CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
This album is about the suicide of the drummer's, Brann Dailor's, sister Skye; hence the name Crack The Skye. It's a pretty emotionally impactful album that goes through the pain of having lost someone to suicide and is also very good musically. I like the album quite a bit and wanted to ask if anyone else was a fan.

Reactions: moonlightwilderness and Duality
D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
I'm a big fan, in my opinion that album is the best one they've released to date. I couldn't get into their later albums, but I always come back to this one and play it from start to finish.

Blood Mountain and Leviathan are my next favs from them. I'm not sure if they can ever peak Crack the Skye though, the album is just that good.

Now that I think about it, there were a lot of great metal albums that were released in the 2000-2010 era.

Reactions: CrazyDiamond04
CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

May 8, 2023
I'm a big fan, in my opinion that album is the best one they've released to date. I couldn't get into their later albums, but I always come back to this one and play it from start to finish.

Blood Mountain and Leviathan are my next favs from them. I'm not sure if they can ever peak Crack the Skye though, the album is just that good.

Now that I think about it, there were a lot of great metal albums that were released in the 2000-2010 era.
Hell yeah! Leviathan and Blood Mountain are also fantastic albums. And you're right, a lot of fantastic metal albums released during the 2000s; M-16, Dopethrone, Paradise Lost, Fear of A Blank Planet and Lateralus just to name a few of my favorites released during that decade.

Reactions: Duality
Csmith8827

Csmith8827

Don't you listen to your heart? (Listen to it...)
Oct 26, 2019
Crack the Skye was ok. My favorite by far is Blood Mountain though. Leviathan was alright as well. Those were the only 3 CDs I could get into by them though. There later stuff I just didn't really like or listen to really.

They released some badass Blood Mountain Vans a while back... I'll have to see if I can get a pair of them or if they still sell them.

D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
Hell yeah! Leviathan and Blood Mountain are also fantastic albums. And you're right, a lot of fantastic metal albums released during the 2000s; M-16, Dopethrone, Paradise Lost, Fear of A Blank Planet and Lateralus just to name a few of my favorites released during that decade.

Paradise Lost, by Symphony X was so good too (I think there's a band called Paradise Lost that also release an album with their own name, but I haven't listened to that). Wow that really brings me back! I liked 10,000 Days more than I did Lateralus, but both are still excellent albums.

I also listen to symphonic metal, like Nightwish, Epica, etc. Meshuggah is on the other end but I really liked the remix of Nothing, and also obZen. Crazy drums on Bleed.

CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

May 8, 2023
Paradise Lost, by Symphony X was so good too (I think there's a band called Paradise Lost that also release an album with their own name, but I haven't listened to that). Wow that really brings me back! I liked 10,000 Days more than I did Lateralus, but both are still excellent albums.

I also listen to symphonic metal, like Nightwish, Epica, etc. Meshuggah is on the other end but I really liked the remix of Nothing, and also obZen. Crazy drums on Bleed.
Yeah, Symphony X's Paradise Lost is great! I'm surprised you like 10,000 days more than Lateralus since most people tend to see it the other way. Not to say that 10,000 days doesn't have good stuff on it, Right In Two, the Pot, and Wings for Marie parts 1 and 2 are fantastic. I haven't really gotten into symphonic metal all too much. I heard some songs from that one Nightwish album where the art is this girl kneeling on the ground, but I can't remember the name of it right now haha. I haven't listened to meshuggah either! I've seen their name thrown around a lot but I haven't gotten around to checking them out. I've heard that a lot of people don't like the vocals though lol.

D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
Yeah, Symphony X's Paradise Lost is great! I'm surprised you like 10,000 days more than Lateralus since most people tend to see it the other way. Not to say that 10,000 days doesn't have good stuff on it, Right In Two, the Pot, and Wings for Marie parts 1 and 2 are fantastic. I haven't really gotten into symphonic metal all too much. I heard some songs from that one Nightwish album where the art is this girl kneeling on the ground, but I can't remember the name of it right now haha. I haven't listened to meshuggah either! I've seen their name thrown around a lot but I haven't gotten around to checking them out. I've heard that a lot of people don't like the vocals though lol.

Yes I've heard that most fans like Lateralus. I'm not sure what it is, it is definitely a close 2nd but I can't help but like 10,000 Days more. :ahhha:

Anyway I was so excited that they finally released Fear Inoculum. I seriously lost all hope that they'd ever release another album after my favorite one. I hope they don't take so long to release their next one.

The Nightwish album you're referring to is Century Child. It's an excellent album, even 20+ years later it's one of their best! Their next album, Once, is even better in my opinion. And then they released another killer album, Imaginareum, with another singer a bit later. One of my favs, honestly I don't think they've topped that since.

CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

May 8, 2023
Yes I've heard that most fans like Lateralus. I'm not sure what it is, it is definitely a close 2nd but I can't help but like 10,000 Days more. :ahhha:

Anyway I was so excited that they finally released Fear Inoculum. I seriously lost all hope that they'd ever release another album after my favorite one. I hope they don't take so long to release their next one.

The Nightwish album you're referring to is Century Child. It's an excellent album, even 20+ years later it's one of their best! Their next album, Once, is even better in my opinion. And then they released another killer album, Imaginareum, with another singer a bit later. One of my favs, honestly I don't think they've topped that since.
Did you like Fear Inoculum? I was never a huge fan of the album, especially when it first released. I've come around to it now in some respects but I still don't like it as much as Lateralus or 10,000 days. I don't think it's a bad album but I don't think it reached the same heights as the previous stuff.

