• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

W

whateverr

-
Oct 19, 2021
There's always two sides to that type of thing. Since the brain is so thoroughly a mystery, I see no reason why something like faith healing to be fraudulent. However, some people respond positively to psychiatric drugs even though literally none of them beat placebo in clinical trials. If people want the drugs, they should be able to have them. It's predatory psychiatry and the mandating of psychiatry into law and order that is the main problem. On its own, psychiatry is fine so long as it is not abused. And yes, it is obviously abused a fuckton, but that technically doesn't invalidate psychiatry in isolation.

Reactions: Rev346
Arihman

Arihman

Efilist, atheist, pro-right to die.
Jun 8, 2023
There's always two sides to that type of thing. Since the brain is so thoroughly a mystery, I see no reason why something like faith healing to be fraudulent. However, some people respond positively to psychiatric drugs even though literally none of them beat placebo in clinical trials. If people want the drugs, they should be able to have them. It's predatory psychiatry and the mandating of psychiatry into law and order that is the main problem. On its own, psychiatry is fine so long as it is not abused. And yes, it is obviously abused a fuckton, but that technically doesn't invalidate psychiatry in isolation.
The article, despite being critical, is not for the abolition of psychiatry, but for discrediting it as a medical/scientific discipline, which is essential to take away its power.

That, of course, doesn't mean that there aren't people who are dependent on psychiatric drugs to function, and since these people would suffer more, it's probably for the best that such treatment is allowed.

But on the whole, psychiatry should be relegated to the same position a confession to the priest would occupy, i.e. nothing more than a private vice.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I see an antipsychiatry post, I like it. The entire field is built on smoke and mirrors: from a nonsensical "diagnostic" manual that was made up out of thin air, to addictive, inadequately tested drugs that are greatly overstated in terms of both safety and efficacy. Not saying someone couldn't benefit from a prescription drug, but they're basically no different from any street drug, except that they're prescribed to large swaths of the population without true informed consent about what that entails. Psychiatry's primary mission seems to be enriching pharmaceutical companies and giving power-hungry doctors a feeling of superiority, and in that sense it is a smashing success.