iamalreadydead

iamalreadydead

Student
Nov 25, 2022
got caught stealing from target (i was getting baby formula, baby clothes for my friends newborn and a fucking bike seat so same friend could go to work, genuinely insane that this is one of the times i get caught cause I didn't even get anything for myself and i thought i was doing something nice) so i got a shoplifting charge and although its basically nothing and im not worried over it, the idea that i have to go to court over it and defend my actions are kind of adding to the feeling of being the opposition against the rest of society and that i need to die very soon just because i don't have the energy to even dress up for that court hearing

• Hugs
Reactions: LifeQuitter, Circles, Minsu and 4 others
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
I'm not sure what jurisdiction you are in, so I can't give you legal advice, but I'll tell you I've been the guy who prosecutes the shoplifters. It's not that bad, like you said, and no one except real jerks are going to think you're awful for it.

You did something wrong, regardless of your motives, but you also had a lot of pressure and were doing it for a good reason. There will be people there who were drinking and driving - they threatened other people's lives just because they wanted to party. You're not that bad.

But do, DO, go to the hearing no matter what. Be polite, even if you have some legitimate questions, be more patient than the person across from you. If you have to go in front of the judge, you'll be given a chance to say what you want, so don't talk when they're talking.

(e*: because some people may find it funny if they know me. My boss at that job didn't like my performance because I spent a lot of time with each person and let them talk out the whole situation and tried to calm them down. They wanted me to just say something quick and get it over with, but I would give way more detail than necessary. Doesn't sound like me at all, right??)

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: DefinitelyReady, LifeQuitter, Circles and 3 others
Arahant

Arahant

Student
Jun 15, 2024
If a prosecutor says it aint that bad, then it aint that bad.

Having been to court for minor charges too, I can understand the adrenaline is uncomfortable, but it fades real quick.
You wont think it will, but it does.
@derpyderpins
Never would have guessed you could have been a prosecutor.
For a vengeful protector of justice, you are surprisingly kind.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: Circles, prana, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
If a prosecutor says it aint that bad, then it aint that bad.

Having been to court for minor charges too, I can understand the adrenaline is uncomfortable, but it fades real quick.
You wont think it will, but it does.
@derpyderpins
Never would have guessed you could have been a prosecutor.
For a vengeful protector of justice, you are surprisingly kind.
It was once a week. My firm had a deal with the city. I could never do criminal full time lol I can't detach myself at all.

There were some times when I got really tough if someone did something very dangerous and clearly didn't feel bad. I brought the hammer down.

Oh, and thank you :)

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
iamalreadydead

iamalreadydead

Student
Nov 25, 2022
I'm not sure what jurisdiction you are in, so I can't give you legal advice, but I'll tell you I've been the guy who prosecutes the shoplifters. It's not that bad, like you said, and no one except real jerks are going to think you're awful for it.

You did something wrong, regardless of your motives, but you also had a lot of pressure and were doing it for a good reason. There will be people there who were drinking and driving - they threatened other people's lives just because they wanted to party. You're not that bad.

But do, DO, go to the hearing no matter what. Be polite, even if you have some legitimate questions, be more patient than the person across from you. If you have to go in front of the judge, you'll be given a chance to say what you want, so don't talk when they're talking.

(e*: because some people may find it funny if they know me. My boss at that job didn't like my performance because I spent a lot of time with each person and let them talk out the whole situation and tried to calm them down. They wanted me to just say something quick and get it over with, but I would give way more detail than necessary. Doesn't sound like me at all, right??)
Thanks for the response, I genuinely appreciate it and I find what you said genuinely comforting. I wanted to ask, since you've been on the prosecutions end of this, what exactly is that court summons going to be like? Is it just going to be me, a judge and whoever else would be relevant to be there in a room by ourselves? Do you happen to know if they'll ask me specifics about what happened that first court date or will it just be a very formal, un-intimate exchange of legal jargon to get the case moving?

• Hugs
Reactions: Minsu, Praestat_Mori and derpyderpins
set0553

set0553

самоубийство
May 16, 2024
got caught stealing from target (i was getting baby formula, baby clothes for my friends newborn and a fucking bike seat so same friend could go to work, genuinely insane that this is one of the times i get caught cause I didn't even get anything for myself and i thought i was doing something nice) so i got a shoplifting charge and although its basically nothing and im not worried over it, the idea that i have to go to court over it and defend my actions are kind of adding to the feeling of being the opposition against the rest of society and that i need to die very soon just because i don't have the energy to even dress up for that court hearing
It happens.. got caught years ago at a grocery store, and got a 150$ fine (plus cost of merchandise) it was a difficult time and no job then. But for the right reasons its nothing terrible. Actually shows you care, trying to feed a kid! In my eyes you're a hero! Yeah tho, it'll be a pain to deal with and everything, and will cost alot in the end, but damn, I respect ya! 👍 we gotta do what we gotta do, when we gotta do it. The store will certainly recover, charging an 800% markup!

