ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
i haven't been around for long, but I've seen many goodbye threads and questions about methods, but how many of us actually tried? succeeding or not.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
WitheringAway

WitheringAway

Ima shake the champagne bottle...
Jun 23, 2020
I tried, almost succeeded.. but I backed out.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoneGoneGone, ecmnesia and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
There's no way of verifying whether the user has successfully CTB or not in most cases. So there isn't a collection of data on the subject.

Reactions: antigone_iris and ecmnesia
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
There aren't any hard statistics of this sort of thing but If I had to take a guess it'd probably be between 2-5%. A very low amount despite the site's central topic of suicide.

Reactions: Mr2005, ecmnesia and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
There aren't any hard statistics of this sort of thing but If I had to take a guess it'd probably be between 2-5%. A very low amount despite the site's central topic of suicide.
I'd guess around the same, maybe a tiny bit higher. From what I've seen most either recover or leave for other reasons.

Reactions: Mr2005, Sensei and ecmnesia
ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
I'd guess around the same, maybe a tiny bit higher. From what I've seen most either recover or leave for other reasons.
recover? i don't fairly often visit recovery section but that is sure surprising. although it might be reasonable, cause I can't wonder why would they give up on cbt if not for it.

it's just weird I guess, that despite the purpose of this site, the majority of us don't actually go for cbt.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
recover? i don't fairly often visit recovery section but that is sure surprising. although it might be reasonable, cause I can't wonder why would they give up on cbt if not for it.

it's just weird I guess, that despite the purpose of this site, the majority of us don't actually go for cbt.
You don't hear about the recovery ones as much because they often just self ban. There aren't many goodbye threads in recovery vs suicide forum.

I'm just speaking too from what I've seen in the year I've been here. It's purely anecdotal evidence.

Reactions: antigone_iris, Sensei, AfraidofEverything and 2 others
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
I think for many the assumption is that everyone who signs up here wants to ctb. But there are many who simply want to vent or generally discuss their thoughts without getting shackled and sent to a ward, and these thoughts tackle a wide array of topics: financial issues, parental abuse, incompetence of the mental health care system, work problems, transitioning to adulthood, parenthood. These are at time inextricably linked to ctb. Some resolve their issues just by talking them through with others and getting motivation. @Gnip made a really good point, they said they'd rather talk to strangers for free than to professionals who bleed you dry. I agree

• Love
Reactions: antigone_iris, Mr2005, Silvermorning and 4 others
chrisbate7

chrisbate7

Student
Sep 30, 2020
Even if you truly want to die, there is literally nothing harder than making that final decision to end your life. Most people simply are incapable of doing that. That's why CTB is truly one of the most courageous acts one can do.

• Love
Reactions: antigone_iris, Fehler, Mr2005 and 2 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018

Most people who kill themselves do exactly that. They don't spend ages on a forum because they're not looking to have their mind changed. For example I recently found out someone I knew did it. It actually happened a few years ago. I knew nothing about it. Him and his girlfriend lived in the flat I used to live in. I asked if they were still there. That's when I found out. Bit of a shock but it shouldn't have been really. They were both heroin addicts. They were both young too. She can't have been more than 20 when it happened. He felt responsible for having got her on it in the first place so took his own life. I can't imagine there was much of a gap between her dying and him. He certainly wouldn't have been here talking it through. Whether that would have done him any good or not I doubt it

• Hugs
Reactions: antigone_iris and Brick In The Wall