• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Felodese

Felodese

Mar 31, 2024
You could argue that you have "your whole life ahead of you" and all that in your early 20s.

But what about if you're in your 40s or 50s, and still havn't gotten anywhere with mental health, work/education, social/love life, or really anything?

Considering the amout of time and effort it would take to fix any of these things, to the point where life is acctually meaningful, when is it too late?
What do you guys think?

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it largely hangs on hope and motivation. Really at any age, if you lose those things, you're going to struggle more.

As to whether it's ever too late? Not if you have enough hope and motivation! People do all sorts- go back to uni, marry, change careers. You need the motivation to try though. Plus, it may well be harder, so it likely needs determination to stick at it. I suppose it depends more on whether we are willing to let things hold us back and give up.

I've definitely let challenges in life hold me back. Not sure I've let age stop me. I did a second degree in my late twenties, early thirties. I was 10 years older than most of my classmates. I've changed course in life a few times in my 30's and 40's.

As to whether it's worth it because we'll be old by the time we might finally start seeing positive results, I'd say- sure it's worth it. We live in the moment. By the time that moment comes, you could well be grateful you made the effort. But of course, you could just as easily convince yourself that it isn't achievable or, the results won't feel worth it. The reality of it is- you won't know till you try.

surroundedbydemons

surroundedbydemons

Experienced
Mar 6, 2024
It depends on the situation.

There might be issues that are unsolvable in your early twenties, while others remain fixable even if you are 50.

