N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think we all know situations that deeply trigger us.

I am often obsessed what other people think of me. So I try to remind myself of the following quote.
"You will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do." It helps me when I am stressed with how people perceive me.

In clinics they told me. Try not to evaluate yourself all the time when you mainly criticize yourself. Rather try to be analytical, try to be neutral or you look from a third-person perspective at yourself. Personally I am more friendly and forgiving to other people than to myself. I am very hard to myself.
In such situations (which happen a lot) I try to contextualize what is happening. There are very good reasons why I am this neurotic and hypervigilant mental wreck that has problems with certain interactions or exercises. One should be able to forgive mistakes. We are all human and fallible.

Especially when I have the pathology to get worked up about worries, sorrows, paranoia etc. I try to give me a break. Maybe it sounds ridiculous but I have some smartphone games that are just dopamine boosters for me. Gladly I am not susceptible for gacha elements otherwise this would not be a good advice. But everything that can pull me out of the stream of reinforcing negative thoughts is a gift and valuable.

First I wanted to make a thread about breathing techniques. Though I barely have knowledge on that. I try to remind myself to take a very deep breath in/after triggering situations. Sometimes more than one. It is a contrast to the stream of my consciousness that is usually filled up with racing thoughts. Personally I don't profit a lot from mindfulnes. Though breathing is really an important skill for me. It helps me the most when I try to sleep. I think self-awareness can be helpful. I am no expert but to focus on all different sensations can calm one down. I am not particular good at it. But when I am in my mind I am very insular and I feel like I am in a solipsistic world. Taking a look outside the window reminds me that the world is full of people in different situations. I am not the only one that struggles. The nature is full of animals and beings we are usually not aware about. There is so much complexity and I am a part of that. There is a lot one can learn about this world so that one can get a grasp of what is feels to be a fucking human being. Honestly this sounds a little bit corny but it fits to my current mood and there is a similar quote I like.

Moreover another thought that comforts me is every feeling or thought finite. I know thoughts can haunt you for a very long time or be repetitive and tormenting. Though in the end everything is finite. When I cannot escape a recurring thought I try to distract me instead. Maybe something that gives me hope. Something that just makes the pain a little bit less agressive and easier to cope with. Something that just helps me to make it through the day. When there are longlasting problems I can try to give me at least some breaks from them. Even if I cannot solve them I can still try to give me a break from them. So shortterm treatment of the acute worries/pain can be fully legitimate when one is struggling. I am not thinking of particular sentences that I have in mind. It would be too specific to explain them anyway. But I sometimes remind me of songs that perfectly capture how I am feeling in such situations. (e.g Heavy from Linkin Park)
There are not always full sentences but there are also words, music, memories, images of friends etc that can comfort me. It can remind me I am not alone with this pain.

Do you have similar sentences or things you think of that can help you when your pain is overwhelming you?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: KuroiSH, quiet.rabbit, Citruscine and 3 others
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
I like this. Something I do is try to talk to myself as if I was talking to a childlike version of myself in a caring, loving manner- like I use diminutive names for myself, saying things like "oh, darling, it's okay, it's going to be okay, you're doing really well". It does feel comforting and makes me feel a little stronger.

Sometimes I also try to remind myself that I am strong, I am tough, I am brave, I can get through this...

• Hugs
Reactions: LivideLamb