D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
Do you think ppl who boast about their lives on social media actually happy?

Reactions: Trannydiary and Ghost2211
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
If you were truly happy, would you really feel the need to boast about it?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Trannydiary, these_days9, Chupacabra 44 and 8 others
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
Reactions: Trannydiary, Ghost2211, Brick In The Wall and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
Interesting reply. I see social media- particularly instagram- as a means to show off & achieve 'immortality' through hedonism.

Reactions: Trannydiary and Sensei
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
Do you think ppl who boast about their lives on social media actually happy?
Some normalfags appear very happy yet they carefully fortify the fragile optimistic delusion they encase themselves within like a glass tomb that may shatter at any moment.
They have in actuality consumed more memes than myself.
I suggest you like get off social media becuase it is total crud

D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
So, they just appear happy, they aren't actually happier than ppl who don't boast about their lives on social media.

Reactions: Trannydiary and Sensei
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
If you were truly happy, would you really feel the need to boast about it?
Exactly, you'd be too busy "living the life" to bother with posting updates.

Reactions: Trannydiary, Disappointered and Sensei
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
So, they just appear happy, they aren't actually happier than ppl who don't boast about their lives on social media.
Hard to say given how widespread social media usage is and the fact most who do not use it are outcast losers that tend to be fairly unwell mentally.

D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
My father was very overprotective and didn't let me use social media when I was growing up. This is because I grew up in the Middle East as radicalization is a real problem there. Plus, he said social media was fake and irritating. So, am I an outcast loser who is unwell mentally? I'm laughing now.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
am I an outcast loser who is unwell mentally? I'm laughing now.
I did not mean you in my post but one has to wonder considering we are on a suicide forum at the moment if we are mentally well.

D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
Oh okay. So, ppl like you & I are the exception. I suppose even 'happy' people aren't that happy. They just have better coping skills.
If George Orwell said life is mostly suffering- despite the fun to be had- it is likely to be true for many people.

Reactions: MrBlue and Sensei
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Oh okay. So, ppl like you & I are the exception. I suppose even 'happy' people aren't that happy. They just have better coping skills.
If George Orwell said life is mostly suffering- despite the fun to be had- it is likely to be true for many people.
Life is rather entirely suffering with some distractions that can be used.

D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
Oh okay, nice to chat.

Reactions: waived
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
The problem with social media is that it encourages it. It makes stupid people think that they are the star of their show. That they matter. Everyone is a mini celebrity and its a fight to see who is the best. It doesnt reflect reality but it is brilliant at helping people almost create a new one. Ive bought into it loads of times and still have to remind myself its not real.
There was a pretty powerful video i watched that showed somebodies real life gradually falling apart and matched it up with their fb activity, the contrast was incredible.

Reactions: Disappointered
W’ren

W’ren

Worthless
Oct 28, 2020
Nope.
I think they are presenting the illusion of a half truth of their lives.
Some things when told half way are happy- but when the whole story is known you realize how much of a trick it all was-
Maybe
for attention,
out of necessity- like those in abusive relationships make everyone else think they are happy and fine...
to try and fit in... cuz no one popular has problems, right?
Many other reasons...
But no, i think they are not showing the full story because social media is full of half way truths....

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I dont think anyone is truly happy, everyone has problems. Even billioners, beautiful people, athletes....

Reactions: StringPuppet and GoneGoneGone
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
Some will be but some definitely won't be.
Social media is a perfect outlet for the vain and the delusional. So it can be hard to tell who is really being genuine about almost anything including happiness.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
As a social animal, it's an identified human need to have our success and joys validated and celebrated by others. This is why people make birth announcements and others celebrate. This is why when we have an amazing experience and we're alone, we wish we had someone to share it with.

It's not always people bragging or putting up a front for "the neighbors" and other social circles, though it can be. Sometimes it's a matter of sharing the good, just as we share and get support when we've experienced a loss, such as having a funeral, which is not about the dead but support of the living and reaffirming social cohesion.

Reactions like thinking someone is bragging and hating on them for it is why some cultures ward off the evil eye and don't dare do things like compliment someone's beautiful or happy baby. Even as we need to share our joys and successes, there will always be someone in the background bitterly sneering, "Well don't you think you're just greeeeeeat," or even worse, seek to destroy that happiness, like throw acid on the attractive baby because they have an ugly baby or themselves were one and suffered for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silvermorning and Lastsauce
PNKPNDA

PNKPNDA

Mar 8, 2020
I think for a lot of people they want to appear happy or that they have their lives all cushty but really people who post anything and everything cannot be that happy.
seeing so many people just on their phones filming Or whatever just to show other people is very sad don't get me wrong I be posting selfie's and stuff to the gram but for some people I think their reality is blurred and it's very sad indeed

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I think it highly depends on the person.

Social media definitely functions as an ego booster and that's why people portray themselves in the most favorable way (happy and successful) to get the praised by others.

But I came across a few genuinely happy and carefree people (who weren't successful or anything and only used social media as a hobby). They were pretty close all the things they showed on there. While others just act and pretend to be something they're not.

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
They're happy or privileged enough to have things to post about so that's more than I can say for myself. Make no mistake, there are plenty of them who think rather highly of themselves and believe the world enjoys knowing their every dim witted thought and seeing pictures of their favorite breakfast cereal. The selfies and photo shoots reek of narcissism. But I am sure there are a few innocuous people just trying to keep up with the times..the thing is we don't often see evidence of their existence because people only pay attention to the obnoxious or physically attractive ones. Such is true to life outside social media as well. Sad world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Journeytoletgo
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Often times people will only post about the happy events in their life, or upload photos that look "positive", so it can give the illusion that the said individual has a perfect and happy life. In reality, though, their lives are likely filled with a certain ratio of happiness and sadness like everyone else. There are exceptions however.

It is similar to what mass media/news outlets do - they cherry pick facts and information as they see fit in order to build a skewed picture about a given story.

VivaldiBR

VivaldiBR

Experienced
Oct 4, 2020
People only post their best and happiest moments on social media. Nobody posts negative things or difficult times. The person may not have depression, but certainly her or his life is not perfect as she or he demonstrates on social networks.

And it gives us the feeling that the person's life is perfect and that he or she is absolutely happy and fully realized.

Everyone suffers and has problems. The way we deal with suffering is what distinguishes us.

Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Reactions: Sensei