Why would your biological age matter? It is just a number.

~~~
Just as Forever Sleep noted,
I think it largely hangs on hope and motivation. Really at any age, if you lose those things, you're going to struggle more.

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
It depends on what you're going through. In my case, my situation is unfixable because I don't exactly want to "fix" it and also because I have autism which is permanent and unfixable. However, your situation may be different to mine

U

unabletocope

I'd like to shut down
Mar 13, 2024
The point where things are too entrenched against you. Never leave life too late if you can, always look for people who are prepared to support you

Reactions: sserafim
Archness

Archness

Defective Personel
Jan 20, 2023
Not likely a single specific number. More like the times you transition (or fail to) through life stages, general age groups, etc. When you realize "It's Hopeless".

For the majority of people, it's when they're supposed to start their adult life (like me) or are settling in and realizing how shit things really are (30 yo).

A few is somewhere in adolescence, or when they're starting to feel their age.

A

achb

Student
Oct 23, 2023
I guess it depends on what qualifies as "meaningful." Some people would say it's useless to try and find love at 50 because you have so little life left.
It's definitely possible to turn your life around at any point in life for most people. But some people might think getting there is more work than it's worth. Especially if they might fail.

Reactions: Forveleth
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I can only answer from my perspective and tell you I'm in my later 50's, and I don't see any point in going on any longer, even if I could fix things. It's just not worth it, anymore, to me at this stage.

grungy自殺

grungy自殺

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Jan 9, 2024
To some degree, It's subjective.

And course it's different for you on your perspective on it and i respect that

But as for Me personally, it's 20

Because by then you should adjust your maturity to accommodate adult hood

But because my head works different than others (due to me having Asperger's/autism)
and because i've missed out on life experiences and noone had bothered to reassure me

It becomes very discouraging to change if you didn't gotten the help you needed and it becomes hard to downright impossible as you get older and older
(and at times you would wish you were young again to do the things that you missed out on and fix your problems)

And it feels pretty shameful for me to act like a high school teen and be in the body of a 20 something year old

And It's become a very Depressing neverending nightmare to know that i'm still here breathing and not dead yet

kunikuzushi

kunikuzushi

sause
Jan 24, 2023
the way I see it is even if you fix your life at 20, you're still gonna lose it in the end. so what's the difference if you fix it at 50? you had less time to enjoy it, but in the end both lives are pointless.

S

setmefreenow

Apr 7, 2024
Here is my perspective as someone who is in my late 40s with bipolar disorder. I fixed things successfully many times throughout by adult life. By things, I am referring to mental illness and finances.

Unfortunately, I had the worst relapse by far recently. At this point, it happened too many times and I am just too exhausted to fix anything. Looking back, I don't regret trying to fix things though cause I did have many good years.

O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
Depends on your situation. But definitely after 30s its too late.

Don't believe the people trying to brainwash you with the "it's never too late" propaganda bullshit.

Those are either your friends who are never gonna be mean to you, or some con-artist life coach who wants you for your money.

Realistically, you need to be honest with yourself.

How will you feel if you are in your 30s and trying to "fix your career"? You gonna be happy going back to school knowing that you have to somehow come up with money to pay for rent and school? You gonna be happy knowing everyone is younger than you? You gonna be happy spending 4 years to get a degree then have to get a low paying entry level job again? What if that degree doesn't work out? You okay with money wasted?

You gonna try to fix your "relationship issues?" in your 30s? If you haven't successfully dated at this point, its because of some trauma you've experience that will stick with you for the rest of your life. It's not because "some relationships weren't meant to be". You gonna be happy knowing everyone is married and in a secure relationship while you are still dating? You're gonna spend time going from person to person only to realize once again that your trauma is the reason you can't be in a relationship. You are not only wasting your time, but other's time.

Then, there is the loneliness aspect. Who are you going to share these experiences with? As the old saying goes, "it means nothing if you have no one to share it with". Well? Who do you have to share it with? You don't have a family and wife. Your friends have moved on in their careers and (most) are probably not going back to school.

Even if by some miracle you do become "successful" and "fix" things. How late will that be? It takes truly a good decade to make any significant changes to the point that you have "fixed" things. So by the time you fix things in your 40s, you may be already too late to start a family. By the time you gained enough money, you may not have enough time or your health may have deterorated to the point that you can't enjoy anything that money has to offer.

It's pessimistic, but be real with yourself.

Throwawayacc3

Throwawayacc3

Freedom
Mar 4, 2024
Age doesn't matter. If you are 15 or 60 you can't control things like cancer, your genetics, autism, etc - stuff like cancer will just throw you off and age doesn't make a difference.

Age isn't the biggest factor. Money and resources are the predominant factor. If you have it you can use it to get stuff/services you need - e.g medical treatment to check something.

tbroken

tbroken

Wizard
Feb 22, 2024
Depends on your situation. But definitely after 30s its too late.

Don't believe the people trying to brainwash you with the "it's never too late" propaganda bullshit.

Those are either your friends who are never gonna be mean to you, or some con-artist life coach who wants you for your money.

Realistically, you need to be honest with yourself.

How will you feel if you are in your 30s and trying to "fix your career"? You gonna be happy going back to school knowing that you have to somehow come up with money to pay for rent and school? You gonna be happy knowing everyone is younger than you? You gonna be happy spending 4 years to get a degree then have to get a low paying entry level job again? What if that degree doesn't work out? You okay with money wasted?

You gonna try to fix your "relationship issues?" in your 30s? If you haven't successfully dated at this point, its because of some trauma you've experience that will stick with you for the rest of your life. It's not because "some relationships weren't meant to be". You gonna be happy knowing everyone is married and in a secure relationship while you are still dating? You're gonna spend time going from person to person only to realize once again that your trauma is the reason you can't be in a relationship. You are not only wasting your time, but other's time.

Then, there is the loneliness aspect. Who are you going to share these experiences with? As the old saying goes, "it means nothing if you have no one to share it with". Well? Who do you have to share it with? You don't have a family and wife. Your friends have moved on in their careers and (most) are probably not going back to school.

