Rhymester

Rhymester

Failure
Aug 9, 2023
Hey everyone, ever since I can remember I have been absolutely repulsed when people close to show me sympathy. But for example, when a stranger shows me sympathy the feeling is not as extreme. Any thoughts on this? Can anybody relate?

avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
People's sympathy feels so insincere to me. They care in the moment, which means that they stop caring soon after. I would much rather have one person with whom I can share my thoughts to get a second opinion on what I should do than to have a dozen people tell me they are sorry for me.

Sometimes I receive misplaced sympathy too, which I definitely dislike. For example, I like to stay at home in my free time. It has happened a few times that I got sympathy pitied by some extroverts when I told them that I didn't have any plans for the weekend and would be staying home. I understand that they don't like the idea of staying home alone, but I do.

Edit:
I forgot about the part of when loved ones show sympathy. The above applies to my family and friends too. I don't like to be reminded of my misfortunes for the sake of showing sympathy—positivity is vital to me. But I appreciate anyone who wants to help me. For example, by reflecting on my mistakes with me and giving me a second opinion on what I should do next.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rhymester
cats333

cats333

sleepy
Aug 10, 2023
i also hate when close ones show sympathy bc i feel like its pity rather than them understanding. angers me to think that they only feel sorry enough to say it but not soeey enough to actually care

• Hugs
Reactions: Rhymester
Kempel556

Kempel556

Luce sicut stellae
Sep 26, 2023
I would say people only usually show sympathy to make themselves feel better, in order to inflate their own egos or to make them seem caring and loving people when in reality they really dont care for no one but them

• Love
Reactions: Lynx. and Rhymester
Rhymester

Rhymester

Failure
Aug 9, 2023
i also hate when close ones show sympathy bc i feel like its pity rather than them understanding. angers me to think that they only feel sorry enough to say it but not soeey enough to actually care
Pity is the absolute worst thing in my opinion.
People's sympathy feels so insincere to me. They care in the moment, which means that they stop caring soon after. I would much rather have one person with whom I can share my thoughts to get a second opinion on what I should do than to have a dozen people tell me they are sorry for me.

Sometimes I receive misplaced sympathy too, which I definitely dislike. For example, I like to stay at home in my free time. It has happened a few times that I got sympathy pitied by some extroverts when I told them that I didn't have any plans for the weekend and would be staying home. I understand that they don't like the idea of staying home alone, but I do.

Edit:
I forgot about the part of when loved ones show sympathy. The above applies to my family and friends too. I don't like to be reminded of my misfortunes for the sake of showing sympathy—positivity is vital to me. But I appreciate anyone who wants to help me. For example, by reflecting on my mistakes with me and giving me a second opinion on what I should do next.
What you said is so true. People care in the moment. A weekend that I get to spend alone? Best weekend. Being alone is such a relief, I don't have to constantly pretend like I care about all the social events that people my age go to.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds