P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
or just delusional

do you have to be delusional to see yourself as attractive

I am not sure if this makes any sense but this popped into my brain again after thinking about this question months ago

is confidence even a real thing

sorry just a bit confused

• Hugs
Reactions: girlwithflaxenhair0, Nlis2244, Forever Sleep and 4 others
H

HappyForever?

Love from the deepest dream
Feb 14, 2021
I'm not confident. But for those who get showered in compliments daily, those who receive plenty of attention, those who have had plenty of success, I'd say confidence is a real thing.

• Informative
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), rationaltake and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
But for those who get showered in compliments daily, those who receive plenty of attention, those who have had plenty of success, I'd say confidence is a real thing.
this makes me wonder if you have to have confidence or even a false sense of it in order to receive compliments about anything

will have to observe people more maybe

H

HappyForever?

Love from the deepest dream
Feb 14, 2021
this makes me wonder if you have to have confidence or even a false sense of it in order to receive compliments about anything

will have to observe people more maybe
Confidence, real or fake, boosts your social skills greatly. And this probably affects the amount of compliments you receive. Better social skills = more people who meet you and get to know you = more compliments.

• Informative
Reactions: Nlis2244, FormerlyFe(IV), rationaltake and 3 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Confidence is generally considered an attractive quality, so can be a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. Likewise, unfortunately, for un-confidence. Of course, that's one of many factors of attractiveness. And nobody is attractive to everyone, nor should anyone want to be.

I was thinking today about unconventional attractiveness. People can be attractive just for having a particular demeanor, or tone of voice, or level of intelligence or attitude or whatever. Society fixates so much on generic stuff like looks and social status, but that's really not an accurate or complete picture at all.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), rationaltake, mouseteacup and 3 others
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I was thinking today about unconventional attractiveness. People can be attractive just for having a particular demeanor, or tone of voice, or level of intelligence or attitude or whatever. Society fixates so much on generic stuff like looks and social status, but that's really not an accurate or complete picture at all.
I feel like there should be an experiment or reality show about this because I find being attracted to someone uncoventionally attractive or someone who is unattractive in general based on intelligence, attitude, etc. very interesting and much more interesting and complex than being attracted to someone on the basis of aesthetics and appearance especially if that appearance is not the one that you're encouraged to be attracted to

I don't know if that made any sense

...well there are a few reality shows about this but they are pretty bad in terms of outcomes but I feel as though they should've been I forgot the word but basically done in a different way

ah executed ! executed is the word I forgot

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), rationaltake and Pluto
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I feel like there should be an experiment or reality show about this because I find being attracted to someone uncoventionally attractive or someone who is unattractive in general based on intelligence, attitude, etc. very interesting and much more interesting and complex than being attracted to someone on the basis of aesthetics and appearance especially if that appearance is not the one that you're encouraged to be attracted to
It is an interesting topic for sure. Might not work for reality TV since there is always the pressure for commercial stations to be full of 'eye candy', but it feels like a neglected area of research. There's also a lot of implications for people who are convinced that they are not attractive when they might actually find their own niche if they can unpack this.

I can give a small example from my embarrassing life. I had a crush on a girl at work who wasn't particularly conventionally attractive, but had a very vulnerable personality. She had a slightly nervous demeanour; friendly in a way that was somehow both innocent but also kind of 'masking', like she's the sort of person who would need a bit of extra support to express herself authentically.

Anyway, we had friendly interactions, but I found myself behind closed doors thinking about her. The bubble was burst when I learned that she was married... to another woman! It's funny with hindsight. We remained friendly and had a nice 'sibling' vibe between us. The best explanation that I can give is that I'm fairly gender neutral due to being bullied and emasculated so much in childhood, but gel well with women even further towards the 'femme' side of the gender spectrum. My main trait is a nurturing quality, which seems to make a lot of conventional women quite uncomfortable.

