Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
For context i'm talking about physicals, check ups, getting shots and getting blood drawn. I used to cry like a baby every time I found out I was going to the Doctors when I was a child. Despite being older I still absolutely hate going to get checked on, especially since i'm suicidal. My health doesn't really mean much when i'm looking towards ending my life anyhow.

• Hugs
Reactions: Pisceslilith, Skathon, selfhater and 4 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
The paradox of my illness is that I look completely healthy, although I am in constant pain and suffer from neverending fatigue.

I don't find going to the doctor's unpleasant for the reasons you described, but rather for the fact that I always feel I have to make myself look sick on the outside, so that it matches the inside, and not risk hearing the soul crushing remark "Oh, but you don't look sick!".

It's actually quite tragic... as in Greek tragedy tragic.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Oyoy, Anxietykillsme, Pisceslilith and 3 others
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
Ive not been near a doc in years, see no need, even when ill :pfff: Ill deal with that shit myself thanks :D

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Oyoy, Skathon, Wolfjob_dayjob and 1 other person
enjoy

enjoy

Creature
Dec 20, 2019
i go to the doctor's quite a lot and i hate it. whenever i have my yearly physical, they always give me that generic/vague anxiety and depression questionnaire and try to act like a bunch of white knights. they shouldn't be meddling in mental health. the mind and body are two very separate entities.

Reactions: Green Destiny, Wolfjob_dayjob and Halo13
Halo13

Halo13

Wizard
May 9, 2019
The paradox of my illness is that I look completely healthy, although I am in constant pain and suffer from neverending fatigue.

I don't find going to the doctor's unpleasant for the reasons you described, but rather for the fact that I always feel I have to make myself look sick on the outside, so that it matches the inside, and not risk hearing the soul crushing remark "Oh, but you don't look sick!".

I hear you - I went through the same thing for years "you look fine!" Or "you don't look sick!" And would have to deliberately make myself look like shit before an appointment. Even so, I had huge dark circles under my eyes from exhaustion, sallow looking skin, underweight, etc. Everyone except doctors said I looked terrible (and should see a doctor, of course). Then they would minimize every symptom, downplay any complaint, compare me to other patients with "real problems worse off" than mine, say it was all in my head... while refusing to order any tests for years.

When I finally got assertive and demanded tests, turned out I had an incurable disease the whole time and they were "so sorry it wasn't caught sooner" among a laundry list of other untreated diagnoses. I scoff-laughed when the doctor broke the news because of exactly what you wrote. I'm sorry you're not taken more seriously, truly.

To answer the OP: I pretty much get blood drawn, injections and such on a monthly basis nowadays so it doesn't scare me anymore. Being inside an MRI machine is pretty scary, that's for sure. Don't have much of a choice to go or not because I'd be much more miserable without the treatments :notsure: seems like I live at the doctor's these days.

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy, BlackPoppet, Skathon and 1 other person
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
@Halo13

Your words strike a chord with me on so many levels. I stopped going to the doctor's for the exact reasons you describe.

Those who know me, see the physical transformation in me and read me like an open book "today you are in a lot of pain, aren't you?" they say. But a doctor cannot, of course, do that.

It's bittersweet to read that you eventually got a proper diagnosis - on the one hand, it must be a huge relief knowing what your disease is, as you now have a legitimate reason to "complain", on the other hand it's horrible that you had to fight in order to be taken seriously.

If only there were no hypochondriacs, so doctors would be less inclined to doubt people who are actually sick!

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Oyoy, BlackPoppet, Lost in a Dream and 2 others
Wolfjob_dayjob

Wolfjob_dayjob

Student
Oct 19, 2018
I hate needing help.

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy, BlackPoppet, Skathon and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I have all the symptoms of unmanaged diabetes but my blood sugars come back fine so they dismiss it and say it's all down to mental health.
It's not helped by the fact that having a chronic debilitating undiagnosed and untreated condition is bound to cause anxiety and depression. Or more accurately, fear and unhappiness.
Now when I go to any doctors my physical ailments are dismissed before I've even sat down.