Even if by some miracle you do become "successful" and "fix" things. How late will that be? It takes truly a good decade to make any significant changes to the point that you have "fixed" things. So by the time you fix things in your 40s, you may be already too late to start a family. By the time you gained enough money, you may not have enough time or your health may have deterorated to the point that you can't enjoy anything that money has to offer.

It's pessimistic, but be real with yourself.
I completely agree because i have the same feelings.
But there is a but. There are still people outside who made mistakes even if not traumatized and developed trauma later:

- Ppl who were forced in a career because they did not have any idea/skill or for money reason or because they were forced by ignorant parents

- Ppl who were forced by environmental or family factors to get in a relationship at young age and chose the wrongest partner ever

- Other traumatized ppl, this does not mean they are losers or unappealing ppl, they are just unlucky

Of course if you want to have a great career as a soccer player or top model it is too late. And it maybe too late also in serious engineering or cooking or other stuff, but apart from some rare ppl, EVERYONE got some trauma before their 30s or made really huge mistakes...

Of course it depends on wich kind of trauma and If you have resources and also to the 'spawn point'.

And of course you are right saying that 'conventionally' there is a time for everything and If you miss chances, you will walk alone most of the times. But in my case i could not stand ppl in my depressive period, i knew they were having influence on me Both positive or negative, but I didn't want to be influenced, I'd rather die.

But trust me, there are a lot of depressed walking-dead ppl even if they have big smiles and shiny cars. I was one of them for a certain period. That was not my main source of trauma however.

Also, as a guy with CTPSD, you are right in the relationships aspect, it is difficult to stand someone who I think does not understand me, and that's my problem not their...but in many cases this shield I have saved me.

Last edited:
etherealgoddess

etherealgoddess

perseverance is inevitable success
Dec 8, 2022
You could argue that you have "your whole life ahead of you" and all that in your early 20s.

But what about if you're in your 40s or 50s, and still havn't gotten anywhere with mental health, work/education, social/love life, or really anything?

Considering the amout of time and effort it would take to fix any of these things, to the point where life is acctually meaningful, when is it too late?
What do you guys think?
I think it is never too late. Period. So many people have gotten their success late into their lives. Many parents have children, get married, or achieve success in their career later than usual. Our journeys are unique. There is no doubt that anyone can fix their lives.

N

nomore1219

Jan 15, 2024
Here is my perspective as someone who is in my late 40s with bipolar disorder. I fixed things successfully many times throughout by adult life. By things, I am referring to mental illness and finances.

Unfortunately, I had the worst relapse by far recently. At this point, it happened too many times and I am just too exhausted to fix anything. Looking back, I don't regret trying to fix things though cause I did have many good years.
I am also bipolar and recovering from a terrible episode. I'm 32 and this is the second time a manic episode has destroyed my life (I've had many others where nothing too bad happened) and I'm just too tired to rebuild it again.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
To some degree, It's subjective.

And course it's different for you on your perspective on it and i respect that

But as for Me personally, it's 20

Because by then you should adjust your maturity to accommodate adult hood

But because my head works different than others (due to me having Asperger's/autism)
and because i've missed out on life experiences and noone had bothered to reassure me

It becomes very discouraging to change if you didn't gotten the help you needed and it becomes hard to downright impossible as you get older and older
(and at times you would wish you were young again to do the things that you missed out on and fix your problems)

And it feels pretty shameful for me to act like a high school teen and be in the body of a 20 something year old

And It's become a very Depressing neverending nightmare to know that i'm still here breathing and not dead yet
Same, but for me, it's 23, maximum 25. I'll fix things for myself by ctb because I was never meant for this world anyways. I have Asperger's/autism as well, on top of ADHD and social anxiety. I also just don't want to have to enter the real world. I don't want to have to live out adulthood. I will ctb to escape life itself and having to become a real adult. The only way to fix my life is to end it, because I never even wanted to exist in the first place

Last edited:
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and tell 20yo old me to not even remotely dare to see my 40s. That is the age where existential dread starts multiplying exponentially.

MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
I think it is never too late. Period. So many people have gotten their success late into their lives. Many parents have children, get married, or achieve success in their career later than usual. Our journeys are unique. There is no doubt that anyone can fix their lives.
Such a small percentage of people ever wind up having an opportunity to live a thoroughly enjoyable life. For most people, it's 60-70 years of stress and suffering, then you die. That's why I don't understand why so many people every year choose to participate in this extremely low-odds lottery game of having children. The consequences of not winning are not taken seriously enough.

davidtorez

davidtorez

Experienced
Mar 8, 2024
Such a small percentage of people ever wind up having an opportunity to live a thoroughly enjoyable life. For most people, it's 60-70 years of stress and suffering, then you die. That's why I don't understand why so many people every year choose to participate in this extremely low-odds lottery game of having children. The consequences of not winning are not taken seriously enough.
Exactly right , and especially when there is the option to adopt and save a life .

divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Enlightened
Jan 1, 2024
They have kids to fill the void in their life

E

escape_from_hell

Student
Feb 22, 2024
There are a lot of good answers, and overall I'd say it depends on your ability to summon forth the energy and motivation.
Hard work is not the key please don't try TOO hard, but pure luck is not reliable. Instead, and most unfortunately, you will need constant energy and persistence to put yourself in positions of readiness to leverage fortuitous opportunities. It is still luck, but neither luck nor hard work+persistence alone are enough, you need to be constantly chasing while paying close attention and it is draining as fuck. To take advantage of luck requires you to be on it like flies on shit. And that's just to ready enough for opportunity, then you have to put in more effort and tolerate a lot of bullshit for opportunities to even have a chance at paying off.
With those two things though (energy and motivation) you are relatively golden. It is burnout more than age that will stop you.

I'm 40s and had some okay times but overall it wasn't worth all the chasing. I'd say 40s without the burnout wouldn't be too bad, but there's only so much battery life available for constant rebuilding. Having love & friends would be a huge boost.

Especially considering anything you achieve can still be wiped out in a short period.
That happened to me a couple years into the covid stuff. Now my joy in life is reading SaSu and dreaming of having the energy and motivation just to (possibly, cuz we don't even know what happens after) find peace.

But if you feel like you haven't given it a good try yet, you could at least get a start at it even 40s and 50s. CTB will always be there, no rush. End result is the same no matter what.