N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
The statement "Happy people are not interesting" was made in a song of the German band Kraftklub in a song about melancholia.
From the feedback I have gotten in this forum I am a somewhat interesting person. However I notice in my everyday life that this does not have to say a lot about yourself. When women notice my severe mental issues they flee from me. I think my conditions ruined so many potential partnerships. I might be an interesting character but I don't have the qualities one needs for being a partner presumably.

The implication that unhappy people are more interesting brings no real comfort to them. I could imagine one can sublimate the suffering into something productive or creative. However me as so many others are often so much tortured that no productivity is possible. Sometimes the pain is simply paralyzing. Maybe for a normie it is interesting how it feels like not being able to leave the bed. How it is like wanting to kill yourself every single day since over a decade. Maybe being depressed or suicidal is seen as interesting because of people like Kurt Cobain, David Foster Wallace or Budd Dwyer. People who became part of myths or the popculture. The dark and sadness in one's soul can be seen as fascinating. The abyss the human mind can sometimes produce. People love true crime podcasts. The Aokigahara forest is for many people an interesting and mythical place. Maybe people would like to be 5 minutes in our shoes to know how it feels like. Though of course this is impossible. Part of our "experience" is that it can last a very long time period or even forever.

The statement is so much of a simplification that it annoys me. There are boring and interesting people no matter how happy they are. It is kind of stereotype. However maybe it only annoys me so much because I cannot buy me anything for being seen as interesting. Lol. I mean I still need to kill myself eventually.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sserafim, theslasher, anhedonicNfoggy and 4 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it depends whether the person they are interacting with is also unhappy. I think normies or- 'happy shiny people' as they were refered to the other day, sometimes try to avoid unhappy people as they bring down the mood. They almost don't want to become tainted by our cynical, pessimistic view of things.

Whereas, I expect unhappy people tend to gravitate to others who share a similar perspective. There's likely more empathy there. Plus- seeing as we are a group that already feels shunned- maybe we have a bias to actually 'promote' the unhappy person as being more insightful/interesting than the average normie as a kind of compensation.

When it comes to whether unhappy people are more interesting, I just don't know. Perhaps depression leads to greater introspection. More time spent alone that some people will use to read up on all sorts of stuff. Whereas, maybe happy people will be out there, living their lives rather than ruminating about them.

Personally- I find unhappy people to be more interesting but that's because I relate to them more. If someone comes across as happy and confident- chances are I'll feel intimidated by them and I'll try to avoid them in the first place!

Reactions: sserafim, Harrow, noname223 and 1 other person
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

šŸŽµ Be all, end all šŸŽµ
Apr 17, 2023
Depends. I'm more interesting than most unhappy wretches but that's because I've read A LOT so I can talk about many things. An unhappy person who just wallows and watches tv and does drugs or drinks isn't going to be very interesting unless they're naturally observant.

Reactions: Harrow and theslasher