Several months ago I was persuaded to go to hospital by NHS 111 because of bowel impaction after no BM for over two weeks. The pain was excruciating. I knew the medication I needed and I needed it NOW.
I was dismissed by the consultant because I wasn't quite dying yet and was told I was fine really - one look at my records and saw the word depression, that was it. All in my head. Go back to GP and take antidepressants.
I was ready now to dive under a bus just to make the pain end. I somehow made it back home and collapsed.
I called my GP and said I couldn't make it in could I get a doctor. They didn't want to do that and wanted me to go to hospital. Lol.
Now I was angry, and *politely* insisted on a GP visit.
The on call doctor came out and immediately prescribed the drug and dose I needed.
He did leave his stethoscope behind too, which was cool. I played with it. He came back for it unfortunately.

Now my default setting is to not trust doctors. It seems that having a mental health diagnosis means I'm not allowed to have a physical illness. All they see is the anxiety that is caused by the illness in the first place.

So yeah, tragic and ironic. Sorry for the long reply, it kinda got away from me there.

• Hmph!
  • Aww..
Reactions: Oyoy, the box is empty, Lost in a Dream and 4 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
For the love of all that is holy and decent in this world! This line is killing me.

I was dismissed by the consultant because I wasn't quite dying yet.

• Aww..
Reactions: Oyoy, Skathon, Lost in a Dream and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
For the love of all that is holy and decent in this world! This line is killing me.

I was dismissed by the consultant because I wasn't quite dying yet.
He actually said, and I will quote:
'Come back when you are vomiting faeces.'
I kid you not, not exaggerating.
I'm not a violent person, but right then I wanted to chin him one.

• Aww..
  • Hmph!
Reactions: Oyoy, Lost in a Dream, Wolfjob_dayjob and 1 other person
CyanideSoup

CyanideSoup

Memento mori
Oct 1, 2019
I would be if you could ever get a doctors appointment in the UK

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: marcusuk63, Wolfjob_dayjob and Deleted member 1465
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I probably would have if I was in your position to be honest.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream and Wolfjob_dayjob
D

Deleted member 1496

Student
Aug 2, 2018
I still absolutely hate going to get checked on, especially since i'm suicidal. My health doesn't really mean much when i'm looking towards ending my life anyhow.

Yeah, I hate going to the doctors too, for the same reason. And with co-pays, co-insurance, deductibles, I'm saving some money too. :smiling:...USA Healthcare System...:notsure:...:aw:...:angry:

I do need to have another major procedure performed, but I don't want to go through with it, especially since I can function fine for now. Emotionally, my first procedure floored me when I realized all my friends bailed on me, friends that I had known for 20+ years. I don't talk to anybody anymore. Physically, I learned how to recover, but emotionally, I don't think I can handle another reminder that I'm own my own for everything. I had people's backs but realized no one had mine.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lost in a Dream and Wolfjob_dayjob
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Yes, I try to avoid going because they always try to pressure some drug or birth control on me. It's like fuck I just came here to find out what's wrong with me, I don't need a hpv vaccine or a new pill to become dependent on lol! Let's see what this medication will do to her? Then your life is derailed because of an unexpected side effect of a new drug they put u on. No thanks. You really don't need a mammogram at age 40, even though they pressure it on u. You should maybe get one if u feel lumps or u notice u have something going on, but the dose of radiation from mammogram can actually increase your risk of breast cancer. So doing it regularly is probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Green Destiny and Lost in a Dream
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020

I wish you would have knocked that asshole out for that shit. This is why I hate most doctors, they are either incompetent morons, or they are dishonest and greedy bastards who care more about making a huge profit than the health of their patients. I lost my mom to cancer because a doctor misdiagnosed it as something minor and refused to do any tests.

but the dose of radiation from mammogram can actually increase your risk of breast cancer. So doing it regularly is probably not a good idea.

But if you don't get cancer from having mammograms regularly, how is your doctor supposed to afford the bowling alley that he or she wants to put in the basement of their mansion? They need you to get sick so they can make more money, damn it!

• Love
Reactions: Green Destiny and Final Escape
W

Worthless loser

Feb 13, 2020
99% of doctors do not care at all about patients. They became doctors for the status and the money. They are some of the most selfish, egotistical, and condescending people on the planet.