I gotta listen to more of Nightwish's stuff lol. I remember liking what I heard when I listened to it but just never got around to listening to more from them.

D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
Did you like Fear Inoculum? I was never a huge fan of the album, especially when it first released. I've come around to it now in some respects but I still don't like it as much as Lateralus or 10,000 days. I don't think it's a bad album but I don't think it reached the same heights as the previous stuff.

I gotta listen to more of Nightwish's stuff lol. I remember liking what I heard when I listened to it but just never got around to listening to more from them.

I didn't like it as much as 10,000 Days, but it sits with Lateralus as my 2nd favorite. I think my enthusiasm was in part due to them not having released anything for how many years. I completely stopped following Tool after 6 years of nothing, so I was really shocked and excited that they released FI. Maybe too excited for my own good, but seriously, after 13 years I couldn't help but feel super excited!

Actually I started to get a little bit of hope after A Perfect Circle (finally) released a new album in 2018. I did not expect that.

13 years, you could have raised a teenager in that time! You could have graduated high school, college, gotten a job, become a manager, etc.

Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020

Paradise Lost is one of my favourite bands for over 20 years. Nice to see the young people liking the old names as well:)

CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

May 8, 2023
I didn't like it as much as 10,000 Days, but it sits with Lateralus as my 2nd favorite. I think my enthusiasm was in part due to them not having released anything for how many years. I completely stopped following Tool after 6 years of nothing, so I was really shocked and excited that they released FI. Maybe too excited for my own good, but seriously, after 13 years I couldn't help but feel super excited!

Actually I started to get a little bit of hope after A Perfect Circle (finally) released a new album in 2018. I did not expect that.

13 years, you could have raised a teenager in that time! You could have graduated high school, college, gotten a job, become a manager, etc.
Yeah, Maynard definitely took his time on that album. Hopefully we don't have to wait 13 years until the next one lol. I remember him talking about having difficulties with some of the other band members when it came to the production of the album; that probably contributed to the wait. I don't think I've heard anything yet about another album. Then again I haven't really been keeping up with it haha. I'm curious though, do you like Dream Theater? They also sort of fit into the same mold as Tool being a progressive metal band. They've always been a big favorite of mine, personally.

D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
Yeah, Maynard definitely took his time on that album. Hopefully we don't have to wait 13 years until the next one lol. I remember him talking about having difficulties with some of the other band members when it came to the production of the album; that probably contributed to the wait. I don't think I've heard anything yet about another album. Then again I haven't really been keeping up with it haha. I'm curious though, do you like Dream Theater? They also sort of fit into the same mold as Tool being a progressive metal band. They've always been a big favorite of mine, personally.
I used to like them. I haven't listened to anything after BC&SL though. I think they just fell off after I discovered other bands.

Funnily enough, I heard On the Backs of Angels while I was playing Sleeping Dogs. That was really wild, also hearing two of Opeth's songs. But yeah other than On the Backs of Angels, I haven't listened to any of their subsequent songs/albums. Even with Opeth, I feel like they've shifted a lot musically after Watershed, so anything after Watershed I haven't bothered to really listen to.

Reactions: CrazyDiamond04
CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

May 8, 2023
I used to like them. I haven't listened to anything after BC&SL though. I think they just fell off after I discovered other bands.
Yeah, I can understand that I guess; it's when Portnoy left the band. He actually just returned to the band not too long ago, pretty excited to see what they come up with next now. The Portnoy era was definitely DT's best. I liked Mangini too but Portnoy was such an essential part of the band creatively, I'm hopeful that they can start making some really good stuff now. Though, I did like ADTOE quite a bit and Mangini seems like a cool guy.

Funnily enough, I heard On the Backs of Angels while I was playing Sleeping Dogs
Hell yeah! One the Backs of Angels is definitely one of the best songs that DT has done, alongside Breaking All Illusions. Those were the two standout songs from that album imo.
Even with Opeth, I feel like they've shifted a lot musically after Watershed, so anything after Watershed I haven't bothered to really listen to.
Opeth is also one of my favorites. Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries are fantastic albums and Mikael is a fantastic singer and guitarist. They definitely shifted a lot musically though, but I can understand why. I like their later prog rock stuff, but I can understand it's not everyone's thing. It's probably a pain in the ass to growl like Mikael does on a consistent basis, can't be easy on his vocal chords so I don't blame him for cutting down on it, y'know? Still, their early stuff is fantastic.

M

moonlightwilderness

Aug 25, 2023
It's a good one. Leviathan is my personal favorite from them though

D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
Opeth is also one of my favorites. Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries are fantastic albums and Mikael is a fantastic singer and guitarist. They definitely shifted a lot musically though, but I can understand why. I like their later prog rock stuff, but I can understand it's not everyone's thing. It's probably a pain in the ass to growl like Mikael does on a consistent basis, can't be easy on his vocal chords so I don't blame him for cutting down on it, y'know? Still, their early stuff is fantastic.

I couldn't believe that it was the same guy growling and singing when I first heard them. It's usually one person doing the singing, and the other growling. He also plays the guitar too, that really blew my mind. Yes for sure, it definitely can't be easy doing both singing and growling, it must be so hard on the vocal chords especially after 30 years? I wasn't born when they were founded, but that is a very long time. Man, Blackwater Park came out in 2001 and that wasn't even their first album so he's been doing it for 10 years at that point.