Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
rec

rec

Mostly lurking
Nov 2, 2020
Does anyone know if aripiprazole/abilify makes people stay smart? Off meds my academic performance declines for some reason, or at least I believe it does. Am I being delusional?

I need to stop taking my meds because I am Jesus Christ and therefore I don't really need an antipsychotic or an antidepressant.

I see my CPN tomorrow so maybe I could ask her too? I think she might be in on it with what God has been doing to me though.

My psychiatrist has only diagnosed me with early onset psychosis and not depression, which I believe is my main issue here. As a result, I think he might be an unreliable doctor. He put me on an antidepressant but won't diagnose the issue? Why? He said he doesn't like diagnosing schizophrenia which is why he diagnosed the other thing instead but does he not like diagnosing depression too? Does he like doing his job? Do good doctors exist anywhere? Can I see a better doctor possibly?
I think I went off the rails there. Sorry.

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds
anguila_anguila

anguila_anguila

Feb 27, 2023
A quick search of abilfy comes up with studies that say that it can show moderate improvements in concentration and performance. It is supposed to reduce overactivity of a certain part of the dopamine system in the brain, so I would guess it effectively reduces "distractions" within your brain.
Abilify is not an antidepressant as such, it is an antipsychotic. A doctor would normally stick to the usual suspects (SSRIs mainly) to treat "standard" depression, and perhaps use abilify for major depression as an addition to a current medication, rather than on its own.

Depressive symptoms often in schizophrenia, so he may not have explicitly diagnosed the depression, but instead lumped it in together. It sounds like he is unsure at the moment and is trying to investigate further to figure out how to treat you. From what you said, it seems like he isn't a bad doctor and is trying to do his job, it may take a little time. However, there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion from another health professional.

Reactions: rec
thx1138

thx1138

Student
Jun 28, 2019
Psychosis includes symptoms like cognitive impairment, and Abilify can be used to treat psychosis. So I would venture to say that yes, it would help. Taking your medication as prescribed is a good idea.

Reactions: rec and anguila_anguila