doesn't melt? I've read about having a bowl of water, but I'm not sure how that would help or what benefit it would provide. I'm pretty sure a glass bowl would crack from the heat and a plastic one would melt.

2. Should I use firestarter cubes, news paper, or mini log wood in the chimney starter or will it not be necessary? I already have newspaper and firestarter cubes. I could easily walk to the hardware store to get mini log wood.

3. I've read that a sedative helps. I don't drink alcohol for faith reasons, but I'm willing to do it this once if it'll make my attempt easier, so what if any type of alcohol is best for these things?

4. What should the coals look like before I dump them in the bucket? I have a rough idea, but I'd like to be absolutely sure so I don't screw anything up again.

Thank you in advance for reading/answering any of my questions.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Personally, I think you can use anything you want to get the charcoal started. Your going to wait, anyway, until the coals are all glowing red hot, emitting no smoke, before you even place them in a tent, so when that occurs all of the impurities, including whatever you used to light them, will be burned off.

What's a "grease bucket"? Is that like a metal bucket you put the hot coals in? I wouldn't think there's too much risk of setting the tent material on fire. I'd certainly place the bucket on the floor below the highest part of the tent. And to be absolutely certain, I'd consider doing a "test run" or two just to make sure.

Can't really comment any about sedatives. And I don't drink, either, but not for religious reasons. I don't see anything wrong with taking something, though, to reduce anxiety, as long as whatever you take doesn't affect you so much as to hamper your ability to carry out all the tasks necessary to achieve a successful outcome.

How do you know how much charcoal to use? If you don't get the CO level high enough, you're more likely to suffer the effects from it like headache, nausea, vomiting, etc. And if you don't get it high enough there's a good chance of not dying, but only end up neurologically injured, possibly vegetative, but still alive. Honestly, the only way to know what the CO level is in the tent is by using a CO analyzer, but I understand that not everyone will be able to obtain one. Ideally, you'd want the CO level to be at 10000 PPM, or more. That is, from all known data, the level that will render someone unconscious quickly, thereby avoiding all of the "uncomfortableness" of the poisoning itself. If it's not done right, the results can be bad for you - think nursing home being spoon fed and having your ass wiped.

Don't be afraid to ask more questions.

• Love
Reactions: CHOSEVIOLENCE and LittleBlackCat
Upvote 0
MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

sleep deprived and/or drunk
Jul 23, 2023
the title says that you will try 'again'. maybe you can tell us what went wrong the first time? your concern #2 is irrelevant. sedatives/alcohol? that'd be up to you. i wouldn't take too much because you will be handling hot coals. no idea what part of the world you are in but it's bleeping hot here. take that into consideration.

melting tent? well as long as the flames are out it should be ok. #4 has been answered above.

honestly, it doesn't seem like you've done all that much research. i'd find out as much as you can before you try again.

Upvote 0
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
Personally, I think you can use anything you want to get the charcoal started. Your going to wait, anyway, until the coals are all glowing red hot, emitting no smoke, before you even place them in a tent, so when that occurs all of the impurities, including whatever you used to light them, will be burned off.

What's a "grease bucket"? Is that like a metal bucket you put the hot coals in? I wouldn't think there's too much risk of setting the tent material on fire. I'd certainly place the bucket on the floor below the highest part of the tent. And to be absolutely certain, I'd consider doing a "test run" or two just to make sure.

Can't really comment any about sedatives. And I don't drink, either, but not for religious reasons. I don't see anything wrong with taking something, though, to reduce anxiety, as long as whatever you take doesn't affect you so much as to hamper your ability to carry out all the tasks necessary to achieve a successful outcome.

How do you know how much charcoal to use? If you don't get the CO level high enough, you're more likely to suffer the effects from it like headache, nausea, vomiting, etc. And if you don't get it high enough there's a good chance of not dying, but only end up neurologically injured, possibly vegetative, but still alive. Honestly, the only way to know what the CO level is in the tent is by using a CO analyzer, but I understand that not everyone will be able to obtain one. Ideally, you'd want the CO level to be at 10000 PPM, or more. That is, from all known data, the level that will render someone unconscious quickly, thereby avoiding all of the "uncomfortableness" of the poisoning itself. If it's not done right, the results can be bad for you - think nursing home being spoon fed and having your ass wiped.

Once the coals are glowing red hot , emitting no smoke , until what time does it keep producing CO ? Or it goes into a constant state of CO generation ?

Upvote 0
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Once the coals are glowing red hot , emitting no smoke , until what time does it keep producing CO ? Or it goes into a constant state of CO generation ?
If the coals are emitting intense amounts of heat, they are also emitting copious amounts of CO. Remember CO is colorless and odorless. If the amount of charcoal you use is enough to get the amount in the tent way up to a 10000 PPM level, or more, I don't know. This is one of those methods that can go very, very well, OR can go very, VERY bad if not done right. There's a MINIMUM amount of charcoal that should be used which is .135 kg/m³, which can easily be converted to lbs and ft³.

Upvote 0
CHOSEVIOLENCE

CHOSEVIOLENCE

Jul 24, 2024
the title says that you will try 'again'. maybe you can tell us what went wrong the first time? your concern #2 is irrelevant. sedatives/alcohol? that'd be up to you. i wouldn't take too much because you will be handling hot coals. no idea what part of the world you are in but it's bleeping hot here. take that into consideration.

melting tent? well as long as the flames are out it should be ok. #4 has been answered above.

honestly, it doesn't seem like you've done all that much research. i'd find out as much as you can before you try again.
I have done research, thanks. I was just double checking. The thing that went wrong the first time was time constraint.

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
Upvote 0
CHOSEVIOLENCE

CHOSEVIOLENCE

Jul 24, 2024

Hey, thanks for responding to my post. A grease bucket is as exactly as you described, I guess the term is a Canadian thing. I got the amount of charcoal I showed you from bbq1s post, the Zanexx thread and this: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/charcoal-co-in-tent-method-advice.4936/. I've heard of the meter, but I am in debt and at risk of debt collector's taking my stuff (my reason for CTB, really) so I can't afford to spend the $1000 on one, sadly. As for the effects, I didn't experience a headache or vomiting. I only felt nauseous when I got out of the tent, but I have AE's and Ibuprofen for this just in case. Also, my vision has been severely reduced to near-sightedness after my failed attempt so I know there's consequences to this sort of thing, haha.

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
Upvote 0
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
$300 US for the CO analyzer. Debt collectors can't take your stuff if they can't find your stuff. Isn't some type of bankruptcy an option?

Upvote 0
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
If the coals are emitting intense amounts of heat, they are also emitting copious amounts of CO. Remember CO is colorless and odorless. If the amount of charcoal you use is enough to get the amount in the tent way up to a 10000 PPM level, or more, I don't know. This is one of those methods that can go very, very well, OR can go very, VERY bad if not done right. There's a MINIMUM amount of charcoal that should be used which is .135 kg/m³, which can easily be converted to lbs and ft³.
What's the need of transferring the burnt charcoal to another bucket ? Can they not remain in the chimney starter.

Upvote 0
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
What's the need of transferring the burnt charcoal to another bucket ? Can they not remain in the chimney starter.
Good question. I always wondered that myself. The only thing I can think of is, maybe, it has something to do with all of the holes in the chimney starter and the risk that a glowing hot chunk of charcoal *could* break off, possibly falling out one of the holes and starting a fire. Other than that, I don't really know.

Upvote 0