N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am not well connected to many college kids (but I am one of them). I am part of a college self-help group and had some friends at college. Most of them were indeed very leftwing. Most of them seem to be tolerant maybe in some instances hypocritical but they try to be good, honest people with high morals and principles which comes with its own caveats (is this the right term?) and contradictions. Most of them try to see the root of a behavior and try not to judge people by their surface. Most of them are very progressive when it comes to climate change, gender, societal issues. But there are also a lot of in-fights. Especially here in Germany on Israel.

I have the feeling some of them are indeed hypersensitive and I try that I don't let them influence me on that. Many of them like to be over-intellectual (me too) and overestimate their own intelligence and knowledge. (guilty by default)

I am not sure whether lazy is the right term. Personally, I cannot stomach stress at all and college is pure torture. But I have the feeling many are lazy. But life is also pretty hard these days. I am not sure.

In some aspects the stereotypes are true, some are wrong and it cannot be applied to the single case of an individual.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Maybe but then, what's 'normal'? What's so great about being 'normal'? Isn't it better to express how we feel rather than just not question or, try to comply the whole time?

I find myself getting tied up in knots when I start to think about all the difficulties in the world. Are some people over sensitive? Is it good to pander to the extent we do to things? I don't know. Obviously, if something is openly phobic or derives from inequality- it should be challenged- surely? That's how we go about changing deeper inequalities. But, how do you please everyone? You can't. All that just makes me want out of this mess even more!

• Love
Reactions: sserafim and Cherry Crumpet
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Yes, unfortunately. (For the majority or at least the most vocal ones).

Reactions: Myforevercharlie
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Proud Normie
Sep 19, 2023
One thing I notice is that while college kids have always been "left," when I was in school I was friends with a bunch of hippie/hipster types (because they're fun and nice!) but they were way more in that libertarian/anti-establishment type of liberalism, like they hated pharma companies and intelligence agencies, but they wanted social safety nets and legal gay marriage. (Like, they would have hated COVID restrictions, as it was "the man" telling them what to do.) Everyone could raise a glass and say both parties sucked. My impression now is that the college kids are more just straight-line democrat in the US. Although, again, that's just the impression I get, I'm not around them all the time, although I do visit an alma matter reasonably frequently.

UnluckyBastard

UnluckyBastard

Jun 26, 2024
There's tons of videos on YouTube recording this phenomenon.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: GuessWhosBack and sugarb
astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
one thing i loved about university before i dropped out was it was a breeding ground for tankies šŸ«”

sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
I am not well connected to many college kids (but I am one of them). I am part of a college self-help group and had some friends at college. Most of them were indeed very leftwing. Most of them seem to be tolerant maybe in some instances hypocritical but they try to be good, honest people with high morals and principles which comes with its own caveats (is this the right term?) and contradictions. Most of them try to see the root of a behavior and try not to judge people by their surface. Most of them are very progressive when it comes to climate change, gender, societal issues. But there are also a lot of in-fights. Especially here in Germany on Israel.

I have the feeling some of them are indeed hypersensitive and I try that I don't let them influence me on that. Many of them like to be over-intellectual (me too) and overestimate their own intelligence and knowledge. (guilty by default)

I am not sure whether lazy is the right term. Personally, I cannot stomach stress at all and college is pure torture. But I have the feeling many are lazy. But life is also pretty hard these days. I am not sure.

In some aspects the stereotypes are true, some are wrong and it cannot be applied to the single case of an individual.
Somewhat. Most people who're voting red go to trades so it's already a bit skewed :p

Chili

Chili

Sep 27, 2023
Id say most colleges are liberal institutions, but it depends on the area. If you go to a college more south, you're bound to draw different political ideologies. Same thing with programs. If you join a program with predominantly leftist views, such as art, for example, you're bound to see more leftwing ideology. You'll still find different ideas in those programs and areas, but the majority will be outspoken. There's nothing wrong with being leftist and rightwing, as long as you don't actively antagonize the other group but most of these college students are straight out of highschool and may not be mature with political conversations. Well, not saying all adults are LMFAO but still.