N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I currently read the David Foster Wallace biography and it's pretty good. Someone of his friends at the clinics wondered why such a guy does not go to a Betty Ford center for addicts. This made me think. I once met a professor at a clinic he was the opposite of arrogant or conceited. He probably would have had the money to go to a private clinic either. I admired that guy but he hated me. Lol.

Maybe it depends on the country. I live in Germany and the health care system is compared to many (not all) countries very good. I am confliced I never was in a private clinic so I have no first hand experiences. I can only speculate.

Personally I think there probably is no huge differences. But I am not sure. You probably have way more talking time with your personal therapist. The food is better, the individual schedule fits better, the individual desires are fulfiled. I could imagine there are a lot of privileges things I probably cannot even imagine.

Though there is one reason why I think it does not matter that much. If you are mentally extremely fucked, if you are addicted to 10 different hard drugs no money in the world can heal you. Maybe in some aspects it is even more difficult to recover. When life is usually very easy, you are materially very well off you might not know true hardship. Maybe people in worse circumstances can deal in some (not all) instances better with struggles.

I once met a guy from a rich family who had a psychosis. The staff at the clinic said well he will have to go through this shit like everyone else no matter what the bankaccount of his family says. I think I asked what happened to him when I was again at that clinic. And seemingly he lives in a foreign country on a vacation island. Well personally I plan my suicide because of future poverty. However I think his life is probably also a pain in the ass. I think he is schizophrenic and I don't think material possessions can ease that pain fully.

Has anyone experiences with private clinics and has first hand experiences?

Last edited: