• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

grungeCat

grungeCat

Awkward & weird
Jul 5, 2020
I would definitely call myself a computer nerd. Even though I didn't grow up with old computers I still feel some kind of nostalgia when I see old DOS machines or 8/16-bit consoles. I enjoy using PCem, old VGA font everywhere and playing old games. I am also very keen on programming. I connected this two thinges and I even created an emulator. It's an SUPERCHIP-8 emulator. It's not very hard to write but every tutorial mentions that it is the first step into the world of developing emulators. Currently I'm working on NES emulator when I am feeling better. In the future I would love to write Nokia N Gage emulator - however nobody has done it before.

shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
Wow, pretty nice. I wish I could program like that. Although I am interested in it, I was never very good at it :ahhha:
Sadly, I never developed a nostalgia for old games and hardware because I only came to enjoy the PC-universe when I was already an adult. So, I don't share this fascination with the "good old" unfortunately.

I wish you good luck with your project. Hopefully, there will be enough good days to do it.:hug:

BTW, I'm currently doing my 7th run of the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt now that Cyberpunk is on the doorstep.

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
i am definitely a nerd. was since the dos and amiga area deep into computers. played also a lot around with dos-box and amiga emulator stuff replaying old classic games.
always pretty much up to date about computer hardware. at least since a few years ago. now i am following it not so much anymore but have an eye on cpu, gpu and ssd development.

mostly turn-based strategy and basebuilder games like banished, rimworld or factorio. in earlier days also occasionally into shooters like quake 3 and a bit tactical ops.
lately i also did spend some time with clicker/incremental games. online browser games were also some fun in the earlier stages but since most of them become more of a shopping center and it's often only about pay to win i lost interest.

shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
Sorry for asking if that question is stupid: But what are clicker/incremental games? Never heard of it.

Reactions: DocNo
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
Sorry for asking if that question is stupid: But what are clicker/incremental games? Never heard of it.

one of the most famous one is cookie clicker or another one which is well known is paperclips.
cookie clicker takes some time - paperclips you can play through in 2 hours with the right strategy.

here is a list of a lot of games of that type.

there are interesting concepts and also a lot of unfinished stuff and often from a single programmer cause it's less about graphics and more about concept.
partly they are also called idle games cause some of them you can just let run in the background and make just a few interactions a day cause it's often about automation.
it's this think more, click less approach what i like about it.

and if watching the download bar or numbers increase is a turn on than it's definitely something for you ^^

DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
Anyone? Or am I the only "nerd" here? :ahhha:
Just curious. And maybe it would lead to a discussion...who knows

I remember building my own PC 2 years ago. Mind you this was during the bitcoin explosion, so GPU and RAM prices were hella expensive. Regardless, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed putting the parts together. Might need to upgrade my motherboard soon b/c AMD is churning out new chips like crazy + I want to OC my RAM to 3200+ MHz, which my current mobo doesn't support lol.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I love videogames and my gaming pc can still "battle" the new upcoming games with a decent graphics quality lol.
Actually, videogames are one of the things which are keeping me alive. Although I haven't been playing that much these days because of japanese. Yeah, I'm learning lots and it's time-consuming.

shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
one of the most famous one is cookie clicker or another one which is well known is paperclips.
cookie clicker takes some time - paperclips you can play through in 2 hours with the right strategy.

here is a list of a lot of games of that type.

there are interesting concepts and also a lot of unfinished stuff and often from a single programmer cause it's less about graphics and more about concept.
partly they are also called idle games cause some of them you can just let run in the background and make just a few interactions a day cause it's often about automation.
it's this think more, click less approach what i like about it.

and if watching the download bar or numbers increase is a turn on than it's definitely something for you ^^

I think I get it now. Also why it can be interesting to play and create as a programmer. But in the end, I think it's not so much for my personal taste in games.

I remember building my own PC 2 years ago. Mind you this was during the bitcoin explosion, so GPU and RAM prices were hella expensive. Regardless, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed putting the parts together. Might need to upgrade my motherboard soon b/c AMD is churning out new chips like crazy + I want to OC my RAM to 3200+ MHz, which my current mobo doesn't support lol.

Funny coincidences there. I also did my current build around the bitcoin explosion. I paid 1500 bucks for my GPU. But I wanted it really bad, lol. I'm not on the AMD platform but I think I got the same problem as you.
I didn't think too much when I ordered my RAM. It's capable of 3200MHz as well, but my system gets unstable if I try to run it at that speed. So I content myself with "mere" 3000 MHz and manual timings. Maybe, I should have invested in a better Mobo. I can't overclock my CPU either. Just not enough bandwidth available from the board. Don't exactly know why. Perhapy I also got a bad chip (CPU) overclocking-wise. Either I sacrifice on CPU clockspeeds or RAM clockspeeds.
Shame, but that's just how it is with my current build.

I love videogames and my gaming pc can still "battle" the new upcoming games with a decent graphics quality lol.
Actually, videogames are one of the things which are keeping me alive. Although I haven't been playing that much these days because of japanese. Yeah, I'm learning lots and it's time-consuming.

Do I understand correctly: You're learning Japanese? Because that is on my list as well. At least it was. I will probably die before I emigrate to Japan.

S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
PC Master Race Unite!!!

I currently have

CPU: Intel i7-4790k 3.6Ghz
GPU: EVGA FTW 970 4GB
Mem: 16GB DDR3
HD: 4TB total
140+ games on Steam

Work Laptop:
CPU: Intel i7-8750H 2.2GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 4000M
Mem: 32 GB
HD: 1TB
No games :(

Thinking of getting a pre-built from CyberPower PC since they have the Radeon 6800s in stock along with the AMD 5900x CPU. Though AMD driver issues are scary and not as refined as NVIDIA's, I may just end up getting a 3080 whenever they have more available.

DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
PC Master Race Unite!!!

I currently have

CPU: Intel i7-4790k 3.6Ghz
GPU: EVGA FTW 970 4GB
Mem: 16GB DDR3
HD: 4TB total
140+ games on Steam

Work Laptop:
CPU: Intel i7-8750H 2.2GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 4000M
Mem: 32 GB
HD: 1TB
No games :(

Thinking of getting a pre-built from CyberPower PC since they have the Radeon 6800s in stock along with the AMD 5900x CPU. Though AMD driver issues are scary and not as refined as NVIDIA's, I may just end up getting a 3080 whenever they have more available.

If you are primarily interested in gaming go for the 3080 honestly. NVIDIA just has much better driver support for games nowadays than AMD.

shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
Yeah video games are my distraction as well lol. I am looking forward to play CP2077.

Yeah, me too.

I always recommend not getting pre-built systems. It's more fun to do it yourself, anyways.
I'm not updated enough on the topic. Is driver support really that terrible on AMD nowadays?
I would opt for the 3080 as well. Maybe that's just because I have been an Intel + Nvidia kid for years now. haha

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking
shijsrzh

shijsrzh

Deluded Moron
Dec 2, 2020
I don't. Maybe someone else does.

I wonder how these things work. Can you really cool high performance hardware passively these days? I mean, everybody invests in high end water cooling and so on because these components can get freaking hot.

Last edited:
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Yeah, me too.

I always recommend not getting pre-built systems. It's more fun to do it yourself, anyways.
I'm not updated enough on the topic. Is driver support really that terrible on AMD nowadays?
I would opt for the 3080 as well. Maybe that's just because I have been an Intel + Nvidia kid for years now. haha

I've built my last seven computers and while I enjoy building them, I just don't have time anymore to build one plus money isn't really too big of an issue if I go with a prebuilt, as long as they don't use proprietary parts, I can switch out or upgrade easily.

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
i am thinking about a ultrasilent or complete passive cooled workstation/gaming system from https://www.deltatronic.de/en/ or https://www.silentmaxx.de/
has anybody experience with these systems?
My friend bought a pretty similar one, also with passive cooling. It's a nice little thingie, say, for work, but you can't really play games on a computer like that (unless you're like me and only play games that were made 10+ years ago), but I guess it's obvious at least because most of configurations are running on integrated graphics with no GPU at all. It's relatively cheap, small, convenient, doesn't use much electricity and yeah, it doesn't make much sound. Reminds me of my first laptop, RIP, it was my good friend for almost 8 years. But if you're going to run software that loads your CPU more than your average Google Chrome with three tabs open for extended periods of time, you'll probably start experiencing lagging because of CPU thermal throttling.

Reactions: DocNo
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
My friend bought a pretty similar one, also with passive cooling. It's a nice little thingie, say, for work, but you can't really play games on a computer like that (unless you're like me and only play games that were made 10+ years ago), but I guess it's obvious at least because most of configurations are running on integrated graphics with no GPU at all. It's relatively cheap, small, convenient, doesn't use much electricity and yeah, it doesn't make much sound. Reminds me of my first laptop, RIP, it was my good friend for almost 8 years. But if you're going to run software that loads your CPU more than your average Google Chrome with three tabs open for extended periods of time, you'll probably start experiencing lagging because of CPU thermal throttling.

yeah. but these sites also offer workstations and gaming options with massive passive cooling so that you also can work with dedicated gpu units and also high end cpus. at some point when you use high end gpu units like nividia 2080 or higher it seems you need at least a powerunit which has to be actively cooled. but all other stuffs is only passive cooled.

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
at some point when you use high end gpu units like nividia 2080 or higher it seems you need at least a powerunit which has to be actively cooled. but all other stuffs is only passive cooled.
A high-end GPU will need active cooling by itself, they are really damn hot these days. I am extremely skeptical about any high end GPU surviving and handling high workload for extended periods of time with passive cooling. No matter how huge a radiator, it's just convection after all, and nvidia 2080 consumes 250W of power.

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
i am also a bit skeptical about it. that's why i am looking for people who might have experience with it.
do you have experience with water cooled systems and their noise level?

L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
I'm thinking about building a pc. Which feels weird because at the same time I want to die most of the time. But feeling a bit better some days, and I've enjoyed doing the research. Nice to read about the parts and specifications discussed in this thread. I'm taking notes! Never built a pc before, but sounds like a lot of fun tbh.

kappa

kappa

Experienced
Apr 2, 2019
I built my first one last year.

Did a Mini ITX build, online friend begged me not to, and he was right. Even Overwatch got my PC too hot.

I still don't know much about parts... but I do have RBG and it's cool.

Need to install some water cooling, I still have the stock cooler.

It's fun but I wish I knew more- I watch shit on YouTube but it still goes over my head.

I've seen people even build their own mechanical keyboards which is super cool.

I sold my prebuilt, bought a 2k Monitor (with RBG y not) during COVID... but I just use it for YouTube and sometimes Overwatch.

kappa

kappa

Experienced
Apr 2, 2019
I'm thinking about building a pc. Which feels weird because at the same time I want to die most of the time. But feeling a bit better some days, and I've enjoyed doing the research. Nice to read about the parts and specifications discussed in this thread. I'm taking notes! Never built a pc before, but sounds like a lot of fun tbh.
Do you know about pcpartpicker.com?

This really helped me since my case was so small, I found a lot of parts I would pick would be labeled as incompatible since it takes into consideration the dimensions. It really helped me out.

For storage try to use an SSD instead of a regular hard drive. It's more expensive, but faster. I was about to buy a HDD rather than SSD and a gaming buddy let me know that was dinosaur shit.

Gamers Nexus is pretty good on YouTube if you wanted to listen to computer talk.

L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
@kappa I already found pcpartpicker. And also userbenchmark. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely getting an SSD. Did some more research today. My head is spinning! But that's better than being super depressed.