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Circles, prana, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
Thanks for the response, I genuinely appreciate it and I find what you said genuinely comforting. I wanted to ask, since you've been on the prosecutions end of this, what exactly is that court summons going to be like? Is it just going to be me, a judge and whoever else would be relevant to be there in a room by ourselves? Do you happen to know if they'll ask me specifics about what happened that first court date or will it just be a very formal, un-intimate exchange of legal jargon to get the case moving?
In my area, you will go to whatever the smallest, most inconsequential "courtroom" in the city is. (This was a small city/mid sized town.) It will likely be packed full of people. The judge will call through a list of everyone and generally what they are there for: speeding, shoplifting, loitering, minor vandelism, those types of things. You will be asked if you are pleading guilty or not guilty/want to talk to a prosecutor. (Again, this is how my court ran.) You want to talk to the prosecutor, even though you know you did it and you know they can prove it. You may have to sit around a while before they will talk to you either right there in the bustling courtroom or outside where they have an office/desk set up. Then, at some point the judge will start hearing the cases that have made deals which he has to hear. (Not all cases have to go in front of the judge once a deal is made, depends on the jurisdiction and what your punishment ends up being. Shoplifting sometimes comes with some probation dending on the value of what was stolen, which would normally require going in front of the judge.)

Everyone there is overpaid underpaid and wants to go home - unless there's a bleeding heart like me. Even if the lawyers and judge make a lot of money generally, they don't get paid that much for these few hours. Some lawyers (like my then-boss) can be really heartless asshats. If you have someone like me, they will ask you what happened and want to know about it and why it happened, etc. They should - hopefully - explain things well, but if they're like my boss they won't really work with you they will just tell you what deal they are offering. If money is no object, you might want an attorney. If you have little/no income you can ask the judge to see if you qualify for a court-appointed attorney. (In the US). Otherwise, this is a rare case where it probably isn't worth the cost.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GargoyleFiend, Praestat_Mori and iamalreadydead
iamalreadydead

iamalreadydead

Student
Nov 25, 2022
In my area, you will go to whatever the smallest, most inconsequential "courtroom" in the city is. (This was a small city/mid sized town.) It will likely be packed full of people. The judge will call through a list of everyone and generally what they are there for: speeding, shoplifting, loitering, minor vandelism, those types of things. You will be asked if you are pleading guilty or not guilty/want to talk to a prosecutor. (Again, this is how my court ran.) You want to talk to the prosecutor, even though you know you did it and you know they can prove it. You may have to sit around a while before they will talk to you either right there in the bustling courtroom or outside where they have an office/desk set up. Then, at some point the judge will start hearing the cases that have made deals which he has to hear. (Not all cases have to go in front of the judge once a deal is made, depends on the jurisdiction and what your punishment ends up being. Shoplifting sometimes comes with some probation dending on the value of what was stolen, which would normally require going in front of the judge.)

Everyone there is overpaid and wants to go home - unless there's a bleeding heart like me. Even if the lawyers and judge make a lot of money generally, they don't get paid that much for these few hours. Some lawyers (like my then-boss) can be really heartless asshats. If you have someone like me, they will ask you what happened and want to know about it and why it happened, etc. They should - hopefully - explain things well, but if they're like my boss they won't really work with you they will just tell you what deal they are offering. If money is no object, you might want an attorney. If you have little/no income you can ask the judge to see if you qualify for a court-appointed attorney. (In the US). Otherwise, this is a rare case where it probably isn't worth the cost.

Thank you so much this really eased my mind about things!! I seriously couldn't find anything about the specifics of what I might experience and it was driving me crazy- I genuinely appreciate this!!

• Hugs
Reactions: derpyderpins
Arahant

Arahant

Student
Jun 15, 2024
Gotta love the fact that this forum has both sides of the bench chiming in to support within an hour.

Can't help but feel like any minute now a judge is gonna chime in to and say it's going to be OK.

Take good care @iamalreadydead
You will be all right, I promise.

• Hugs
Reactions: Circles and iamalreadydead
Imagined_Euphoria

Imagined_Euphoria

Student
Aug 5, 2024
I'm so glad I never interacted with police even once in my life, always kept my distance from this stuff. Autists like me are especially vulnerable to these bullshit legal issues, I know so many who got in trouble and got bullied by the police

Reactions: prana