A

adios

May 13, 2020
Hi all,
Yesterday I was officially diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I suspected I had it for a while, pretty much all of the common symptoms described me to a tee. Does anyone here have it, or have any means of coping? I'm not really sure what to do :(

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, Chameleons31, disabledandhopeless and 2 others
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I have it and it sucks

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, Chameleons31, BitterlyAlive and 3 others
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
Yes, my life is garbage.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, disabledandhopeless, Homecoming and 1 other person
A

adios

May 13, 2020
@Squiddy @rt1989526 I'm so sorry. I'm so scared, I'm pretty positive I'm gonna ctb now.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: disabledandhopeless and Homecoming
H

Homecoming

Wizard
Aug 14, 2020
My BPD, abusive, narcissistic mom has it since she got married to my sociopath dad and I can tell you really honest here: IT'S F*CKIN' HORRIBLE AND TRAUMATIC AS HELL!!! :'(

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, puppy9, Chameleons31 and 3 others
MiepMoop

MiepMoop

Aug 22, 2020
I probably do, but I really can't be bothered to get diagnosed because I don't wanna talk about how I feel to people irl. I also don't care about labeling the way I feel unless it helps me feel better.

• Hugs
Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Homecoming and adios
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
*Waves* BPD and Bipolar here. Sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with this. Have they given you any kind of treatment plan?

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, disabledandhopeless and adios
A

adios

May 13, 2020
*Waves* BPD and Bipolar here. Sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with this. Have they given you any kind of treatment plan?
I've been assigned a therapist but I've never had luck with any sort of therapy. Do you have any suggestions for things that might help with the mood swings and anger? I can't take it anymore:(

• Hugs
Reactions: disabledandhopeless
disabledandhopeless

disabledandhopeless

Enlightened
Mar 1, 2020
I probably have it.

• Aww..
Reactions: adios
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I've been assigned a therapist but I've never had luck with any sort of therapy. Do you have any suggestions for things that might help with the mood swings and anger? I can't take it anymore:(
The best thing for BPD is supposed to be DBT. You can look it up online and even try some self help books on the subject. I take meds for mine and they have helped with some things, like made certain emotions softer and easier to handle. It's not an easy thing to have and sadly there is no certain cure, it's just about learning to ride the waves and manage it as best you can.

Reactions: selaore
A

adios

May 13, 2020
The best thing for BPD is supposed to be DBT. You can look it up online and even try some self help books on the subject. I take meds for mine and they have helped with some things, like made certain emotions softer and easier to handle. It's not an easy thing to have and sadly there is no certain cure, it's just about learning to ride the waves and manage it as best you can.
DBT is where I'm headed, I've only done CBT in the past so this might be better. Thanks:) Unfortunately they didn't give me any meds except the antidepressant I've already been on(bupropion) which hasn't done anything:(

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
DBT is where I'm headed, I've only done CBT in the past so this might be better. Thanks:) Unfortunately they didn't give me any meds except the antidepressant I've already been on(bupropion) which hasn't done anything:(
Sometimes you have to try several different meds. I take an antidepressant and an antipsychotic. It's kinda normal to have to do that to find one that works for you. CBT won't do much for BPD. DBT is like the gold star as far as BPD is concerned. Don't give up hope. You can learn to manage your condition and still live a normal life ❤️

• Love
A

adios

May 13, 2020
Sometimes you have to try several different meds. I take an antidepressant and an antipsychotic. It's kinda normal to have to do that to find one that works for you. CBT won't do much for BPD. DBT is like the gold star as far as BPD is concerned. Don't give up hope. You can learn to manage your condition and still live a normal life ❤
Thanks<3

strangeloner

strangeloner

Life's an ugly adventure
Sep 5, 2020
I probably have it too. When I was younger a therapist would say I show signs of being bipolar but it always feel odd to me. When I grew up I found out about BPD and I read stuff about it where it felt like they were talking about me. I never got diagnosed since I hate talking about feelings and trusting others is pretty hard. I rather stay quite. BPD ruined my life and it just made everything so complicated. I lost people and had troubles understanding myself. I would not even want my worst enemy to have it. Yet I believe that if you are diagnosed early and get help and proper support from loved ones around you than it can be possible to live with it somehow.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: tidalwxves, disabledandhopeless and adios
HowSoonIsNow

HowSoonIsNow

" Oh, She was a victim of sweet suicide"
Feb 2, 2020
Yes, it ruined my life. I can't take my obsessions anymore I just want to leave.
That's the main reason of my ctb

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: strangeloner, adios and disabledandhopeless
A

adios

May 13, 2020
Yes, it ruined my life. I can't take my obsessions anymore I just want to leave.
That's the main reason of my ctb
I totally understand that. Recently my obsession over one person practically trumped everything else in life, only for me to ruin every opportunity to continue being their friend. I couldn't take it.

• Aww..
Reactions: Gamja and HowSoonIsNow
HowSoonIsNow

HowSoonIsNow

" Oh, She was a victim of sweet suicide"
Feb 2, 2020
I totally understand that. Recently my obsession over one person practically trumped everything else in life, only for me to ruin every opportunity to continue being their friend. I couldn't take it.
I completely understand you @adios, I'm so sorry

S

SadGuyWannaDie

Aug 27, 2020
Try watching Dr. Daniel Fox's videos https://www.youtube.com/user/lcruz71 on bpd he is a world renowned expert on cluster b personality disorders and he makes it sound like less of a death sentence than other sources if you were just diagnosed. Avoid the stigma surrounding BPD because it gets confused with Narcissistic Personality Disorder and if you Google it and read about people talking about their bpd ex's like they are unlovable narcissists most of those people are mentally ill codependents that got out of nasty bpd or npd relationships(I'm one of them but I'm not a demonizer) and you should ignore their spite they are not experts.
Dr. Fox also authored an at home DBT workbook Amazon product ASIN 1684032733 I used to recommend to clients with BPD before my own mental health went to shit. I met a lot of people who suffer with this and there were actually quite a few able to put symptoms of bpd or their bpd itself into total remission with meditation/mindfulness, dialectical based therapy and mentalization based therapy(MBT was designed specifically for bpd and is even more specialized than DBT). It's a lot of hard work but everyone is somewhere different on the bpd spectrum it's like a prism. And everybody is unique in their own individual struggles of it no matter what you read you are not all textbook or typical cases. It's really better that you got this diagnosis rather than having it and not knowing because you can understand better why you feel the way you feel. I hope you find peace.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tidalwxves, disassociatingana, adios and 1 other person
A

adios

May 13, 2020
Try watching Dr. Daniel Fox's videos https://www.youtube.com/user/lcruz71 on bpd he is a world renowned expert on cluster b personality disorders and he makes it sound like less of a death sentence than other sources if you were just diagnosed. Avoid the stigma surrounding BPD because it gets confused with Narcissistic Personality Disorder and if you Google it and read about people talking about their bpd ex's like they are unlovable narcissists most of those people are mentally ill codependents that got out of nasty bpd or npd relationships(I'm one of them but I'm not a demonizer) and you should ignore their spite they are not experts.
Dr. Fox also authored an at home DBT workbook Amazon product ASIN 1684032733I used to recommend to clients with BPD before my own mental health went to shit. I met a lot of people who suffer with this and there were actually quite a few able to put symptoms of bpd or their bpd itself into total remission with meditation/mindfulness, dialectical based therapy and mentalization based therapy(MBT was designed specifically for bpd and is even more specialized than DBT). It's a lot of hard work but everyone is somewhere different on the bpd spectrum it's like a prism. And everybody is unique in their own individual struggles of it no matter what you read you are not all textbook or typical cases. It's really better that you got this diagnosis rather than having it and not knowing because you can understand better why you feel the way you feel. I hope you find peace.
Thank you so much! Gonna check this out now. I feel like even I was guilty of confusing it with NPD at some point, and yeah, everything I've read has made it sound like relationships are practically impossible.

S

SadGuyWannaDie

Aug 27, 2020
@adios There can be narcissistic traits in someone with bpd but they are usually rooted in childhood trauma and are defense mechanisms which are not the same as a true narcissist's motives. It's not impossible but it can be challenging. I know in my relationship the first few years she had a strong fear of abandonment that later when we got too close turned into a fear of engulfment and a fear of intimacy. From my perspective I was with a different person by the end of the relationship but it lasted almost 7 years.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if I had it. I just got an evaluation done a few months ago, but there is the "quiet" borderline.... Also, apparently BPD and cPTSD have quite a bit of symptom overlap. I think I'm going to talk to a trusted professional about this, because I really suspect I have BPD.

