Votes: 22 30.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
banger12

banger12

Former nerd; current burden
Aug 1, 2024
Sure thing, autisibling. 😋 much love

it's really no surprise unfortunately. I suggest doing a bit of research on it if you'd like to get the full picture. Fair warning it's very grim and might get you reevaluating your life a bit lol

according to one study (google a bit you should find it) NTs will form negative opinions of autistics near-instantaneously based off of voice mannerisms and body language, regardless of speech content. Giving NT subjects written transcripts of the autistic speakers resulted in no difference in ratings. Meaning you can be the most polite and intelligent autistic in the world and they'll still see an incompetent retard if you don't smile enough or stand right

another fun fact- we're generally extremely isolated, hilariously unemployed, and most of us can't drive!

i'm sorry. I was diagnosed fairly young but didn't actually realize my issues went deeper than ADHD until I was made aware of autism being the disability that got me accommodations when I was 16-17, so i understand the feeling of "why am I such a fuck up?"

I wish the world was kinder to us. hope you're well
Yeah it makes sense for sure unfortunately. I know weird particularities and mannerisms are shit that NTs will pick up on that realistically speaking should be irrelevant in my view. They don't care about substance it feels sometimes, only dumb superficial vanities. Ofc this is a generalization but I've been treated like shit enough to where I feel its reasonable to be upset. If they're gonna treat me bad I'd rather it be for one of the good reasons. NT society and standards are very stressful. In terms of the last three I tick two of those boxes. No friends at this point and cars are scary lol. Used to have a job that I did well at though, thats a silver lining ig, but yeah the connection to CTB makes sense sadly.

• Hugs
Reactions: xxpinkmoonglitterxx, sugarb, alltoomuch2 and 2 others
banger12

banger12

Aug 1, 2024
Yes. Recently diagnosed at 60yrs old. Sad about the many years where I blamed myself for not fitting in and all the other difficulties. Still learning and trying to find me, but also recently diagnosed BPD and C-PTSD to go with my anxiety disorder. My life hasn't been much fun tbh.
Thats so difficult and I'm so sorry. You deserved to be treating better and it's sad you didn't have access to resources to help you understand these things sooner.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: alltoomuch2 and Praestat_Mori
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Yeah it makes sense for sure unfortunately. I know weird particularities and mannerisms are shit that NTs will pick up on that realistically speaking should be irrelevant in my view. They don't care about substance it feels sometimes, only dumb superficial vanities. Ofc this is a generalization but I've been treated like shit enough to where I feel its reasonable to be upset. If they're gonna treat me bad I'd rather it be for one of the good reasons. NT society and standards are very stressful. In terms of the last three I tick two of those boxes. No friends at this point and cars are scary lol. Used to have a job that I did well at though, thats a silver lining ig, but yeah the connection to CTB makes sense sadly.
god I hate all the secret languages. Ex: fashion. My whole life I've just thought "why wear literally anything other than comfy weather appropriate clothes?" with a small dash of "I kinda like this style" to guide my buying choices. Sometimes when I'm writing I'll try to describe clothing to flesh out a character a bit, because it's another way to describe them and it reflects their personality

But then I found out many people will look at your clothing and make actually significant choices based off of that. People really do care and notice if you're wearing the newest Jordan's vs random sneakers from Target, and they'll choose not to be your friend or date you or just plain treat you worse. that's so fucking crazy to me

nice job on gainful employment. I'm a good student but work is… an intimidating thing for me. not into it.

🫂 things'll get better some way or another

• Hugs
Reactions: xxpinkmoonglitterxx, GoatHerder and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
No, I'm not autistic.

Reactions: sugarb, GuessWhosBack, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
DipAndChips

DipAndChips

Aug 11, 2024
I am not diagnosed but i am 100% sure I am on the spectrum.

100% sure I have aspergers.

• Hugs
Reactions: sugarb, alltoomuch2, banger12 and 1 other person
pollux

pollux

Knight of Infinite Resignation
May 24, 2024
No.

I'm somewhat socially awkward, but I think that's mostly due to me being extremely alone. I can usually operate in social situations.

Reactions: Skathon, GuessWhosBack, banger12 and 1 other person
grungy自殺

grungy自殺

All apologies.....
Jan 9, 2024
I've been on the spectrum since i was 5

I really feel cursed as it's due to family not giving a shit (which is the result of digital illiteracy, which is the result of them coming from a country that is poor in north america at the time. And how it fits is because my family didn't really quite understand how the condition is like and i was born in a city that is a english speaking majority, and i was disinterested in learning and understanding the culture of my family because i was highly graitvated towards american/english media at that point)
They often always assume that any child that is brought to the family would instantly embrace the culture that they have.

Which is not the case....

