A

akana

Student
Mar 21, 2022
A comedy film discussing suicide / mental health, looks interesting but I need to find a torrent

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LastFlowers and Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Yes! I watched it a few days ago. I started a thread and linked it but no replies. Thought people here would be all over it. Send me a pm if you want a link. I found it rasily on a streaming site. You want a decent pop up and ad blocker for that though. I'm certain it'll be on the usual torrent sites too.
It's a good film btw. Starts out with some scenes that could be taken from posts on this forum.

• Love
Reactions: akana and LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I was looking forward to it and watched it (my broke ass couldn't find a way to pirate it, so I ended up having to pay to rent lol) but it was somewhat disappointing.
Not bad or anything, many parts I liked.
But the film pulled way too many punches by the end, it didn't go all the way.
And this subject matter is in desperate need of "no holds barred" treatment.
Even in the beginning where a certain character has an outburst at a medical professional, he pulls back his own punch when he should not have apologized.
So I guess I should have known at the start.
There was also a line of dialogue or two that were disparaging and strangely dismissive of certain reasonings for others committing suicide (besides the main characters) that I didn't appreciate.

To add -SPOILER- it ended on a rather pro-life/pro-natalist (I'm the opposite) note that also left a bad taste in my mouth.
Yes! I watched it a few days ago. I started a thread and linked it but no replies. Thought people here would be all over it. Send me a pm if you want a link. I found it rasily on a streaming site. You want a decent pop up and ad blocker for that though. I'm certain it'll be on the usual torrent sites too.
It's a good film btw. Starts out with some scenes that could be taken from posts on this forum.
Sorry I missed that, I would have definitely responded to it!

Reactions: akana
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I mean they had to fit a mould to a certain extent else the film wouldn't get funded because an audience is needed. I think they struck a pretty bold step towards crossing the PC line. It all had enough familiarity for me. There essentially two endings as there are two main protagonists and if you follow each of their timelines you find reasons behind why each of them had varied inclinations to ctb and amongst it a story of unconditional, fully accepting friendship.

Could it have gone full Thelma and Louise? Yep. But that's been done already. But more importantly I think they essentially had to cow to two audiences. I thought it was fair trade off and i picked up nods to it in the dialogue. I feel like it's a potential door opener of a film though for that it needs critical aclaim and a substantial audience. I guess by paying foe rental you did your part there lol. I have to admit I did not. Maybe if I payed for it I might be more critical. I don't know.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I mean they had to fit a mould to a certain extent else the film wouldn't get funded because an audience is needed. I think they struck a pretty bold step towards crossing the PC line. It all had enough familiarity for me. There essentially two endings as there are two main protagonists and if you follow each of their timelines you find reasons behind why each of them had varied inclinations to ctb and amongst it a story of unconditional, fully accepting friendship.

Could it have gone full Thelma and Louise? Yep. But that's been done already. But more importantly I think they essentially had to cow to two audiences. I thought it was fair trade off and i picked up nods to it in the dialogue. I feel like it's a potential door opener of a film though for that it needs critical aclaim and a substantial audience. I guess by paying foe rental you did your part there lol. I have to admit I did not. Maybe if I payed for it I might be more critical. I don't know.
Yea, that much may be true, though I still think we need far more films about this subject matter that do go full "Thelma and Louise" as you put it lol.
(It's not like the other character even needed to follow through on it, but I wish they went about it in a different way. It was too cliché, hamfisted and a little graceless when suddenly fitting that other part of his story into the narrative. Which I mean, I guess you could sort of say for the other main character too if I'm being honest, as far as motivations.)
If someone had the right connections and the money already in hand, they could certainly get away with creating such a piece of work that would have no need to pander to the other side/majority. They could be somewhat deceptive while selling it.
Although, the audience's response may still end up being a problem..however, there are far more controversial films which leave pretty much everyone who saw it wishing they hadn't and leaving the theater in outrage..
I think as long as the film is a good film from a critic's perspective, pleasing the general audience with the subject matter/themes/conclusions wouldn't be a necessity.
I have definitely seen some incredibly well-made films which I vehemently disagreed with as far as "the message", even independent/low budget movies.

I think even that scene that I mentioned where the first punch was pulled could have maybe portrayed an explanation like the fact that people have to restrain and restrict themselves from freely airing their grievances while in a mental hospital, or they will never get out..but it didn't seem to actually be indicative of that reasoning. (Only someone who has been in one of those places would realize that possibility.)

It was a nice step in the right direction and not a bad film by any means but I'm someone who has critique even for my favorite films..so I may sound more severe in my assessment than others.
I agree about the friendship factor, that part was done pretty well.

I still have that fish scene and the little jingle stuck in my head haha, that was something else.

*Oh and the rental wasn't expensive or anything so I don't think it affected my outlook, but you could have a point in it affecting others'.

Last edited: