eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
My ideal weekend is just laying on the couch with a movie or music turned on in the background while I daydream for hours at a time. Even if I won the lottery I would keep doing this. Maybe in a nicer house on a nicer couch.

I don't like going anywhere or doing anything. People make me feel like a real piece of shit when they find out I like doing nothing. That's why I stopped talking to people.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, sadghost, Meditation guide and 15 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Not to be pedantic, but watching a movie or listening to music can hardly be classified as doing nothing;
as far as I'm concerned, even daydreaming counts as an intellectual activity.
If I could, I would spend all of my time listening to music (as if I'm not doing so already).
Since I mostly listen to classical music, I often imagine myself being the composer of whatever I'm listening to,
sitting in the packed concert hall during the premiere, taking my bows at the end of the piece (fairly strange,
since I hate being the centre of attention, but in daydreams anything goes).

Reactions: S like suicide, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, burglarlydante and 4 others
ExhaustedExistence

ExhaustedExistence

Life is just waiting for death
Mar 26, 2021
I prefer sleeping than "doing nothing", because I don't have to deal with this reality.

• Love
Reactions: S like suicide, sadghost, burglarlydante and 6 others
NothingElseMatters

NothingElseMatters

Warlock
Mar 30, 2020
sounds like my weekend

Reactions: eternalmelancholy
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Yes, doing "nothing" such as wasting my time on the internet, reading manga, playing videogames, etc could be my life until I die.

You know, just being in a room with infinite food, water, internet, gaming pc and electricity! I would gladly be a prisoner! lol

• Yay!
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, sadghost, burglarlydante and 4 others
NothingElseMatters

NothingElseMatters

Warlock
Mar 30, 2020
the world has nothing to offer but pain

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: eternalmelancholy, the_final_countdown, newave3 and 4 others
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
I've spent a great deal of time doing nothing. I think that I want to do something, which I enjoy. But what is that thing? I've no idea. Vaguely, I want to be a part of something important, an active participant in life with other people, being happy, somehow. But how to realise that? It's not straightforward. My prevailing feeling is that achieving dreams like this is too much hassle, probably requires an ugly struggle, and I think I'll become disappointed somewhere along the way, so better to just stop this silly game.

There does seem to be a stigma around being too sedentary ("laziness"), as if people are duty-bound to be productive. I don't like that sentiment. People simply do what they feel like doing at any moment. Most of the time I feel like 'doing nothing', but I don't even want to feel that way, I'd rather feel motivated to do stuff. But I simply don't most of the time. Why is that? Is that my fault? How can I change that in a way that doesn't make me suffer? All questions that no one can really answer for me satisfyingly.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, demuic, newave3 and 1 other person
PaxAmerica

PaxAmerica

Just Passing
Apr 15, 2021
My ideal weekend is just laying on the couch with a movie or music turned on in the background while I daydream for hours at a time. Even if I won the lottery I would keep doing this. Maybe in a nicer house on a nicer couch.

I don't like going anywhere or doing anything. People make me feel like a real piece of shit when they find out I like doing nothing. That's why I stopped talking to people.
Wow. For a moment I read your post and thought it must be one of mine. This is my life exactly these days. These years. People are useless for the most part. Why bother. I stay in bed and have youtube videos on autoplay. I play online chess. Or I play with my rabbits. Thats my life. I dont even look at the opposite sex any more cos its a waste of time. People are just fake. Its the truth. We pretend to be what we are not. I beleive those facade. We turn on people for our own advantage. I hate people and life. Leave me in my bed with my laptop.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, newave3 and Roadkill
StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
Yep. I hate being around people so there's not much else worth doing.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Pisceslilith, Roadkill and 1 other person
PaxAmerica

PaxAmerica

Just Passing
Apr 15, 2021
I can stomach people in small portions. But being alone is so much better. You realise all the anxiety and stress in life is from being around people. If I had to live my live again I would simply study people better and only hang out with the 1% of genuine, selfless people. Screww the other 99%.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, newave3, Pisceslilith and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Yes, I like doing very little. I always look forward to sleeping and I like to isolate myself from the world. People do place too much emphasis on constantly being productive, when in reality it all leads nowhere as every activity is pointless, it is just a way to pass time until we reach our inevitable fate (death)

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, RedHarlequin, newave3 and 2 others
LenkaX

LenkaX

Maybe there is a hope!
Aug 14, 2020
It's called LDAR. I do nothing but this the last few years.
I prefer sleeping than "doing nothing", because I don't have to deal with this reality.
Me too, I sleep as much as possible, waking up even at 14:00. I hope that after my ctb, I will just sleep forever or something similar.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: RedHarlequin, newave3 and PaxAmerica
inthemoonblue

inthemoonblue

Nov 26, 2020
Yup OP, you just described my ideal day.

• Love
Reactions: eternalmelancholy and newave3
PressEnterToExit

PressEnterToExit

How soon is now?
Oct 19, 2020
I've spent a great deal of time doing nothing. I think that I want to do something, which I enjoy. But what is that thing? I've no idea. Vaguely, I want to be a part of something important, an active participant in life with other people, being happy, somehow. But how to realise that? It's not straightforward. My prevailing feeling is that achieving dreams like this is too much hassle, probably requires an ugly struggle, and I think I'll become disappointed somewhere along the way, so better to just stop this silly game.

There does seem to be a stigma around being too sedentary ("laziness"), as if people are duty-bound to be productive. I don't like that sentiment. People simply do what they feel like doing at any moment. Most of the time I feel like 'doing nothing', but I don't even want to feel that way, I'd rather feel motivated to do stuff. But I simply don't most of the time. Why is that? Is that my fault? How can I change that in a way that doesn't make me suffer? All questions that no one can really answer for me satisfyingly.
Maybe you feel the need of having an important goal as a requirement to change your actitude. Why don't you consider present time and what could make you really happy now?

TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
People do place too much emphasis on constantly being productive
Things are produced in order to be used or consumed. If everybody spent every waking hour producing, who would consume? It would render the entire process pointless. It is important that people take their time to be "unproductive" (whatever that means) and legitimise the product's existence by using it.

Reactions: newave3 and PaxAmerica
PaxAmerica

PaxAmerica

Just Passing
Apr 15, 2021
Things are produced in order to be used or consumed. If everybody spent every waking hour producing, who would consume? It would render the entire process pointless. It is important that people take their time to be "unproductive" (whatever that means) and legitimise the product's existence by using it.
In capitalist society the emphasis on productivity is skewed to the point that it overides the reason to live.

Reactions: BluesRunTheGame and newave3
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
Doing nothing is the only thing I'm good at.

Reactions: S like suicide, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, BluesRunTheGame and 2 others
Moose.000

Moose.000

"Everything is meaningless" ~King Solomon
Apr 10, 2021
I do prefer isolation, watching movies and listening to music or being around friends who understand my personality and silence as opposed to being outside in a society that considers anyone a "weirdo" that doesn't function and socialize to their standards.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and newave3
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
In capitalist society the emphasis on productivity is skewed to the point that it overides the reason to live.
While I don't condone Kaczynski's violent actions, I do believe that he was right in many respects. However, I am not so radical as to claim that industrialisation itself is the source of most of our problems, but rather the technological "hyper-industrialisation" of the last 70 years or so.
My point is that capitalism itself is not the problem, but rather its coupling with globalisation and the technological escalation mentioned above.
Doing nothing is the only thing I'm good at.
I'd vastly prefer this over the other extreme, which is being a workaholic. It is far more valuable to be able to rest than to maintain a frantic work pace because it is the only thing you are good at or because you need to distract yourself from pain/existential dread/etc.
Few workaholics are obsessed with their work because they actually enjoy it; many of them need it to fill the void in their lives or to distract themselves. Otherwise they wouldn't be workaholics, but enjoy a healthy work-life balance.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: newave3
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Capitalism itself has never been the problem, just its core characteristics :))
There is a famous Churchill quote:
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
It could easily be modified to fit our discussion.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
There is a famous Churchill quote:
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
"You're fucked if you do, fucked if you don't."

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and newave3
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
How'd I not find this thread sooner considering I feel the exact same way. My body just doesn't want to do anything if it has any sort of significance anymore.

• Love
Reactions: newave3, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, eternalmelancholy and 1 other person
RedHarlequin

RedHarlequin

Mage
Jul 8, 2018
I don't really like doing it, there is just nothing else I have the energy for. If I could choose I'd much rather go out with my partner, go to the gym, make friends etc. :(

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: newave3 and Dr Iron Arc
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I love doing nothing. I can live happily that way. Years of meditation is technically doing nothing.

I like other things too however. I love the gym and yoga classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: newave3 and eternalmelancholy
PaxAmerica

PaxAmerica

Just Passing
Apr 15, 2021
While I don't condone Kaczynski's violent actions, I do believe that he was right in many respects. However, I am not so radical as to claim that industrialisation itself is the source of most of our problems, but rather the technological "hyper-industrialisation" of the last 70 years or so.
My point is that capitalism itself is not the problem, but rather its coupling with globalisation and the technological escalation mentioned above.

I'd vastly prefer this over the other extreme, which is being a workaholic. It is far more valuable to be able to rest than to maintain a frantic work pace because it is the only thing you are good at or because you need to distract yourself from pain/existential dread/etc.
Few workaholics are obsessed with their work because they actually enjoy it; many of them need it to fill the void in their lives or to distract themselves. Otherwise they wouldn't be workaholics, but enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Oh I dont think capitalism is the bogeyman either. It has many good points. Its how its taken to extremes to eak out productivity at the expense of the joys of life. We work like dogs to earn a living to pay the bills mostly and miss the real joys of life. Just being, unstressed, without anxiety.

• Love
Reactions: newave3 and eternalmelancholy
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
How'd I not find this thread sooner considering I feel the exact same way. My body just doesn't want to do anything if it has any sort of significance anymore.

Yep. I am pro at relaxing and not much else. Welcome to the club.

I love doing nothing. I can live happily that way. Years of meditation is technically doing nothing.

I like other things too however. I love the gym and yoga classes.

I like making and drinking coffee. That is the only thing I can think of that I enjoy.

• Love
Reactions: Meditation guide, PaxAmerica, newave3 and 1 other person