• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

afutility

afutility

-
Dec 27, 2020
rather self-explanatory title. supposing i will be ''saved'' is there a risk of any brain damage/major loss of function associated with SN? i don't want to end up as a vegetable in case of a failed attempt. this is also the major reason i don't want to go for ctb by hanging.

thanks for your replies and have a nice rest of your day.

Reactions: r4z0r-prince and annointed_towers
D

dggtscccvfd

Mage
Jun 1, 2023
It's debated. Most of the people that have survived SN have done so with no long term damage, but exceptions are always possible. SN reduces the body's oxygen supply: it's pretty obvious that that carries risks of long term damage.

• Informative
Reactions: etherealspring, Davey36000, IsThisEverything and 4 others
Upvote 0
Old Friend

Old Friend

Sleep well, Airstrip One.
Sep 24, 2023
It seems more forgiving than many methods but I doubt there's any method that 100% guarantees no damage in the event of a failed attempt.

Reactions: etherealspring, dggtscccvfd and Praestat_Mori
Upvote 2
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
It also depends a lot on how early you get saved and if you vomit

Reactions: etherealspring, IsThisEverything, dggtscccvfd and 1 other person
Upvote 1
D

Deleted member 65988

One word: time

This is will pretty much will decide if you live with long-term damage depending on the treatment and how swift it is or you probably die inspite of the treatment.

Reactions: rozeske, grahf, dinosavr and 2 others
Upvote 1
afutility

afutility

-
Dec 27, 2020
thank you for the answers. what are some of the possible negative long-term effects on my body if i was saved?

Reactions: dggtscccvfd
Upvote 1
Old Friend

Old Friend

Sleep well, Airstrip One.
Sep 24, 2023
Yeah, keep in mind that dying is a process. SN is not the quickest when it comes to delivering death, although it makes up for it somewhat by being fairly peaceful, easy to implement, not that expensive and, until recently at least in some places, fairly accessible.

One thing that puts me off inert gas, along with the faff and expense is that there seems to be a fairly long window between when permanent damage starts and death. Inert gas sounds more peaceful than SN, but like I said, SN seems more forgiving.

That said: inert gas has had more research into it, thanks to being the method of choice of certain pro-euthanasia groups. We're largely comparing notes from each other on SN.

Upvote 1
D

Deleted member 65988

While sodium nitrite poisoning can cause severe symptoms and complications, its direct link to brain damage in a suicide attempt is not well established. The primary concern with sodium nitrite ingestion is methemoglobinemia, which can lead to oxygen deprivation in tissues and organs. However, this condition mainly affects the circulatory system and not the brain directly.

The connection between sodium nitrite and brain damage is not as strong as other toxins or chemicals that may be ingested during a suicide attempt. For example, substances like carbon monoxide, cyanide, and certain drugs can directly cause brain damage or death due to oxygen deprivation or other neurotoxic effects.

• Informative
Reactions: grahf, kerakott, afutility and 2 others
Upvote 1
afutility

afutility

-
Dec 27, 2020
While sodium nitrite poisoning can cause severe symptoms and complications, its direct link to brain damage in a suicide attempt is not well established. The primary concern with sodium nitrite ingestion is methemoglobinemia, which can lead to oxygen deprivation in tissues and organs. However, this condition mainly affects the circulatory system and not the brain directly.

The connection between sodium nitrite and brain damage is not as strong as other toxins or chemicals that may be ingested during a suicide attempt. For example, substances like carbon monoxide, cyanide, and certain drugs can directly cause brain damage or death due to oxygen deprivation or other neurotoxic effects.
the lesser effect on the brain is nice. wanting a 100% reversible method is foolish, but this seems nice enough. taking precautions to not be found too early is still essential.

Upvote 1
D

Deleted member 65988

the lesser effect on the brain is nice. wanting a 100% reversible method is foolish, but this seems nice enough. taking precautions to not be found too early is still essential.
Exactly, it's just better to avoid having to worry about it by making sure you aren't found or found too early since Methomoglobinemia works rapidly

Reactions: Talvikki and dggtscccvfd
Upvote 1
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
A few users have said they suffered heart problems (one being unable to run again for risk of dying from the physical exertion) and brain damage (memory loss). There's other effects but that what I know by memory

Upvote 1
Kta1994

Kta1994

Experienced
Apr 25, 2019
A few users have said they suffered heart problems (one being unable to run again for risk of dying from the physical exertion) and brain damage (memory loss). There's other effects but that what I know by memory
Also kidney issues.
Does the memory loss necessarily implies brain damage?

