Professor_Oz

Professor_Oz

May we all become like Diogenes
Aug 30, 2023
In a similar situation right now.

Therapy has revealed to me that my family's love for me is objectively conditional, and that they will not hesitate to cut me off completely if I inform them of my atheism. It's truly one of the biggest things holding me back from fully recovering. I love my family, but of course I'm also mad at them for being so ready to shun me.

Those who used to be in a similar situation, how did you and your family handle it?

• Hugs
Reactions: chloramine, dead_milky, FormerlyFe(IV) and 2 others
ChronicallyCynical

ChronicallyCynical

Natural pessimist, born quitter.
Sep 9, 2023
If coming out means getting shunned, shun them back and find someone who is less conditional with their affections.

Maybe that's just my view on things, though.

D

dead_milky

Sep 9, 2023
to me it was easy. Maybe because my family is not really big on religion. They technically believe in God and such, but they don't practice it openly and don't seem to care that much. I came out as an atheist to test the waters when I was younger (like, 13?) And then when I had my stuff figured out I did inform them about my practices related to paganism. I think they just acknowledged it and let it go.

It's hard to give actual advice in your situation. It depends on how far they're willing to go. If you think telling them could put you in danger, them I wouldn't tell them now.

on the other hand, if they'd get mad at you and try to convince you - try to discuss it, show them your worldview. Maybe they'll understand.

chris1979

chris1979

Multiverse is real
Aug 14, 2023
I opened up to my family. They are very religious and I'm not. They still to this day don't accept me. I'm hoping one day they will change their minds. I never give up hope.

Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
Some didn't care, some said I was selfish, some said that it would be inappropriate to marry without a priest present. Nobody care now since pretty much every kids in my generation ended up atheist. I suppose it depends how religious your family is and how religious your country is. Some people end up jailed for being atheist