Reactions: Green Destiny and Lost in a Dream
terry_a_davis

terry_a_davis

Warlock
Dec 28, 2019
Don't like going even though i've had no bad experiences with them. I think some people don't as it's when you're unwell or may receive bad news, the dentist is worse for me and i have a toothache right now, great.

Last edited:
Reactions: selfhater
C

ComingClose

Jan 19, 2020
I don't mind going IF I actually get to see the doctor. Unfortunately, it takes an average of 3 weeks to get an appointment with mine. I've been trying to see him for over 5 years now but the three appointments I've actually been able to make in that time have been cancelled because 1) doctor had to travel to Pakistan on family business, 2) doctor had to travel to see sick relative and 3) doctor had to travel to Pakistan at short notice. Only other appointments I've been offered have been with the nurse practitioner who only ever wants to take blood (pain in hips/knees and ankles? Lets take some bloods and make sure theres no problem there..) or test my lung function because I smoke so I've stop accepting appointments with her. Good job I don't get ill because the bus would arrive before I could see the doctor!!

selfhater

selfhater

Experienced
Mar 1, 2020
Don't like going even though i've had no bad experiences with them. I think some people don't as it's when you're unwell or may receive bad news, the dentist is worse for me and i have a toothache right now, great.
same i hate seeing doctors and getting checked i don't think i can bear knowing i have physical issues other than the mental agony i go thru

Reactions: Oyoy and terry_a_davis
K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
I am immunocompromised,so going to the doctors is really risky for me. Especially this time of year,the doctors waiting room is the most dangerous place I can be. It's full of people who may not even have the first idea how contagious they are. Kids that spread their infected snot everywhere. The hospital isn't so bad as most people are either injured or bveing treated for a longer term illness. They would at least have manifested symptoms and so be aware of a contagious condition.
The doctors actually agree with me and I usually only have to phone them for a consultation at this time of year. Prescriptions are emailed through to the pharmacy and they deliver to my door.
If you weren't sick before you went in there,chances are you will be by the tinme you leave.

departing

departing

Enlightened
Jul 5, 2019
I'm at the doctor's office more than I care to be. Personally, my death date is approaching and it makes no sense to keep seeing the doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, etc. At a certain point, I'll draw a line in the sand and stop seeing everyone. That'll mean that I have no human contact whatsoever and will make CTB easier.

BlackPoppet

BlackPoppet

Wise woman and Celtic sky person
Mar 7, 2020

my Dr has said the same thing to me. Other people have said it to me as well. That I don't look tired or ill. I get quite annoyed. When will people realise that it's an invisible disability?! My mental health difficulties or ones mental health difficulties!

Reactions: Epsilon0
BlackPoppet

BlackPoppet

Wise woman and Celtic sky person
Mar 7, 2020
I hate needing help.
me too! Whenever I have to go and collect my prescriptions for sleeping tablets I always feel really embarrassed that I have to go to the doctors, and the pharmacy every two weeks. It's just so embarrassing! That I need these tablets to survive. That I cannot function without them. It really hurts.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob
Anon2662

Anon2662

Just a girl trapped in a psychological prison
Feb 13, 2020
Yep! I avoid going now because they always have ulterior motives.. don't trust any of them around my city..

BabyYoda

BabyYoda

F*ck this sh!t I'm out
Dec 30, 2019
I hate getting medical check-ups because people get to see how shitty my body is

Reactions: the box is empty
the box is empty

the box is empty

Sometimes the fall kills you. Sometimes you fly.
Mar 8, 2020
I hate getting medical check-ups because people get to see how shitty my body is

my doctor's bedside manners are kinda shitty too. I think he's just stressed from the sheer volume of patients he has to deal with. sometimes when i go i secretly wish he'd find a terminal illness absolve me from my own intentions.

• Hugs
Reactions: BabyYoda and Oyoy
ghostspace

ghostspace

ghost space, ghosts pace
Feb 10, 2020
I can't stand being touched, so yes. My doctor is awesome, though.

• Love
Remember to forget

Remember to forget

Mar 6, 2020
Yes I hate it. I feel like I am waisting their time and end up in tears.

• Hugs