• Hugs
A

adios

May 13, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if I had it. I just got an evaluation done a few months ago, but there is the "quiet" borderline.... Also, apparently BPD and cPTSD have quite a bit of symptom overlap. I think I'm going to talk to a trusted professional about this, because I really suspect I have BPD.
I wish you luck! I hope you can get proper treatment for whatever it is you do suffer with, and I hope you get properly diagnosed as well.
@adios There can be narcissistic traits in someone with bpd but they are usually rooted in childhood trauma and are defense mechanisms which are not the same as a true narcissist's motives. It's not impossible but it can be challenging. I know in my relationship the first few years she had a strong fear of abandonment that later when we got too close turned into a fear of engulfment and a fear of intimacy. From my perspective I was with a different person by the end of the relationship but it lasted almost 7 years.
That makes sense. Thanks:)

• Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I wish you luck! I hope you can get proper treatment for whatever it is you do suffer with, and I hope you get properly diagnosed as well.

That makes sense. Thanks:)
You're so sweet. Thank you. I'm sorry you're struggling so much with the diagnosis. I understand, as I'm still struggling with the cPTSD diagnosis. I know they're all just symptoms in the end, but a label can really be such a hard pill to swallow. It's like the episode of Spongebob when Mr. Krabs had to swallow that huge pill every morning....lmao.

Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey

Student
Jun 17, 2020
I don't have BPD, but spent a number of years in DBT (was turfed there when a therapist fired me because I admitted that I was self-harming). DBT didn't do much for me (I'm more of a "maladaptive overcontrol" case), but it did really seem to help many of the group members with BPD. Hopefully finally getting diagnosed and receiving the appropriate help will end up being a positive for you. ❤

• Love
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I do. First diagnosed when I was 24. Almost 20 years ago

• Aww..
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I don't have BPD, but spent a number of years in DBT (was turfed there when a therapist fired me because I admitted that I was self-harming). DBT didn't do much for me (I'm more of a "maladaptive overcontrol" case), but it did really seem to help many of the group members with BPD. Hopefully finally getting diagnosed and receiving the appropriate help will end up being a positive for you. ❤
Wait, did you say your DBT therapist fired you because you were self-harming? Isn't the whole point of DBT to help manage such behaviors? Wtf

Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey

Student
Jun 17, 2020
No... I'm sorry if I was unclear! I was sent to the DBT program because of the self-harm. I finally disclosed, and the initial therapist was super uncomfortable... immediate referral.

I will say that even though DBT ended up not being for me, the facilitator was incredibly comfortable discussing things like suicide and self-harm openly and honestly. I was able to be far more open with her than I have been with anyone else, without having to fear that I was always on the verge of being committed if I didn't choose my words (very) carefully. That was a definite plus.

Last edited:
A

adios

May 13, 2020
You're so sweet. Thank you. I'm sorry you're struggling so much with the diagnosis. I understand, as I'm still struggling with the cPTSD diagnosis. I know they're all just symptoms in the end, but a label can really be such a hard pill to swallow. It's like the episode of Spongebob when Mr. Krabs had to swallow that huge pill every morning....lmao.
Thanks! Love the spongebob reference by the way. I think I've heard so many bad things about BPD(I had a friend who dated someone with it and all I heard about was how terrible it was for them), that I internalized some of that stigma.
No... I'm sorry if I was unclear! I was sent to the DBT program because of the self-harm. I finally disclosed, and the initial therapist was super uncomfortable... immediate referral.

I will say that even though DBT ended up not being for me, the facilitator was incredibly comfortable discussing things like suicide and self-harm openly and honestly. I was able to be far more open with her than I have been with anyone else, without having to fear that I was always on the verge of being committed if I didn't choose my words (very) carefully. That was a definite plus.
Wow... I'm surprised any therapist did that though. I'm glad you had better luck in DBT even if it didn't help completely <3

• Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive
Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey

Student
Jun 17, 2020
Wow... I'm surprised any therapist did that though. I'm glad you had better luck in DBT even if it didn't help completely <3

I was mortified at the time, and sad because I did feel that I'd connected with that particular individual better than I had with others in the past. I waited months to disclose, and the moment I did, she couldn't get me out of there fast enough.

Now, I understand where she was coming from. Given my current line of work (not in the mental health field), I can appreciate feeling the need to refer something you aren't really equipped to handle, and I absolutely think referral was ultimately the right decision on her end.

I just wish she'd done it a little more... gracefully?

Last edited:
  • Aww..
A

adios

May 13, 2020
I was mortified at the time, and sad because I did feel that I'd connected with that particular individual better than I had with others in the past. I waited months to disclose, and the moment I did, she couldn't get me out of there fast enough.

Now, I understand where she was coming from. Given my current line of work (not in the mental health field), I can appreciate feeling the need to refer something you aren't really equipped to handle, and I absolutely think referral was ultimately the right decision on her end.

I just wish she'd done it a little more... gracefully?
That makes sense. Definitely could've been done more gracefully though.