Tionally

Tionally

bored
Jul 5, 2023
did anyone here had derealization and dealt with it somehow? does anyone know any good ideas to make it better? what works for you?

Reactions: Lostandlooking, Kit1 and i would like to
Fulminare

Fulminare

Read Thomas Szasz!
Feb 20, 2022
I've had it for a decade and the only solution to this is to ignore it. Stop thinking about it. A thought about it calls it back into reality, which continues the endless cycle.

I recommend you to read a book about it, but this will probably make you hyper-aware of your symptoms. If you're fine with that then go get Feeling Unreal - Depersonalization and the Loss of the Self by Daphne Simeon Jeffrey Abugel. It opened my eyes about this disorder.

Reactions: Kit1
Tionally

Tionally

bored
Jul 5, 2023
I've had it for a decade and the only solution to this is to ignore it. Stop thinking about it. A thought about it calls it back into reality, which continues the endless cycle.

I recommend you to read a book about it, but this will probably make you hyper-aware of your symptoms. If you're fine with that then go get Feeling Unreal - Depersonalization and the Loss of the Self by Daphne Simeon Jeffrey Abugel. It opened my eyes about this disorder.
did reading it make it better for you or did the derealization get stronger because of your increased awareness of it?

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I had marijuana-induced DP/DR for around 1.5 years before recovering. Now it might happen sometimes but only in certain situations. It is a symptom of mental distress so you can improve it by improving your overall well-being. I take CBD to help my mood, and I avoid stressful/overstimulating situations. I'm not able to do much but at least that problem is under control. I think once you experience it enough and understand what's going on, it kind of loses its bite, much like with panic attacks. Maybe think of it like you are watching a movie and just let it unfold, if that helps.

Reactions: Kit1 and WAITING TO DIE
Tionally

Tionally

bored
Jul 5, 2023
I had marijuana-induced DP/DR
my dp/dr also increased because of marijuana I think. it greatly increased after smoking and I didn't realize it was connected until like after 4th time smoking. by this time my derealization got pretty bad and it's nearly constant. I didn't take any weed for like half a year now though

P

poached

Dec 4, 2023
I have had this come and go the past couple of years.

If it's related to emotional struggles it sometimes improves when the underlying emotional stressor can be relieved. For instance if it's the result of anxiety about a specific upcoming event after the event things can improve.

Reactions: Lostandlooking and Kit1
R

RamoHelsom

Nov 8, 2023
I have struggled with this myself, one thing is to try and recognize the triggers, for some people it can be crowds or tight spaces or others it can be emptiness or huge cavernous areas. But I think the most important thing is your emotional state. Try and not dwell on the past or get anxious about the future too much. I have been recommended meditation but it has mixed results for people and can be hard to get into.

Fulminare

Fulminare

Read Thomas Szasz!
Feb 20, 2022
did reading it make it better for you or did the derealization get stronger because of your increased awareness of it?
Nah, it got better afterwards. But the book will increase it momentarily, such as every other media that might be triggering your dpdr.

H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
There's a guy who claims he's come up with a cure. He created a program called Dp/Dr No more. Maybe look into that.

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me đź’™
Nov 1, 2023
You can look on r/dpdr. They have a lot of resources.

Reactions: Kit1 and poisonedminds
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I've lived with depersonalisation and derealisation for years now.
It was triggered by smoking weed.
It was incredibly distressing at first but I've learned to cope with it by just accepting it and thinking to myself that life is just a harmless and temporary dream and it helps take some of the intensity away.

poisonedminds

poisonedminds

Student
May 8, 2021
I have dissociation problems from bpd. It comes and goes. It's very bothersome but I haven't found anything that makes it better.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1 and Tionally
Tionally

Tionally

bored
Jul 5, 2023
It was incredibly distressing at first but I've learned to cope with it by just accepting it and thinking to myself that life is just a harmless and temporary dream and it helps take some of the intensity away.

That's the thing I hate. I want to feel real. I don't want to feel like in a movie/dream. I know that everything around is real but it doesn't change the fact that I dissociate from my environment. Maybe if anything felt real I would at least have some motivation to change things

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1 and WAITING TO DIE
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
That's the thing I hate. I want to feel real. I don't want to feel like in a movie/dream. I know that everything around is real but it doesn't change the fact that I dissociate from my environment. Maybe if anything felt real I would at least have some motivation to change things
I've heard of some people reducing the symptoms of DP by working out. Apparently exercise can help in some way because it somehow " grounds " them back into reality.
I guess everyone has different ways of coping with it, and I hope you find yours because DP is an awful thing to go through.

K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I dissociate a lot and this kept me alive throughout a childhood of extreme abuse. Unfortunately now this has become my main challenge as I still do it when I get flashbacks and nightmares - and then end up taking overdoses, ending up on cliff edges and mountains before switches back to my senses. I found the book by Dr Bessel van der Kolk; Body Keeps the Score somewhat helpful and I have a therapist who I see weekly who is working with me on grounding techniques which works some of the time. I have met people who have managed to overcome this and it seems to be through grounding, mindfulness, yoga, exercising - I am still along way away, but good to know that there is hope.

Reactions: poisonedminds
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I've had it for years. I think mine started because of trauma

BetweenRadioStations

BetweenRadioStations

Student
Aug 10, 2021
I did and do neurofeedback and it reduced it significantly

I

iji

Dec 4, 2023
reducing stress, including time for that to happen.

Reactions: Lostandlooking