• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think many people expressed a yes to this question. Recently I read a scientists who affirmed this question. I probably don't have a very sophisticated opinion but I would go for the unpopluar answer no we are not in WW3 for now.

I have some arguments. For me this is rather a proxy war between Russia and Western countries. Why should it be different to other proxy wars like in Korea or Vietnam?

Yeah you could say India and China somewhat support Putin. However I think in case Russia dropped a nuke they would immediately change the sides. Putin will be despised by almost every country in the whole world. There will be way more sanctions. Russia cannot win a war against all Western countries. (as long as they are united). China and India do not want to team up with the loser Putin. In case Russia drops the nuke we will be very very close to WW3. I don't think they will do it but it is not totally unlikely. When Russia drops the nuke the US will respond. Probably with conventional weapons. Russia could declare that as an attack against their territory and declare war against NATO. This might would end developed life on this planet for some years. It is kind speculation. I doubt Putin really wants to die or that his family dies. He plays with the fears of the world and tries to blackmail them. Personnaly I am not really anxious about that. At least compared to other people. My life is already totally fucked please drop a nuke on my apartment Putin. As long as I have one.

Last edited:
M

Meaninglessness

Existence is absolutely meaningless
Nov 12, 2022
There are several opinions about whether we are already in World War III. Some people claim that World War III begun February 24, 2022 when Russia invaded Ukraine and others claim that World War III will start this year, 2023. War is the perfect time to commit suicide. Russian soldiers have already committed suicide before they reached the battlefield. During World War II, many in the civilian population committed suicide. I am just waiting for a nuclear war. There will be wars as long as there is overpopulation.

Reactions: sserafim
Rainy_days

Rainy_days

Experienced
Dec 21, 2022
I share your opinion that we are not. As you say, it is still a proxy war involving only two country's militaries, in one country's territory. If the conflict starts to spread to say Poland, Belarus or Finland then we're closer to WW3. If China attacks Taiwan or North Korea attacks South Korea, then I think that would precipitate true world wide conflict.

CowsAgainstCapitali

CowsAgainstCapitali

Dec 11, 2022
I honestly think we're done with country to country world wars. Nations entering official war is becoming less common. There will be exceptions such as the current Russia/Ukraine, possibly Korea, India, a few others, but I think governments as a whole have evolved to a point where they've realized and mutually agreed that collective oppression is much more profitable (in every way) and cleaner than military campaigns. A loose republic of dictatorships is more stable. You oppress your folks, I'll oppress mine, and we'll laugh at them for believing we're enemies instead of shaking hands!

For me to call it WW3 a good number of large powers from all continents would have to disrupt the nice arrangement they have by using up lots of money and resources.

I only see quiet wars, fought by states (The State) against the people in our future. Perhaps my vision of a not very violent Revolution will b called WW3 long after it's over.

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
We are not but we are at high risk, I would say.

Reactions: sserafim
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
There are several opinions about whether we are already in World War III. Some people claim that World War III begun February 24, 2022 when Russia invaded Ukraine and others claim that World War III will start this year, 2023. War is the perfect time to commit suicide. Russian soldiers have already committed suicide before they reached the battlefield. During World War II, many in the civilian population committed suicide. I am just waiting for a nuclear war. There will be wars as long as there is overpopulation.
Global population is declining in developed countries. It's mainly just rising in places like Sub-Saharan Africa, Nigeria. The US population has been climbing mainly due to immigrants.

World hunger will be solved either through intensive gardening with robots that basically hand-weed everything, vertical farms, or fertilizing the oceans, or most likely a combination of these.

Overpopulation is a temporary thing - as we get smarter we can support more people with the same resources, and we're about to get a lot smarter about it. Also, birth rates are below replacement levels in almost all the Western world. And once we colonize the asteroid belt, we can build habitats with space equivalent to a few million earths. My worry is the damage that the current population will do before we get smart enough to live sustainably.

And no, we are not currently in a world war. Proxy wars are nothing new. If that was the case, Vietnam would have been a world war. And Korea, the US and UN forces directly fought China.
I honestly think we're done with country to country world wars. Nations entering official war is becoming less common. There will be exceptions such as the current Russia/Ukraine, possibly Korea, India, a few others, but I think governments as a whole have evolved to a point where they've realized and mutually agreed that collective oppression is much more profitable (in every way) and cleaner than military campaigns. A loose republic of dictatorships is more stable. You oppress your folks, I'll oppress mine, and we'll laugh at them for believing we're enemies instead of shaking hands!

For me to call it WW3 a good number of large powers from all continents would have to disrupt the nice arrangement they have by using up lots of money and resources.

I only see quiet wars, fought by states (The State) against the people in our future. Perhaps my vision of a not very violent Revolution will b called WW3 long after it's over.
I share your opinion that we are not. As you say, it is still a proxy war involving only two country's militaries, in one country's territory. If the conflict starts to spread to say Poland, Belarus or Finland then we're closer to WW3. If China attacks Taiwan or North Korea attacks South Korea, then I think that would precipitate true world wide conflict.
I don't know if the US or China have the commitment and the stomach to directly join and escalate. China likely will not invade Taiwan for many reasons and North Korea doesn't have the resources to sustain a war. Finland and Poland are part of NATO. Belarus is already well within Russia's sphere influence plus Putin saved Lukashenko.
Based on a regional war in eastern Europe between two countries with tiny-ass economies?

Last edited:
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
The future is not fixed, so our actions (including our posts) can change this, but if there are two more world wars the most likely sequence IMO is:
WWW III = top-down one-world-government versus bottom-up independents
WWW IV = Humans and AIs that value humans versus people who see humanity as evil and AIs that see us as dangerous
(War with extraterrestrials would not be a world war in the sense of WW I and WW II).

I work to guide things toward a future without more world wars.

sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
The future is not fixed, so our actions (including our posts) can change this, but if there are two more world wars the most likely sequence IMO is:
WWW III = top-down one-world-government versus bottom-up independents
WWW IV = Humans and AIs that value humans versus people who see humanity as evil and AIs that see us as dangerous
(War with extraterrestrials would not be a world war in the sense of WW I and WW II).

I work to guide things toward a future without more world wars.
Do you believe in free will then? Why? What if your "free will" leads you toward your eventual fate?

Reactions: Homo erectus