There can be heaps of other weird and wonderful factors at play for people.
* People having 'chemistry' with someone who resembles an abusive, e.g. alcoholic, parent. This gives a sense of familiarity as well as being an outlet for a subconscious desire to resolve childhood issues, but will not end well.
* Random positive parental traits. An example I remember from a self-help book: a woman whose hairy-chested father used to hang out with her in the swimming pool when growing up. As an adult, she ended up with a preference for men with hairy chests.
* Rebelling against agendas pushed by others. Objections to monogamy when pushed by a conservative culture, or desire for deep intimacy/monogamy in the midst of hookup culture, etc.

To keep it simple, the best advice might be to follow your heart but be aware of any possible dangers that could lead to reliving past mistreatment.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: sash, FormerlyFe(IV), rationaltake and 1 other person
Fulminare

Fulminare

Read Thomas Szasz!
Feb 20, 2022
Interesting read so far!! I'd say I'm pretty confident and I do get compliments based on my appearance but also character

• Informative
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), rationaltake and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
To keep it simple, the best advice might be to follow your heart but be aware of any possible dangers that could lead to reliving past mistreatment.
this is very good advice !

My main trait is a nurturing quality, which seems to make a lot of conventional women quite uncomfortable.
I have this quality as well or either people are comfortable around me because I am very quiet and keep to myself

which makes both men and women overshare with me /open up to me a lot about things they wouldn't tell the people they are actually close with

its a bit strange but I can understand and would rather not judge them but it can lead to a lot of problems because maybe I am too nurturing/too nice or too trusting at times and this is one of the many reasons as to why I encourage people to not fall in love with me because for some people basic kindness and helping is a mixed signal I guess I am not sure

or either people fall in love with me because of my interests I don't know and can never tell why people would like me romantically

- had a friend who was dealing with a lot mentally and with their parents so they would vent to me a lot and I would stop everything I was doing just to help them it they could've had an issue at 3:00am and I would help them and I didn't realize that they accidentally fell in love with me because of it and got mad at me because I didn't realize that he was in love with me

- same story as the last one but he wanted to marry me which was very odd and we only were friends for about a year

• Hugs
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), rationaltake and Pluto
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
From my limited observations, confidence seems to be a real skill.

I think if one wants to test if confidence is real, just observe how people or someone you know handles rejections.

How do they respond if they are rejected?

From a circle of friends.

By a person they thought was a suitable mate, or even just someone random in class, a bar, etc.

How do they respond when they don't get the job or the promotion the first time?

As for attractiveness:
I think this can sometimes go hand in hand with confidence, but a part of me thinks one can be attractive and fake confidence, as their attractiveness might be enough cover for lacking that one skill. Now, this thought is based on the assumption that the attractive person has all of the other social skills and mannerisms; however, if said attractive person is lacking other social skills, then I think it becomes a bit more difficult to bluff one's way through confidence.

Now, regarding the question as posed, am I actually confident or attractive?

I am neither confident nor attractive, and I lack the skills necessary.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts, or if my thoughts are wrong, just ignore them.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), rationaltake, Pluto and 1 other person
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I have this quality as well or either people are comfortable around me because I am very quiet and keep to myself

which makes both men and women overshare with me /open up to me a lot about things they wouldn't tell the people they are actually close with
It's a great skill to be able to disarm people, be it through your own honesty/integrity or a quiet and relaxing presence. People who are nonjudgemental, or with quirky interests also give people permission to be themselves.

It would also make for some major bonding, since most people are very emotionally repressed and our society forces us to be very inauthentic to fit in. Many people are secretly carrying a fantasy of connecting very deeply and authentically with another soul. I can see why this would cause trouble when you're not trying to attach at that level. But at least whenever you do want to, you'll be covered.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), rationaltake, outatime_85 and 1 other person
Rocinante

Rocinante

My name is Lucifer, please take my hand
Aug 26, 2022
Not confident by any measure. I seek approval from others or I get depressed, it's brutal. A lot of times I refuse to speak to people. If people trying making conversation I'll just smile/laugh and nod my head. It's so bad I remember a coworker saying a conversation has to be forced out of me. I've becom slightly better at it by speaking more but it's still bad. I'm weak and lack discipline.