Upvote 1
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
I didn't have any long term effects from it despite getting so close I was given CPR and briefly intubated. Methalyn Blue works very quickly after it is given, so if first responders administer it quickly enough the outlook is much less grim I feel.

• Wow
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Deleted member 65988, afutility and 1 other person
Upvote 0
D

dggtscccvfd

Mage
Jun 1, 2023
I didn't have any long term effects from it despite getting so close I was given CPR and briefly intubated. Methalyn Blue works very quickly after it is given, so if first responders administer it quickly enough the outlook is much less grim I feel.
Wow CPR, you were within minutes of death then? How much SN did you take?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

Also kidney issues.
Thing is, when people talk about brain damage, they're mainly talking about being a vegetable.
Well yeah, reason being which works alongside innate reducing enzymes by acting as a cofactor and an electron acceptor. This increases the rate of reductase enzyme activity converting ferric iron to ferrous iron and hence metHb to haemoglobin so thats why it worked so fast.

@willitpass how close were you to ctb because if CPR was needed, you certainly had the potential for cardiac arrest and then death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
@willitpass[/USER] how close were you to ctb because if CPR was needed, you certainly had the potential for cardiac arrest and then death.

Wow CPR, you were within minutes of death then? How much SN did you take?
According to my medical records, my methemoglobin, which is the part of blood that SN acts on was 60% upon arrival to the hospital. 20% causes cyanosis, 50% is associated with certain death without treatment. I was very close. I only was saved because in my dying stupor I told my boyfriend at the time I was dying and he called for help.

Reactions: dggtscccvfd and Deleted member 65988
Upvote 0
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
According to my medical records, my methemoglobin, which is the part of blood that SN acts on was 60% upon arrival to the hospital. 20% causes cyanosis, 50% is associated with certain death without treatment. I was very close. I only was saved because in my dying stupor I told my boyfriend at the time I was dying and he called for help.
Was it painful? How many grams did you take? Did you vomit?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

Then you are rather fortunate. Also, the methemglobin levels don't necessarily have to rise to 70% or above to be fatal so you could've still died had help arrived in time but as you said, anything above 50% is vert critical and time is of the essence to treat and give someone a chance to survive.

Do you think benzos could've made the process easier and potentially not even saved you in time had you blacked out? I'm always curious about this.
Was it painful? How many grams did you take? Did you vomit?

Read through this thread and look for @willitpass comments.

Upvote 0
willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
Then you are rather fortunate. Also, the methemglobin levels don't necessarily have to rise to 70% or above to be fatal so you could've still died had help arrived in time but as you said, anything above 50% is vert critical and time is of the essence to treat and give someone a chance to survive.

Do you think benzos could've made the process easier and potentially not even saved you in time had you blacked out? I'm always curious about this.
I would have died if I had not told someone, I was not breathing and my heart must have briefly stopped if I required CPR. This was not a case of needing more medication, it was an error on my part for telling someone I was dying.

Reactions: dggtscccvfd and Deleted member 65988
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

I would have died if I had not told someone, I was not breathing and my heart must have briefly stopped if I required CPR. This was not a case of needing more medication, it was an error on my part for telling someone I was dying.
So then, it would've worked inspite of the benzos. I meant in terms of making the process easier perhaps?

Upvote 0
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
You said pain was 6/10. Did u feel suffocation? Or what kind of pain stomach or headache?

I consider drowning or setting on fire 10 /10 in intensity and constantness of pain. But I consider that shorter duration like 5 minutes of extreme pain then death. There is worse suffering / pain because of longer duration than 5 minutes at this level of pain

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 65988
Upvote 0
Kta1994

Kta1994

Experienced
Apr 25, 2019
Thing is, when people talk about brain damage, they're mainly talking about being a vegetable.

Well yeah, reason being which works alongside innate reducing enzymes by acting as a cofactor and an electron acceptor. This increases the rate of reductase enzyme activity converting ferric iron to ferrous iron and hence metHb to haemoglobin so thats why it worked so fast.

@willitpass how close were you to ctb because if CPR was needed, you certainly had the potential for cardiac arrest and then death.
To become a vegetable with SN i imagine you would have to be saved really late right?

Upvote 0
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
Also kidney issues.
Late response, sorry didn't see this earlier.

According to the poster, it was brain damage. Not talking losing memory of when taking sn, I mean general bad memory.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65988

To become a vegetable with SN i imagine you would have to be saved really late right?
To be saved really late would mean your Methomoglobin levels are way past fatal levels which are about 60% or greater, at that point it would be very difficult to be saved even with medical treatment.

Upvote 0