Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
I do it because it's the only real challenging thing available to me, but I rarely enjoy it. I feel the only thing I want in life at this point is sex, which I've had, but it's been so long I don't remember what it was like. At this point the fantasy of it so strong that i'll probably just end up disappointed the next time. Then I'd be forced to ctb because there will nothing else left that I'd want to do. Sigh anhedonia

Reactions: No Entertainment
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Yay!
Reactions: NobodyKnowsMe, GentleJerk, Élégie and 4 others
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
Reactions: Lost Magic and Pluto
hopelessdreams

hopelessdreams

life and its opposite
Mar 1, 2022
no not really. I like reading. its like stepping out of my life and living someone else's for a few minutes. that said, I mostly read dark books about mental illness. so its not really an escape, but it gives me more perspective on what other people must be going through.

may I ask: what kind of genre do you read? what are some titles you've read? maybe I can help you with some good recommendations, if you're op for it of course.

Reactions: NobodyKnowsMe, No Entertainment and Weebster
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
no not really. I like reading. its like stepping out of my life and living someone else's for a few minutes. that said, I mostly read dark books about mental illness. so its not really an escape, but it gives me more perspective on what other people must be going through.

may I ask: what kind of genre do you read? what are some titles you've read? maybe I can help you with some good recommendations, if you're op for it of course.
I read the classics because I'm pretentious, insecure and have a need to prove myself lol

I've read a lot of old sci-fi like Asimov but don't like it as much anymore.

My ocd latches onto reading making it a compulsion and sucks any enjoyment out of it. It's happened with video games too.

• Aww..
Reactions: hopelessdreams
indica

indica

🌿
May 27, 2022
reading > sex
that being said, i kinda understand. i only allow myself to read when i feel it's something "worth my time." i have really high standards. i don't allow myself to read for pleasure or enjoyment. it feels like a "waste of time" when i do. i only allow myself to read nonfiction, for the most part.
i struggle with fantasizing about having "better" sex too. it will probably never live up to my expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: DynamicDepression
hopelessdreams

hopelessdreams

life and its opposite
Mar 1, 2022
I read the classics because I'm pretentious, insecure and have a need to prove myself lol

I've read a lot of old sci-fi like Asimov but don't like it as much anymore.

My ocd latches onto reading making it a compulsion and sucks any enjoyment out of it. It's happened with video games too.
damn that's a whole other genre. classics seem so daunting to me, I havent started on them yet. I've read some good books covering some mental illnesses. the first one being "what to say next" by Julie Bauxbum. Its about a boy with autism who gets bullied in high school, I really liked that one. if you want a soul crushing one, I recommend "Letters to the lost" Its about grief and losing a parent.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
The modern world is surprisingly boring despite offering so much entertainment. Traveling through mostly empty outer space would suck too probably until you landed someplace.
You're kidding yourself, space travel would cure all our ills and revitalize Western civilization.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
You're kidding yourself, space travel would cure all our ills and revitalize Western civilization.
Traveling through space would be boring since it's mostly empty. If you can do warp speed then it wouldn't be so bad.

Reactions: whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
I'm assuming actual advances in travel speed, otherwise not that exciting.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Reactions: GentleJerk and Foresight
No Entertainment

No Entertainment

Life is a once-in-a-lifetime experience
Apr 25, 2022
I feel indifferent about reading. I don't hate it but I don't like it either. Sure I've read books but not that many. Mostly manga or self-help genre.

Reactions: Weebster
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I do, as I struggle to concentrate and I easily get distracted. This is the way I have always been. I used to read a bit a couple of years ago, but I never really enjoyed it that much. I just feel too tired to read much as well and I find nothing interesting.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
It's a fantasy of mine. I like to believe that. I'm not kidding, I would become a Mars colonizer in a heartbeat lol.
Just go to Arizona. It's where the Mars rover really is.

Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I just don't read much anymore. I don't hate it, but I don't have the attention span to read novels or anything. Technology has also made it easier to just get the info and entertainment I need at a much faster rate. But, like you said, everything gets boring after a while. I'm really digging the new Obi Wan series so far though. It's a blast to see those familiar characters being fleshed out more.

Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
It's like exercise to me. I'm apprehensive to start but when I dive in it's usually a good session and I feel good after.

Reactions: Niko66 and GentleJerk
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Yes but that's mainly due to a lack of imagination or attention span and the fact that movies, shows, and video games are still enough to relieve my boredom.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
I quit Monte Cristo. Tedious nightmare. I'm reading Tolstoy. It's good.
Yes but that's mainly due to a lack of imagination or attention span and the fact that movies, shows, and video games are still enough to relieve my boredom.
I've had to go back to the before time (before 9/11) because modern movies are trash.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I've had to go back to the before time (before 9/11) because modern movies are trash.
It got a lot easier once I started to find enjoyment in the bad parts of many movies whether it's ironically or because it can be genuinely fascinating to see graphics, writing, or acting go very wrong no matter how much talent and money gets thrown at something. Can't say it works for everyone but sometimes the irony dissolves into genuine enjoyment when something does feel competently done.

Reactions: GentleJerk
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
It got a lot easier once I started to find enjoyment in the bad parts of many movies whether it's ironically or because it can be genuinely fascinating to see graphics, writing, or acting go very wrong no matter how much talent and money gets thrown at something. Can't say it works for everyone but sometimes the irony dissolves into genuine enjoyment when something does feel competently done.
I've learned to avoid IMDb's suggestions.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
That's fine. I never really bothered either. I just go with what I think I'd like.
I avoid horror because of nightmares but I think I should watch them and during the day.

NobodyKnowsMe

NobodyKnowsMe

Just biding my time
Dec 21, 2021
I love to read - it is one of my escapes from life. I stick with fiction, mostly fantasy - dragons, magic, etc... (no desire at all to read real stuff like the history crap that my husband reads). I don't do it as much as I used to - mostly because my eyes can't take extended reading sessions most days.