Waldorf&Statler

Waldorf&Statler

Feb 17, 2024
Does anyone know how to arrange for disposal of your remains? I don't have friends or family and don't want anyone to have to worry about a funeral or taking care of my remains. Is there a way to take care of this before you ctb? Like, through a coroner service? I don't want a tombstone or anything, just my body put in a mass cremation or something.

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
If you're in the UK you can prepay for your cremation and ashes disposal in advance. If you search the internet for 'direct cremations', a load of companies will come up. It costs around £1000.

Just remember to leave a note detailing what you've arranged, so those dealing with your body will know your wishes.

• Informative
Reactions: iamanavalanche and AnonThinker
AnonThinker

AnonThinker

May 7, 2024
In some places, the local university will come to fetch you if you've donated your body to science. That's what my friend is doing here when he dies. It's free and they will cremate your remains when done and scatter them somewhere nice or return them to your family for no extra cost.

Waldorf&Statler

Waldorf&Statler

Feb 17, 2024
Thanks, I also meant for someone to come and retrieve my body. I live alone and don't have anyone who would notice if I'm gone... probably the landlord after a few months of me not paying rent... can I pre-arrange someone to pick up the body for disposal?

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
In the scenario you describe, once you've been found your body will be removed (possibly for an autopsy). Once it's in a morgue or similar then the prepaid direct cremation plan will kick in - they'll organise the paperwork and remove the body for onward disposal.

As for notifying someone in advance - you'd effectively be telling them you're likely to die soon, which is a very risky strategy and may raise questions.

You may be able to have a paid agreement with a local law firm - that if you don't contact them by X date every month, then they should open a prewritten letter that you've given them. The letter should state where they can find you and your wishes.

Edit - again I'm basing this response on being in the UK