ArchmagePrincess

ArchmagePrincess

Magical Princess of Death
Aug 31, 2022
I got a new therapist and right off the bat gave me some homework to make a gratitude journal. I feel pretty patronized by it personally, but I was wondering if this sort of thing has helped anyone on here even a little bit?

Just don't think it gave me any confidence that she included this png labeled "inspiration." Am I being too full of myself and pessimistic and it can be helpful? or is this just infantilizing nonsense?

Attachments

• image (58).png
    image (58).png
    525.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking and epic
epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
or is this just infantilizing nonsense?
In my case , I would find it lame, toxically positive, and an attempt to guilt trip me about feeling suicidal. But my problems are also serious .

Maybe in your case he finds redeeming aspects in your life which he wants you to bring out so you could appreciate them more and in the process feel less suicidal .

• Informative
Reactions: Lostandlooking and ArchmagePrincess
N

Nigh

Experienced
Oct 12, 2020
Yes, I got one as a birthday gift, whilst I was sectioned. Although the person meant well, at the time I scoffed at it, as I felt I didn't have much to be grateful for. I have written in it twice since, and haven't gone back, as I'm not in the right mindset.

• Informative
Reactions: ArchmagePrincess
SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
I guess it works if you have lucky, unearned things? Or if you don't feel resourceful, this could help identify resources?

But yes I share that feeling 100%: infantilizing nonsense 🤢
🤮

The universe should feel lucky it has us

• Informative
Reactions: epic and ArchmagePrincess
ArchmagePrincess

ArchmagePrincess

Magical Princess of Death
Aug 31, 2022
Yes, I got one as a birthday gift, whilst I was sectioned. Although the person meant well, at the time I scoffed at it, as I felt I didn't have much to be grateful for. I have written in it twice since, and haven't gone back, as I'm not in the right mindset.
I know they probably meant well but man my first thought would be, what a passive-aggressive gift. Getting sectioned then getting a giant "you should be grateful :D" as a gift.
I guess it works if you have lucky, unearned things? Or if you don't feel resourceful, this could help identify resources?

But yes I share that feeling 100%: infantilizing nonsense 🤢
🤮

The universe should feel lucky it has us
Yeah very true that it really only works if you've been lucky and haven't had to fight tooth and nail for the few nice things around you. I like the sentiment that the universe should feel grateful for our existence instead of the other way around, it's empowering while the journal feels so infantilizing. Thanks for sharing.at the universe should feel grateful for our existence instead of the other way around, it's empowering while the journal feels so infantilizing. Thanks for sharing.
In my case , I would find it lame, toxically positive, and an attempt to guilt trip me about feeling suicidal. But my problems are also serious .

Maybe in your case he finds redeeming aspects in your life which he wants you to bring out so you could appreciate them more and in the process feel less suicidal .
Toxic positivity and lame are exactly how I'm feeling about it. I never considered it was a guilt trip but on second glance you're absolutely right about it being one. I do have redeeming aspects of my life and I am already grateful for them, I guess they just assumed since I was suicidal and have a few good things at all in my life I must be ungrateful and not appreciate them or stupid and not see them. I'm incredibly grateful for my good friends and my sister I have who have helped me through a lot, but they can't make-up for or fix the major issues I'm facing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, SexyIncél and epic
Actually

Actually

May 18, 2023
Holy shit dude, this brought back so many memories
My first councilor(5th grade) made me a gratitude journal and it was all bs

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Personally- the most optimistic and successful people I know in life ARE grateful. Still- I don't think anyone is forcing them to be that way. I think it's a genuine feeling of appreciation. I don't feel like it's a feeling you can force and it would piss me off if someone tried to force me to feel it. So- I'd definitely feel the way you do!

Ultimately though- I'm a pessimist. The truth is- I resent being alive. I don't see why I should be grateful for anything on top of that- it's not to say I'm not grateful at all for things. Still- I don't appreciate this obligation to be grateful- anymore than I appreciate the obligation to live.

When you think about it- all we're being grateful for is that things aren't/ weren't worse than they potentially could be! That seems pretty messed up to me. It's more a fear response in a way- thanks for not giving me a chronic illness, thanks for not kicking me out on the streets. Who are we being grateful to? God? Our parents? Chance/ luck? They put us here in the first place to try and navigate through this mess!

Sorry for the big rant... I probably shouldn't be posting in recovery at all! I'm so negative. I guess maybe you could write down things you find beautiful. I suppose there are things I do genuinely appreciate. Maybe it will help to make you focus on them. Good luck!

Reactions: whatevs
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
there's some research that this helps people, but I'm guessing it doesn't help people with serious mental illness. Then follow up research found it doesn't help that much.

She's probably seen the earlier research, which obviously the press reported gleefully as they like fairy tales and happy endings.