• Hugs
Reactions: sugarb and banger12
banger12

banger12

Aug 1, 2024
I've been on the spectrum since i was 5

I really feel cursed as it's due to family not giving a shit (which is the result of digital illiteracy, which is the result of them coming from a country that is poor in north america at the time. And how it fits is because my family didn't really quite understand how the condition is like and i was born in a city that is a english speaking majority, and i was disinterested in learning and understanding the culture of my family because i was highly graitvated towards american/english media at that point)
They often always assume that any child that is brought to the family would instantly embrace the culture that they have.

Which is not the case....
Yeah, the family one is born into is unfortunately a luck of the draw thing and has life long consequences. I was raised by a fucked up parent who didn't understand or care to understand autism and she was just shitty and kinda nuts in general tbh. So I know how it feels to resent a shit upbringing while being autistic.

• Hugs
Reactions: grungy自殺 and alltoomuch2
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I certainly hope not. I actually think I would CTB immediately if it turned out I was.

Good thing I took a test when I was a child and it determined that I am not autistic. So there.

• Aww..
Reactions: sugarb, alltoomuch2 and banger12
banger12

banger12

Aug 1, 2024
I certainly hope not. I actually think I would CTB immediately if it turned out I was.

Good thing I took a test when I was a child and it determined that I am not autistic. So there.
I'm not trying to invalidate your experiences or thoughts or anything but I am curious, why do you say that? If you're still the you that you are now, why would that revelation bother you? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying? Wither way I'm curious about your response

Reactions: alltoomuch2 and Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm not trying to invalidate your experiences or thoughts or anything but I am curious, why do you say that? If you're still the you that you are now, why would that revelation bother you? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying? Wither way I'm curious about your response
I already have had to deal with enough autism in my life like my severely autistic sister and my possibly undiagnosed-high-spectrum-abusive father. If it turns out that I myself have some form of it then it means I can pass it on to any potential children of mine and the slim chance of reproduction is really the only thing even keeping me truly alive at the moment and the only thing I can see being worth living for at all. Why even go on knowing that the only reason to live is just going to lead to me passing down faulty genes that are going to doom someone else anyway?

And yeah I know there's potential gene therapy technology in the works but there's no way I'll realistically have any access to that in my lifetime anyway.

• Hugs
Reactions: banger12
untothedepths

untothedepths

Your right. Your life.
Mar 20, 2023
i was diagnosed a long time ago. i have a lot of the symptoms for a high functioning autistic person. i never got treatment or help for it though, except when my mom tried to shop around for a therapist for me, which i didnt go because i knew she probably told them things about me that were not true, so i thought it would have gotten in the way in the validity of my treatment, was also a teen who felt incredibly alone in the world. (this may go against what ive said about not getting help for my issues but i stand by it - i didnt trust my mother to earnestly let me go see a therapist and she had a long history of telling people things i did that were either extremely embarrassing or were downright not true.)

yellowjester

yellowjester

Student
Jun 2, 2024
I might be. My parents were too lazy to get me tested and no one ever told me what I weirdo I was until I figured it out myself fairly recently.

Eternal Eyes

Eternal Eyes

Dec 3, 2023
Diagnosed at 4. I can't help but feel that meant I never had a chance in life. Although my best friend is autistic, and if I wasn't autistic I'd have never met them, so i suppose there's some positives.

• Aww..
banger12

banger12

Aug 1, 2024
I already have had to deal with enough autism in my life like my severely autistic sister and my possibly undiagnosed-high-spectrum-abusive father. If it turns out that I myself have some form of it then it means I can pass it on to any potential children of mine and the slim chance of reproduction is really the only thing even keeping me truly alive at the moment and the only thing I can see being worth living for at all. Why even go on knowing that the only reason to live is just going to lead to me passing down faulty genes that are going to doom someone else anyway?

And yeah I know there's potential gene therapy technology in the works but there's no way I'll realistically have any access to that in my lifetime anyway.
Damn I'm sorry about that. I definitely understand why that would bother you and I think that feeling is valid. However, I hope you don't hold anything against autistic people and this doesn't color how you think of us. But yeah even when you're "high functioning" autism can be severely detrimental in a lot of ways. I for one accept my autism and even enjoy it to a degree but yeah I get it.

Reactions: alltoomuch2
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Damn I'm sorry about that. I definitely understand why that would bother you and I think that feeling is valid. However, I hope you don't hold anything against autistic people and this doesn't color how you think of us. But yeah even when you're "high functioning" autism can be severely detrimental in a lot of ways. I for one accept my autism and even enjoy it to a degree but yeah I get it.
I don't have a problem with other autistic people, I just don't want to have to be responsible for yet another one.

VeryShy

VeryShy

Disabled due to severe autism, and schizophrenia
Jun 21, 2024
Yes, I do have one of the autism spectrum disorders.