W

Winter_Flower

Always thirsty for summer rain x
May 18, 2019
So my attempt to ctb came rather earlier than thought and Tuesday last week I took an overdose of my mental health meds. Unfortunately or fortunately, whatever way you want to look at it my sister in law came to visit and saw my empty pill packets and immediately called an ambulance. They arrived, asked me to walk into the ambulance and my journey started from there.

I got to hospital and was booked in and the clerk told the paramedics to 'park' me in waiting room 15. Now you'd think this would be a bay/bed. But no, it was literally a waiting room. After the clerk shared a couple of whispers with a nurse, hearing my name mentioned I sat for at least four hours on what I can only describe as a bus stop set of benches. My body had started to shake and my speech had started to slurr. After a couple of hours I asked when would I be seen or at least let go and was told 'it'll be another couple of hours at least'. Ok I thought, I'll take it, it's self inflicted etc etc. By hour four I had only had my blood pressure taken, still in the waiting area. I asked again as by this time my speech was nearly non existent, I couldn't string a sentence together. My arms had gone ridged, my leg muscles had gone, I couldn't walk unaided, I was sweating buckets and had started to see what I can only describe as 'clouds' in my vision coming towards me, basically hallucinating. One nurse noticed after another patient pointed me out. She sat with me and told me 'I have told numerous doctors and if I'm honest I don't know why they aren't seeing you, I'm not moving until someone see's you'. After another blood pressure check she disappeared after ten minutes. My breathing started to deteriorate about 30 minutes later and another nurse noted this and asked, 'what were the results of your blood tests'. I hadn't had any!! She went away and suddenly there was a gathering of health staff in a room and around 30 minutes later I was finally taken into a room. It took around 30 minutes to cannulate and take bloods as my veins were non existent as I was shutting down and very dehydrated. I got wheeled into another area in what I can only describe as a waiting room but on beds. No cubicles, just beds lined up four deep, five wide. It was humiliating. I was put on a couple of drips, one to counteract the meds. After around four hours laying there and only a chat from a doctor twice, I was told 'you're being discharged but must see a mental health nurse first'. I could barely walk, talk etc and soon as I got off the bed it was taken away and there was no chance of me getting that bed back. Had a chat to the mental health nurse and then I was left to leave. I struggled to walk out of a and e. It was midnight, no one to take me home which was 25 miles away.

I struggled to work my phone. Public transport stops around 9pm around my area so I was stuck. Luckily I got in contact with my ex and he kindly picked me up. I blacked out on the way home and vomited numerous times. I was told to make an urgent appointment with my gp for the next day. This was nine days ago and I still haven't managed to get an appointment. I've asked about starting the med again/when etc. Still no answer. It caused serotonin Syndrome so the mental health nurse told me to stop it but didn't know how long for. I'm now withdrawing from my med as know one is getting back to me. And to top it off, even though I went in with an overdose I was questioned about past scars. 'What have you done today' me 'overdosed' them 'but what about the cuts on your thigh' me 'they are over three years old' them 'your arm?' Again, they are old scars. Constant questions about previous injuries was humiliating.

I'm really sorry for this long ass post but the humiliation I received was horrible. Not being responded to by my gp or crisis team after is horrible and this I knew to expect from members of my family but it still upsets, my brothers haven't even contacted me but know it happened. Yes, I'm aware most people think it's a selfish act but a 'I'm really pissed, but hope you're ok?' Would have been great. It just makes me realise even more that I have no place in this world, no purpose, no meaning and the stigma attached to mental health still exists within the UK nhs. Don't get me wrong, it's pushed to the brink of collapse at the moment (today 25 ambulances queued around the car park waiting to book patients in all day). One a and e has been closed for some stupid government savings even though it served well over 200,000 patients. And my county is left with two a and e departments pushed over the limit. But the stigma experienced was horrible and humiliating. And still something I'm coming to terms with and haven't been able to explain everything that happened as I'm still working it out and in shock of what happened. I just wish I was never found. I've experienced stigma and humiliation before but this was on another level x

Again, sorry for the long post but I haven't had an out let to vent to and it's getting me down again x If you have read to the end, I thank you so much xx

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Moonicide, Fml, Lotus1818 and 7 others
L

lymestolemylife

Student
Nov 27, 2019
Its so nice how much people care isn't it. Fucking ridiculous. The healthcare system is a joke. So sorry you had to deal with this callousness. I have Lyme and get treated this way all the time.

Reactions: howard
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
As I came out of my coma after a OD, the first words I heard were, and I kid you not, "You selfish bastard" and that was the ward psych!! So yeah, I know where you are coming from. Suicides are still treated badly within the NHS as we are seen as "time wasters" for having the audacity to try to take our own lives.

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: howard, zherhk and Boonks
H

hopelessandbroken

May 25, 2019
thats fucked up im so sorry you had to go through that. do u live in the states?
are you feeling any better?

W

Winter_Flower

Always thirsty for summer rain x
May 18, 2019
As I came out of my coma after a OD, the first words I heard were, and I kid you not, "You selfish bastard" and that was the ward psych!! So yeah, I know where you are coming from. Suicides are still treated badly within the NHS as we are seen as "time wasters" for having the audacity to try to take our own lives.
Had a very similar experience a couple of years ago. And an operation to remove something I had inserted in my leg. Had been there a while but when I confessed about it I was told it needed to come out. I woke up in recovery in so much pain and the theatre nurse monitoring me whilst I woke up slapped my leg and said 'it's out!', I replied with an 'ouch, leave me alone!' and she replied 'don't worry, I fucking will'. Went back to my room and one nurse visited me within an hour of me being back. I was in so much pain most of the night. I asked for some help before the night shift started and was told you've had a large amount already. When the consultant came round the next morning and I told her I was in so much pain, she asked me why I didn't ask for some more morphine as that had been prescribed to help with my pain through the night!! I swear they do it to try and teach you a lesson.
thats fucked up im so sorry you had to go through that. do u live in the states?
are you feeling any better?
I live in the UK, where there has been a huge push on mental health over the last two years. You know 'reach out for help' and 'let's end the stigma'. But it has done nothing. The NHS, as much as I love it so much, especially as I've worked in it for most of my life and want to continue working in it eventually, has a very long way to go in dealing with the mental health stigma and that includes protecting its employees health too. Some of its the governments fault for cutting so many resources but attitudes of individuals need to change too xx I hate slating the nhs because we are very lucky to have it and we, as a country and professionals fight very hard to keep it x

Last edited: