T

theanonymousssly

Jun 26, 2023
i have BPD, and heard that canada is offering assisted suicide for those with bpd. i've tried really hard to research info on this because i might consider going to canada just for this. are there any conditions you folks know about? thanks!

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I don't know for sure but it was my understanding that you needed to be a canadian citizen to access this, I don't think you can travel to Canada and be eligible.

Reactions: theanonymousssly
Upvote 0
lsssrrr

lsssrrr

Jul 10, 2023
Hopefully MAID becomes more accessible. I'd literally become a Canadian resident just for that.

Reactions: Gena, theanonymousssly, myusername890 and 1 other person
Upvote 0
T

Torontopup

Aug 15, 2023
Presently, MAID (assisted suicide) is only available to Canadians with terminal or chronic physical health conditions. The provision to extend eligibility criteria to those with mental illness was delayed until March 2024.

If I can last until then, I plan on being one of the first to apply... But I imagine that lobbyists may try to encourage the government to delay MAID availability even further...

Reactions: lachrymost
Upvote 0
S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
The thing about MAID in Canada is that they don't have a spefic requirement posted anywhere aside from "serious mental disorder" I think you would probably have to wait until further criteria is posted. I also suspect that they might lock people signing up for MAID into psych wards so please be cautious when signing up.

Upvote 0
T

Tulip<3

Student
Aug 16, 2023
I really really hope the UK follows Canada and does this too. It would give me so much comfort to think that if my pain ever gets too much, I can choose this way out and it doesn't have to be secret like with suicide. At least my loved ones would be prepared and have time to process it.

Upvote 0
CheekyPhobia

CheekyPhobia

Reasonless, well it stands to reason...
Aug 1, 2022
Hopefully MAID becomes more accessible. I'd literally become a Canadian resident just for that.
Yep, lol. There is no legitimate reason why MAID shouldnt be accessible in every western country. Make laws to prevent doctors prescribing it and a waiting period to prevent impulsive people, then let the rest of us at it.

Reactions: Yavannah
Upvote 0