memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
I'm curious, because I've read a case where a woman encouraged her bf to ctb and was subsequently convicted.

Now this was his girlfriend, but that goes to even more of a point..is there a loophole in the future?

I think this is where the law is trending toward.

I know there is also another trend in the U.S. where parents are being held accountable for their kids (gun safety laws) in horrific school shootings and also wind up behind bars.

(You can argue for or against in either case but the point still remains the same)

So death by proxy and quite literally.

Nobody here wants anyone to die but at the same time nobody here wants anyone to screw it up from repercussions.

When I signed up, I explained I would destroy my laptop and phone (off to landfill they go) and then wait a week. And in no way, would I ever leave my computer still running or history to be shown.

Edit: I am a selfish person: I would also hate for people getting into possible trouble because of my suicide.

Last edited:
Reactions: disjectamembra and alienfreak
Reflection

Reflection

Lost
Sep 12, 2024
I personally wouldn't help anyone CTB not just because of fear of going to jail but because it would literally kill me inside as well and keep eating away at me.

I think what you referred to As 'death by proxy' is a huge grey area and sometimes a lot of hypocrisy gets involved in it, because it all depends on the person and situation, for example I already am suicidal but I guarantee everyone that I wouldn't do it even if 100 assholes were encouraging me to do so, only I know what would trigger me to actually say to myself that it's over.

So if I were to commit suicide then I personally think it would be completely unjust to hold those 100 people accountable for anything, even though their actions are very cruel and evil.

In my case I know what's causing me that pain is my ex girlfriend leaving me, yet in such situation you'd never find anyone saying that she "would need to be held accountable" for it, and instead what will be said is:" it's no one's fault, it was my choice because I probably had other issues or couldn't fight my inner demons". Or whatever...

People will basically blame whoever appeared to them directly contributed to a person's death, not what or who necessarily was the actual fuel for it.

• Hugs
Reactions: AllTheseQuestions
memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
I personally wouldn't help anyone CTB not just because of fear of going to jail but because it would literally kill me inside as well and keep eating away at me.

I think what you referred to As 'death by proxy' is a huge grey area and sometimes a lot of hypocrisy gets involved in it, because it all depends on the person and situation, for example I already am suicidal but I guarantee everyone that I wouldn't do it even if 100 assholes were encouraging me to do so, only I know what would trigger me to actually say to myself that it's over.

So if I were to commit suicide then I personally think it would be completely unjust to hold those 100 people accountable for anything, even though their actions are very cruel and evil.

In my case I know what's causing me that pain is my ex girlfriend leaving me, yet in such situation you'd never find anyone saying that she "would need to be held accountable" for it, and instead what will be said is:" it's no one's fault, it was my choice because I probably had other issues or couldn't fight my inner demons". Or whatever...

People will basically blame whoever appeared to them directly contributed to a person's death, not what or who necessarily was the actual fuel for it.

But it wouldn't take 100 people.

All it takes is one successful case with one person in the court system before it gets pointed into evidence by another court.

Then it would blatantly be spiraled out of control.

I know I've responded to you in a different thread a few times as we're online during the same hours. But I am sorry for your pain.

Reflection

Reflection

Lost
Sep 12, 2024
But it wouldn't take 100 people.

All it takes is one successful case with one person in the court system before it gets pointed into evidence by another court.

Then it would blatantly be spiraled out of control.
Yes I was just exaggerating to say that no matter how much that "encouragement" was, it still wouldn't be the actual blame...but the law doesn't care about that.

I know I've responded to you in a different thread a few times as we're online during the same hours. But I am sorry for your pain.
Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it.

Reactions: memoriesofyesterday
Silent_cries

Silent_cries

I wish I could delete my trauma...
Aug 10, 2021
Nah, I couldn't care less about the legal stuff. I doubth the authority are going to use much resources on tracking random people on a forum anyway, and even if I were to get in trouble, I'd rather go to jail than force people to live against their will. I'm always going to support people's choice no matter what.

memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
Nah, I couldn't care less about the legal stuff. I doubth the authority are going to use much resources on tracking random people on a forum anyway, and even if I were to get in trouble, I'd rather go to jail than force people to live against their will. I'm always going to support people's choice no matter what.
All good until a 12 yo girl decides to off herself because she broke up with her 14 bf and her parents hate her.

Guess what happens next?

Let's not even go into a criminal case. Let's just go down the rabbit hole of a civil case.

Edit: Anyway, thank you for the response.

Reactions: cowboypants
Silent_cries

Silent_cries

Aug 10, 2021
All good until a 12 yo girl decides to off herself because she broke up with her 14 bf and her parents hate her.

Guess what happens next?

Let's not even go into a criminal case. Let's just go down the rabbit hole of a civil case.

Edit: Anyway, thank you for the response.
Still don't care. Technically the environment around her is to blame then, not me. I agree that it's unfortunate when kids ends up on this site, but in the end that's on society for pushing them far down enough to where they'd seek this kind of stuff. I don't think kids would voluntarily participate in suicide groups if they didn't have a reason to.

Reactions: Sarros, ebg, Kitsunekia90 and 2 others
memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
Still don't care. Technically the environment around her is to blame then, not me. I agree that it's unfortunate when kids ends up on this site, but in the end that's on society for pushing them far down enough to where they'd seek this kind of stuff. I don't think kids would voluntarily participate in suicide groups if they didn't have a reason to.
I agree.

But I think a court would disagree as they wouldn't be inclined to "technically", "feelings" and "thoughts" and just look at the facts.

Doctors and such would be called on the stand and other individuals. It's a no-win.

But I do agree with you. I think most of us do anyway.

willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
The legal implications but mostly the moral and emotional implications are why I don't give advice on successful methods and why I don't engage with goodbye threads. I do worry about getting caught up in a legal situation where I am blamed for someone's death, but I also feel just wrong doing that stuff. I'll tell people when a method won't work because I don't want people to end up alive but hurt and in a worse off situation, but I don't give any word on a method with a high chance of success. And goodbye threads are too difficult to look at, much less engage with.

Reactions: ladylazarus4
EmptyEater

EmptyEater

Sep 26, 2024
The forum philosophy is supposedly pro choice and frowns upon encouraging people to ctb, so no.
I also don't intend to ever help with methods.

Last edited:
Reactions: ladylazarus4 and cowboypants
astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
i won't tell someone "oh you should do xyz to ctb, your life isn't worth living"

but i will validate their feelings and desire to ctb. i won't tell anyone they're not allowed to want to ctb. not sure how i feel about offering advice.

Reactions: memoriesofyesterday
Silent_cries

Silent_cries

Aug 10, 2021
I agree.

But I think a court would disagree as they wouldn't be inclined to "technically", "feelings" and "thoughts" and just look at the facts.

Doctors and such would be called on the stand and other individuals. It's a no-win.

But I do agree with you. I think most of us do anyway.
I know, I'm just personally choosing to not put effort into worriyng about it. I do see why some people do though, by any means. I think you are safe as long as you don't openly give advice on methods though. I don't do it very often myself tbh.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
If you're talking about that Michelle chick, she really, really pushed suicide on him. When he hesitated she told him to get back in the truck. Even then many legal professionals were surprised by the verdict.

There have been numerous completed suicides connected to this site hence all the publicity and campaigning and I don't believe there have been any prosecutions or civil action just for participating in the forum as per the rules set forth.

Last edited:
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
I don't think the authorities would land you in jail for participating in this forum. Unless you really, really pushed someone to kill oneself.