As for attractiveness, if going by looks, yes. I don't think you have to be delusional to view yourself as attractive. You'll know if you get enough external validation irl. Positive feedback from an early age is what leads to people to being confident.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, KrowaKovsky, LostinCyberspace and 4 others
FadingSunshine

FadingSunshine

Nothing lasts forever.
Jul 8, 2023
I'm confident in my unconfidence. I don't think I'm perfect, I don't think I look good, I can't handle social situations very well, but I'm ok with that. Instead of running from my reality I embrace it.

• Love
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV) and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
A lot of times I refuse to speak to people. If people trying making conversation I'll just smile/laugh and nod my head. It's so bad I remember a coworker saying a conversation has to be forced out of me. I've becom slightly better at it by speaking more but it's still bad. I'm weak and lack discipline.
I am the same way or at least I was when I was younger but I don't think it's improved much or at all and it doesn't really help since I live under a rock apparently (didn't have any siblings so I was around adults a lot which didn't help me commect with those my own age and I still struggle to do so to this day) sorry for such a long reply in advance most of this is just rambling

but one thing that has helped me personally is rehearsing by having a fake conversation/social situation with myself if that makes any sense

and overthinking body language and gestures and posture but also now that I think about it that can cause a lot of stress

or you're at the point where you're just creating different personalities for social situations and groups but then again everyone has a world personality as far as I know

but now that I am 20 I have realized that it is best to just not care at this point and you should act as if everyone is listening and watching because no one really is you could walk out with just a monstera leaf on and no one would care and start babbling and yelling about The Meat Shower of 1876 sorry for rambling

or I just watch scenes of my favourite film characters or some of my favourite people and study how they talk to people

or to capture the social aesthetics that they have when it comes to being social or having coherent thoughts since I am very bad at explaining things or tend to get word salad-y

Todd McFarlane's intros from Spawn are my favourite to observe at the moment on how to properly string together words/bring out my thoughts

or I view dialogue scenes from the films Gummo and Slacker although those films are odd in terms of dialogue to the viewer since they are films but in terms of real life and the real world these scenes of dialogue seem very real and authentic to me as a person who has eavesdropped, people watched, and observed conversations before

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV), Rocinante and rationaltake
L

lethargic

Jul 14, 2023
Being attractive breeds confidence, not the other way around.

Reactions: Forever Sleep, hevlalab and HappyForever?
H

H.O.Xan

Experienced
Feb 1, 2023
Thoughtful question. I'm physically pretty attractive but I'm not in the best state of mind to get girls or make lots of friends. It worsened after hs. And I wish I learned to speak more eloquently earlier in life so I wouldn't have to grit my teeth in situations that would've otherwise gone smoothly. Sry if I mistyped, can't see properly rn

Last edited:
  • Hugs
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
Thoughtful question. I'm physically pretty attractive but I'm not in the best state of mind to get girls or make lots of friends. It worsened after hs
thank you for your reply most people assume that attractive people are not capable of having such issues (not being in the best state of mind)

or most people would take advantage of your position I find it interesting

I am okay looking although I find it weird that/when people are attracted to me

I always encourage people not to try to romance me because of the same reasoning being not being in the best state of mind

Have you met anyone who knew that you weren't in the best state of mind but they thought you were so attractive that they had the mindset or idea that they "can fix you" / "I can fix him/her"?

Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV)
H

H.O.Xan

Experienced
Feb 1, 2023
thank you for your reply most people assume that attractive people are not capable of having such issues (not being in the best state of mind)

or most people would take advantage of your position I find it interesting

I am okay looking although I find it weird that/when people are attracted to me

I always encourage people not to try to romance me because of the same reasoning being not being in the best state of mind

Have you met anyone who knew that you weren't in the best state of mind but they thought you were so attractive that they had the mindset or idea that they "can fix you" / "I can fix him/her"?

That reminds me of the quote from blade runner 😂 not to that point to ans ur question. I had that type of interaction once but never again. Like I said, although I'm fairly attractive physically, I judge my true attractiveness based on my character. As men predominantly do. Women's primary metric of attractiveness is their physical beauty. But as far as ik I can only exude so much charisma to cold approach. Make friends etc. especially with the dead look in my eyes

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: psp3000
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
the mindset or idea that they "can fix you" / "I can fix him/her"?
This thought stands out the most because it is not always easy to discern between someone who wants a project they can "fix" and someone who cares and just wants to be by someone's side as support.

Then, when one figures out they are just a project and not really cared about, they feel even worse than if the fixer had just left the broken toy alone.

Sorry if my thoughts are incoherent or rambling.

FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
I'm confident in my professional skills. I've worked in several teams in the past and, despite my people skills be lacking, my problem solving skills and programming knowledge in general was usually good enough. I learned most of what I know on the job and just in a few months of a part-time internship I had the head of Tech casually ask me on the streets to consider a full-time position. I just had to say yes, but I liked the lesser hours so I kept being called the "senior intern" for a good while.

Until recently I was FWB with two women and they both have way more sexual experience than me. The fact that I am able to be "good in bed" despite that did wonders to my ego.

I'm not confident. But for those who get showered in compliments daily, those who receive plenty of attention, those who have had plenty of success, I'd say confidence is a real thing.

YESSS validation can do a huge thing for the ego. Whether it's validation from friends, validation from work, or sexual validation.

I really don't like the shape of my face, it's kinda weird oval and I don't really have any lookalikes. I'm a weird mix of Italian, Spanish, Native Brazilian and "Generic Brazilian" and I always feel like I don't belong comparing myself to others on the streets.

But when a few of my female friends, more than once, said that I'm hot (gostoso), that helped a lot. They also knew me more than just the surface-level looks so I can imagine my personality is a huge factor, but it made me way more confident in myself.

YES. The whole "sapiosexual" bit may be overdone and be sooo 2000s/2010s but I always valued intelligence a lot since I was a kid.

I had a crush back in first grade to a girl name Leaf, she was so cute, but then I saw her math homework was kindergarden addition like 4 + 3 while I was doing multiplication already and I lost a lot of attraction to her.

Or this one time in college that I was doing a class with a girl and we ended up discussing how she could make her processor architecture. She invited me to her presentation on how her processor would work and DAMN. She dressed up business-casual like, being so assertive in her presentation, and all I could think is that the could be like a CEO and I would be lucky to be associated with her. Super, super hot.

She also loved sarcasm and puns but we didn't have much chemistry other than that so it didn't work out.

Looks are also super random too. The 90s had super skinny supermodels that were "heroin chic" and I never understood the appeal. Come recent years with body positivity on the rise and people value thiccness now, and that is seemingly on the decline? It makes no sense. The kind of bodies that appeal to me don't change with trends, but the perspective on what "is generally perceived attractive" does. Go figure.

And honestly? Guys are horndogs and all that but after a really not fun experience with a woman recently, yeah, looks only go so far (women going duh while reading this). Personality and compatibility are way much more important. It's just that looks get the first foot in the door easier.

Being attractive breeds confidence, not the other way around.

Confidence is attractive. Looks only go so far, people also judge you by how you act. People can warm up to your character if you're attractive on the inside even if you're not so attractive on the outside.

Not exactly, but part of my first relationship started because both of us weren't doing amazing (neither of us knew it was depression) and we helped each other both get better. It wasn't necessarily a "fix them" situation, but there was a bit of trauma bonding, so to speak. But there were other factors in our relationship too beyond our difficulties.

• Love
Reactions: Pluto and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
YES. The whole "sapiosexual" bit may be overdone and be sooo 2000s/2010s but I always valued intelligence a lot since I was a kid.
I value intelligence too which is why most of my friends in the past laughed at my crushes or love interests in the past and if I had friends now they probably still would laugh at them because I personally do not go for looks

for me personally intelligence, and the ability to communicate ones interests is very attractive and is much more important to me than looks but also that makes it way too easy for me to fall in love with people or have interest in them I guess or at least for me

looks can be an illusion and blind you from getting to know someone's true motives and character (blah blah limerence stuff blah blah) and they don't last forever but someone's personality changes over time which is a good and a bad thing depending on how it changes

it's like having the "same" new partner over the years like an advent calendar I guess you can discover and know who each of you are from the very beginning wether if it's someone's interests personality traits fears worries skills etc.

it's so great !

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: outatime_85, Pluto and FormerlyFe(IV)
brainwormz

brainwormz

Based cringelord
Jul 18, 2023
if I started a hrt at 14 like most of my friends and didn't weight 250 lbs id actually be pretty cute and confident as a result. I was delusional enough a few years ago to feel attractive but I'm just an old shit hon. I'm not as ugly as I could be at least. But yeah when I was actually trying and a lot skinnier is was pretty popular and it felt great. Made me confident. Now I look at those old photos and cringe.

But no I don't think you necessarily have to be delusional to feel attractive. From what I've witnessed the people around me who are objectively hot are always delusional about not passing and being ugly.

• Hugs
LostinCyberspace

LostinCyberspace

May 9, 2023
Not confidant at all. I've had a coworker tell me I'm not half bad looking, and there was a girl in high school who had a crush on me. I've never had someone call me ugly to insult me, so at least I have that. I weigh around 150 lbs, lift weights and use a punching bag occasionally but I think I'm pretty weak. Edit: I just checked and I'm actually 142 lbs, I guess I should eat more.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante, outatime_85 and psp3000
sammiechzxv

sammiechzxv

just a girl who's kinda sad
Aug 7, 2023
Kind of? I think I'm pretty but also not really above average. But I guess I can be confident, I think I'm a pretty decent person and that's what matters.

Reactions: outatime_85 and psp3000
KrowaKovsky

KrowaKovsky

i dunno what to put here
Feb 22, 2023
I've sort of faked my confidence until I sort of believed what I am saying. Sometimes I have doubts on really bad days, but I still try to treat myself at least a little positivity.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: psp3000, outatime_85 and Rocinante
l0stc4use

l0stc4use

lonely
May 6, 2022
i fake my confidence but i don't think i'm attractive. however i think it works but i'm not sure

• Informative
Reactions: psp3000
cosifantutti

cosifantutti

Student
Aug 27, 2023
or just delusional

do you have to be delusional to see yourself as attractive

I am not sure if this makes any sense but this popped into my brain again after thinking about this question months ago

is confidence even a real thing

sorry just a bit confused
If I'm feeling well I am very confident, clever, good fun - I'm the person I want to be.
Most of the time my mental health is bad and I simply don't want to be here. All the good stuff is irrelevant when I'm unwell.
This confuses lots of people.

Tortured_empath

Tortured_empath

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2019
Slightly. I don't know what others think of me. Just can't crack that code.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm sure there is such a thing as confidence because it's opposite exists- crushing self doubt. I also think there is such a thing as over confidence though- arrogance- where someone believes they are better than they actually are.

In terms of looks- it's subjective I guess. I guess there are people that lots of people find attractive. They may or may not realise it themselves. There are extremes really I guess. Some people fancy themselves rotten. Others are absolutely gorgeous but have dysmorphia.

I don't think people are delusional to realise they are attractive- if they actually are. Personally though- I really dislike it when someone is so up themselves. I've known some really stunning people who actually hated the attention too. Part of me is glad I'm ugly. Lol.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I'm past confidence all the way into not caring what anyone thinks, which might be related to confidence but really just a type of apathy. I am considered attractive but don't think about it but it's sort of an undercurrent that others put on me but it's generally just annoying.