• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
Yes. The you who you think you are is not you. The you who thinks you are not the you who thinks you are you, is not you either. Etc, etc.

You are a probably a fictional character, a figment of your own imagination. But that's how we're designed, how it's meant to be, projecting our self-image all day, every day.

Plato's cave, etc, etc.

druggedonsurvival

druggedonsurvival

Student
Feb 8, 2024
The self is a fabrication, constantly being destroyed and reborn with all of our life experiences, for the better or for the worse. It's very malleable, influenced by many things: how we perceive ourselves, how others perceive us, qualities of identity that are imposed upon us. It could be said that the ego is persistent, but never consistent.

U

Ulrich

Mar 6, 2024
Yes. I often look back at my childhood memories with far more detachment with each passing year. I can live through the memories, but I cannot truly understand them. It is as if I am trying to understand the actions of an entirely separate individual. Having said that, I don't believe in the ego, insofar as I don't believe in the individual, excluding very exceptional cases.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
"What we are never changes. Who we are never stops changing."

- Dr. Gil Grissom, CSI

I like the sayings the three "you's." The you that think you are, the you that you want to be and the you who you really are. The last one you can never truly know. But you can get best possible understanding from talking to people close to you.

Hume and his discussion of the self being interpreted as a single entity, but not necessarily so in actuality. (we may actually be -- and from scientific evidence, most likely are -- a conglomeration of multiple fractured subconscious perspectives artificially combined to be perceived by the over-conscious as a single one.*) Hume also points out that the outside world as being nothing certain except perceived stimuli; we perceive an outside world, but our only access is through these stimuli and reactions being perceived. We do not actually have any kind of direct access to an external world, merely a conduit through which information flows. The information could, in fact come from anywhere -- our own imaginations, a computer program, a deity, a shared dream, a reliving of memories -- with just as much likelihood as what we claim is true -- an actual outside world.

>> a conglomeration of multiple fractured subconscious perspectives
or the integral of a continuum of subconscious perspectives, of some combination of these...

>> -- with just as much likelihood
Why equal likelihood? Any evidence to support this claim?

wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

My precious moon! Don't go, please.
Jan 12, 2024
Correct. A good example is that you have far more in common with another person of your age than your own former child self, yet we would more readily identify with the memories of early years.
That's an interesting thought for sure, and one which I'd lean towards being correct in part; however, I think this answer gives a false conclusion to the originally stated question.

Just because one can consistently identify with a relatable adult more than with their underdeveloped self, doesn't necessarily prove that our concept of self as a whole radically changes throughout our life (we'll say 80 years).

Reactions: sserafim and Pluto
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
If by "self" you mean identity then we really attach ourselves to ideologies and ideas I suppose 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: sserafim and Pluto
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Just because one can consistently identify with a relatable adult more than with their underdeveloped self, doesn't necessarily prove that our concept of self as a whole radically changes throughout our life (we'll say 80 years).
I could have explained that better, though it's easy to open a can of worms.

In short, the consciousness itself - pure consciousness, devoid of any content - is the common thread. Just as there's unlikely to be any particular biological cell in the body that remains unchanged from birth to old age, the brain software of psychological identification has no common content from start to finish. (Indeed, it starts with no real content at all, plus a lot gets discarded in the senior age bracket.)

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
The concept of self is complex and can be viewed from various perspectives, including psychological, philosophical, and spiritual. While our bodies and thoughts may change over time, leading to shifts in our identities and perspectives, the notion of self often encompasses more than just the ego.

The ego, as described in psychology, represents the individual's sense of self-importance and identity. It involves perceptions of oneself in relation to others and the world. However, beyond the ego, there are deeper aspects of self that may transcend individual experiences and temporal changes.

From a philosophical or spiritual standpoint, the self may be considered as a combination of various factors, including consciousness, emotions, memories, and values. These elements can evolve over time, influenced by personal growth, experiences, and external circumstances.

While the ego may play a role in shaping our concept of self, it's not necessarily the only factor at play. The persistence of the self can involve a dynamic interplay between various psychological, social, and existential factors, which can vary from person to person. Ultimately, the nature of the self is a deeply subjective and complex phenomenon that continues to be explored and debated across different disciplines.