• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Squidward

Squidward

This is as brave as I know how to be...
Apr 18, 2018
I've never had a visual imagination so I've become used to the blackness behind my eyelids, but I'm under the impression those that can often end up losing/gaining the ability through depression and drugs and such.
So I thought this might be a decent place to ask you all about your relationship with your imagination, be it visual, auditory or otherwise.

And do you think dreams are connected to it? This question stems from all the accounts I hear of people struggling with their dreams, do you remember them as if they happened? Can you recall an image from a dream after waking up?

I've essentially managed to kill my dreams off. I know they still happen to some extent, cuz I sometimes mix up the memories (as in I recall doing something that I didn't do) or wake up feeling the emotions of experiencing them. I'm not immune to nightmares and waking up terrified or anything, I'm just disconnected from the actual content in them. Overall the dream thing isn't a complaint, fuck dreams, I'm just curious if anyone relates.

Idk I'm getting rambley, so I'll shut up and open the discussion.

Dead Girl Don't Care

Dead Girl Don't Care

Trying but still Dying
Mar 26, 2018
Oh man, I wish I dreamt more. I feel like I don't dream as frequently--I used to dream a lot a few years ago--and I miss it. I spend a lot of time sleeping, and it would be more enjoyable if I dreamt more. Also lucid dreaming would be so awesome and I know I would just dream my life away if I could lucid dream. As it stands it is just killing time unconscious. And like you the dreams I have are far-off and disconnected.

That said, I've always thought I had an active imagination, though to be honest, most of it is used imagining my death and deterioration anymore.

I've never done any psychedelic drugs--maybe I should eat a pound of nutmeg--so I can't really say that's heightened my imagination or sense, but I do feel like the alcohol and drug abuse from my past has hindered it more than anything. I don't have the desire or patience anymore to consciously dream or create. And maybe that is connected to crap-quality sleeping dreams too, I know depression must be.

thatguyakira123

thatguyakira123

Experienced
Apr 10, 2018
I can imagine just as I did when I was a kid. I have depression, anxiety and do some drugs but it never effected my imagination. I mostly put on music and imagine myself in aother life, be it a hero or impressing someone I love or just an alternate person altogether. My dreams are a hit ad miss. I sometimes get nightmares but becuase I love marcabe and creeper stuff I enjoy them rather than be scared of them. My regular dreams are mostly controlled by my depression, anxiety and desires. I remember most, but there was this one important one that I wanted to remeber and forgot. These days it's harder for me to dream as my body just refuses to sleep.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Squidward

Squidward

This is as brave as I know how to be...
Apr 18, 2018
Oh man, I wish I dreamt more. I feel like I don't dream as frequently--I used to dream a lot a few years ago--and I miss it. I spend a lot of time sleeping, and it would be more enjoyable if I dreamt more. Also lucid dreaming would be so awesome and I know I would just dream my life away if I could lucid dream. As it stands it is just killing time unconscious. And like you the dreams I have are far-off and disconnected.

That said, I've always thought I had an active imagination, though to be honest, most of it is used imagining my death and deterioration anymore.

I've never done any psychedelic drugs--maybe I should eat a pound of nutmeg--so I can't really say that's heightened my imagination or sense, but I do feel like the alcohol and drug abuse from my past has hindered it more than anything. I don't have the desire or patience anymore to consciously dream or create. And maybe that is connected to crap-quality sleeping dreams too, I know depression must be.

I hardly miss my dreams at all. I've seen guides for making lucid dreams more common and controllable. First step is building a connection to them, making an effort to remember or write down a dream as soon as you wake up is supposed to help. Then for the actual lucid part, you incorporate a "reality test" into your habits/routines such as attempting to poke your finger through your other hand.

I've always read those things with the intention of doing the opposite of everything, cuz fuck dreams. I spend enough time in my head while awake.

I also didn't even think to mention hallucinogens. I've tried shrooms once in my life. All I remember was the sky having neon green grid lines across it, before blacking out.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals