H

HateMyLife

Oct 15, 2022
I am an atheist, but I was once Catholic because that's how my parents raised me. I lost my belief in the faith a while ago, but a fear of hell exists in me as a relic of my past religious self. Obviously, I don't think hell is real, but there is a part of me that worries about the remote possibility it is real, and that's prevented me from committing suicide. Can anyone else relate?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: losing hope, LetMeBeSad, araney995 and 9 others
IntoTheLight

IntoTheLight

Oct 11, 2022
It would just be from one hell to another.

• Yay!
Reactions: LetMeBeSad, lostinmythoughts, depressedcooc and 22 others
toasterbath

toasterbath

Jun 26, 2022
hell is already on earth

• Love
Reactions: LetMeBeSad, EndJstifiesTheMeans, drained999 and 16 others
L

Lifeaballache

Student
Aug 28, 2022
I don't believe in a place where you burn for all of eternity. Sorry. Also unless you're a mass murderer I doubt you would be going to hell anyway.

Reactions: LetMeBeSad, skylarwhiteyo104781, XIII and 9 others
myfinalform

myfinalform

Oct 12, 2022
god will forgive your sins thats why he died at the cross, thats what i think

Reactions: XIII, Shivali, makethepainstop and 2 others
September5th

September5th

You can get better. But the choice is always ours.
May 17, 2022
Yesterday was the worst day of my life. No jokes. Hell can't be as bad as this.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ts0hill, ShornSoloists, LastFlowers and 5 others
happy?1270

happy?1270

Hydrangeas and delphiniums @ my funeral
Mar 11, 2020
I was raised Catholic it's such a struggle living w religious trauma. I wish you well

• Hugs
Reactions: XIII, Justnotme, NoLightRemains and 1 other person
T

toforigivelife

Arcanist
Jul 5, 2021
I'm not trying to encourage you to CTB or to end your life but, as far as going to hell because you died by suicide?

For what it's worth, those who have had near death experiences, or NDEs, as a result of a suicide attempt have all reported that they were treated with love and understanding and had positive experiences.

Those who feel that they've had after death communication with loved ones who have died by suicide have all reported that their loved one is in a good place and not being punished.

Bill Guggenheim has had an interesting road to developing his psychic abilities and also shares his experiences after his daughter died by suicide.

Here's a link to a good video of him discussing his experiences and his experiences with his late daughter.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgNYLmuE3q4

Those who have had near death experiences overwhelmingly report that there is no hell. That hell is a made up concept meant to be used as a scare tactic.

A life review? Accountability? Yes. Hell? Eternal damnation? No.

The only NDEs I've come across that talk about hell are usually a product of either a religious organization or an individual who says to take Jesus as your savior or else. There's usually an agenda in reports of hell.

For what it's worth, here is a link to video of a psychic medium, she had her own experience with depression and a suicide attempt, and her experiences talking with those on the "other side" who died by suicide (hint: none of them are in hell).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RjoMlf2cUsQ&t=19s

Here's another suicide attempt account of an NDE that does not involve hell.

People who suffer from mental illness, whether they have bipolar disorder or clinical depression, do not get the same kind of understanding that those who suffer from an illness or disease of the body.

If a person who has stage four cancer opts to stop treatment that is not regarded as a suicide.

Their deaths are more easily understood, their decision is accepted and respected and people can accept their death more easily.

But we still see those who suffer from an illness of the mind and who opt to end their suffering because no amount of treatment can end their pain or make their lives bearable as someone who killed themselves.

People who suffer from an illness of the mind should be able to have the same reassuring conversations with their loved ones that those who have an illness of the body are allowed to have.

Maybe suicides would not leave the same level of grief if this were the case.

Canada has added mental illness under their right to die laws.

There are native cultures who believe that suicide means it was that person's time to go, just as in the case of a physical illness.

So, if there is an afterlife and a God, I do not believe that those who die from an illness of the mind are punished any more than a person who died of an illness of the body.

We're still woefully behind in understanding the full impact of mental illness but that doesn't make it any less of an illness or any less of a fatal illness.

Having said all that, I'll leave you with the genuine wish that things get better and that you find the answers and relief that you need.

If your situation is really to the point of no return then I respect your feelings, I respect your decision and wish you a peaceful transition. ❤️

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: BlazingBob, huphup, LetMeBeSad and 6 others
A

AlighieriTTT

Sep 26, 2022
Not at all. I've been an atheist all my life and don't believe in Hell at all.

Reactions: Justnotme, LastFlowers, pthnrdnojvsc and 1 other person
H

HerculePoirot

(Frozen account)
Sep 25, 2022
Nope. There is no such thing as hell, except down here, we're up to our necks until the bus arrives.

Reactions: Pisceslilith, ShornSoloists, Justnotme and 8 others
S

Sad_Sack

Experienced
Oct 3, 2022
If god turns out to be real I do not believe that they would send people to hell, especially forever. If there is a god they must be pretty enlightened. I can't imagine that they would create you without your having asked for it, thrust you into a very temporary existence and then send you to hell for eternity if you piss them off. That would be the move of a small bratty child with waaaaay to much power. I can't believe that if god is there that they would behave like that.

Reactions: XIII, Pisceslilith, Forever Sleep and 4 others
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
I have lots of problems.
Thankfully worrying about going to hell isn't one of them.
I think this whole heaven and hell idea is a figment of people's imagination.
Nope. There is no such thing as hell, except down here, we're up to our necks until the bus arrives.

I agree. Hell is this life I am leading.

Reactions: achromatic, Élégie, LastFlowers and 2 others
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
I am an atheist, but I was once Catholic because that's how my parents raised me. I lost my belief in the faith a while ago, but a fear of hell exists in me as a relic of my past religious self. Obviously, I don't think hell is real, but there is a part of me that worries about the remote possibility it is real, and that's prevented me from committing suicide. Can anyone else relate?
I did die and was brought back, where I was I didn't want to come back. There was no hell there, hell is here.

• Love
Reactions: toforigivelife
T

toforigivelife

Arcanist
Jul 5, 2021
I did die and was brought back, where I was I didn't want to come back. There was no hell there, hell is here.

"Could any hell be more horrible than now, and real?"

- Jim Morrison

Reactions: LastFlowers and Talvikki
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Nope. Not at all.

Reactions: Pisceslilith, Callie Arcale, LastFlowers and 2 others
September5th

September5th

You can get better. But the choice is always ours.
May 17, 2022
Reactions: sleeps and Drownedby
Chronicillness

Chronicillness

Experienced
Jun 19, 2018
It's a very complicated situation... I may write a thread about it.

You should I think we'd all be interested to hear about it. Sorry to hear that yesterday was that horrific for you ☹️

NoLightRemains

NoLightRemains

I found my light again. Namu Amida Butsu
Sep 26, 2021
I also was raised Catholic so it's in the back of my mind, even though I don't think it's real. The remote possibility is not something that keeps me from suicide though. I'll take that risk if my suffering becomes unbearable in this life.

Reactions: LastFlowers
Octogenarian

Octogenarian

Feb 28, 2022
I was also raised to be Catholic, but dropped out when I was 17. I grew up in a mostly Catholic small town where every so often somebody shot and killed himself. These obvious suicides were treated as accidents ("He was cleaning his gun when it somehow went off." Such a false scenerio was thought to be necessary since suicide was a "mortal sin,"which would send you straight to hell and Catholic funerals couldn't be held for people who deliberately offed themselves.

LucyB

LucyB

Cowards be like "be safe".... I be like "Be FREE"
May 7, 2022
"Hell" is real. You already live here. The hell taught in these stupid religions is symbolic. You think you are going to burn in hell? Well you already are. The fire represents the light being used from your soul (ever heard the song this little light of mine). This evil ass place has a purpose and that's to extract energy aka fire from people. Real souls feed this place with fear. This is why people have to be sad, depressed, stressed, angry (these are all forms of fear). You think the movie monsters Inc is a cute kids movie. No its evil af. They use the energy from fear to create electricity. Are souls are pure energy. Pure electricity.

Reactions: toforigivelife
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
god will forgive your sins thats why he died at the cross, thats what i think
So what's the point of even trying to abstain from sinning?
Are there levels of a heavenly afterlife where your place is determined by where you landed on the spectrum of good vs evil?
I'm not trying to encourage you to CTB or to end your life but, as far as going to hell because you died by suicide?

For what it's worth, those who have had near death experiences, or NDEs, as a result of a suicide attempt have all reported that they were treated with love and understanding and had positive experiences.

Those who feel that they've had after death communication with loved ones who have died by suicide have all reported that their loved one is in a good place and not being punished.

Bill Guggenheim has had an interesting road to developing his psychic abilities and also shares his experiences after his daughter died by suicide.

Here's a link to a good video of him discussing his experiences and his experiences with his late daughter.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgNYLmuE3q4

Those who have had near death experiences overwhelmingly report that there is no hell. That hell is a made up concept meant to be used as a scare tactic.

A life review? Accountability? Yes. Hell? Eternal damnation? No.

The only NDEs I've come across that talk about hell are usually a product of either a religious organization or an individual who says to take Jesus as your savior or else. There's usually an agenda in reports of hell.

For what it's worth, here is a link to video of a psychic medium, she had her own experience with depression and a suicide attempt, and her experiences talking with those on the "other side" who died by suicide (hint: none of them are in hell).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RjoMlf2cUsQ&t=19s

Here's another suicide attempt account of an NDE that does not involve hell.

People who suffer from mental illness, whether they have bipolar disorder or clinical depression, do not get the same kind of understanding that those who suffer from an illness or disease of the body.

If a person who has stage four cancer opts to stop treatment that is not regarded as a suicide.

Their deaths are more easily understood, their decision is accepted and respected and people can accept their death more easily.

But we still see those who suffer from an illness of the mind and who opt to end their suffering because no amount of treatment can end their pain or make their lives bearable as someone who killed themselves.

People who suffer from an illness of the mind should be able to have the same reassuring conversations with their loved ones that those who have an illness of the body are allowed to have.

Maybe suicides would not leave the same level of grief if this were the case.

Canada has added mental illness under their right to die laws.

There are native cultures who believe that suicide means it was that person's time to go, just as in the case of a physical illness.

So, if there is an afterlife and a God, I do not believe that those who die from an illness of the mind are punished any more than a person who died of an illness of the body.

We're still woefully behind in understanding the full impact of mental illness but that doesn't make it any less of an illness or any less of a fatal illness.

Having said all that, I'll leave you with the genuine wish that things get better and that you find the answers and relief that you need.

If your situation is really to the point of no return then I respect your feelings, I respect your decision and wish you a peaceful transition. ❤️

Psychic mediums are morally bankrupt scam artists (every single one) and "NDEs" are a trick of the mind in its dire state of nearing death or being revived after a clinically observed "death"..an experience not much different than a dream.

However I agree that nobody who commits suicide will be going to any sort of hell.
I'll say they're not going anywhere at all really.
Just back to the great senseless nothingness
from whence they came.
If god turns out to be real I do not believe that they would send people to hell, especially forever. If there is a god they must be pretty enlightened. I can't imagine that they would create you without your having asked for it, thrust you into a very temporary existence and then send you to hell for eternity if you piss them off. That would be the move of a small bratty child with waaaaay to much power. I can't believe that if god is there that they would behave like that.
It God exists, then he/she/it needs to be dealt with.

Sent to a hell of their own.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LucyB and Callie Arcale
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I completely agree with your assessment of 'God' as a bratty child. If there is a God and they did create this world, I don't have massively high hopes that any other existence they had a hand in will turn out to be 'good' or 'fair'. I struggle so much with the idea that suffering is for some great purpose.

From what I've heard about God- it does indeed seem to behave like a vindictive, narcissistic, sadistic child. If we go on our stories about God, it does indeed seem to me like it banishes people to hell for 'pissing them off.' Lucifer/ Satan was afterall supposedly an angel initially who disagreed with God as to who should get admittance into heaven and who got banished to hell as a result.

I just truly hope either there isn't a God, or if there is, they are a whole lot more fair than they are running this world.

Reactions: LucyB and LastFlowers
T

Thefuture

Feb 28, 2022
I don't think about hell in the generic sense of lava and fire and brimstone. I just think... with all the complexities and unknowns in life. This probably isn't the only "reality" that is going on. There could be millions, trillions. With infinite different ways life could emerge in all those realities. I fear because I failed this one. I'll put some sort of bad energy or pain into the world and onto others. And for that I'll pay a price. Even if I feel like they don't care for me. Or they pretend to. I'll still cause anguish. But I guess I do that being alive as well and not getting better... you can go around forever in your head about these things. There's never dead ends and nothing is simple. You'll just keep going deeper and questioning more. So I feel like there's a possibility I'll be demoted to perhaps an even harsher reality to the one I'm currently living in. Maybe I'll live in a whole new realm of pain I couldn't even fathom. There are so many layers to life it's a completel mind fuck. Most people have life's and jobs and when they come home.. they indulge in entertainments. Not many people have sat with their brain for years and contemplated their morality and the nature of reality. Shits spooky as shit. I feel fear all the time. I can't escape it and it's driving me mad...

Also, what gets me is people who put their faith in god, it works because they believe in it. It's like when you take a pill that's placebo. I wanna believe in myself... and a lot of non religious people do. But for me, that almost feels like some sort of the devils work. Cos I'm no good.
What if god and whatever that means... it could be a machine, an alien... something we can't comprehend. It's defiantly not no man. What's to say they're not an evil god or just an indifferent god. Why's it always this all loving good natured god. I don't see that. But if I believed I could see it. But what I've realised most is everyone is just deluding themselves all the time. To keep locked into the "reality". Very little is actually "real"... it takes some kind of sickness to see clearly sometimes. I swear when I am the most dissicoated from reality I feel the most sane. As soon as I get in touch with reality I feel like I'm tripping balls and it's frightening. But then you become too contagious and repellent to others reality. No one wants the house of cards to fall. But no one is even thinking of that shit.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: LetMeBeSad and LastFlowers
ghosties

ghosties

Oct 13, 2022
No. To me, God doesn't exist. Once you die, it's over. Eternal rest. One of the most important milestones in life is death. The ritual, the memories, what you leave behind. I envy the ability to believe in God. It would make life more exciting. I'm just not a magical thinker, I guess. Wouldn't it be nice to travel the universe and see the unseen? It can only be imagined, those places we long to go after this.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and LastFlowers
almaranthine

almaranthine

Wizard
Nov 28, 2019
Not really. If I die by accident/natural causes and hell is real, I'm definitely going there anyways. I'm not a particularly bad person or anything but there is no way I'm ever going to whole-heartedly accept Jesus or God or whatever to be accepted into their heaven so... it's hell either way.

Reactions: ghosties
ghosties

ghosties

Oct 13, 2022
Not really. If I die by accident/natural causes and hell is real, I'm definitely going there anyways. I'm not a particularly bad person or anything but there is no way I'm ever going to whole-heartedly accept Jesus or God or whatever to be accepted into their heaven so... it's hell either way.
Same here what a prick

• Yay!
Reactions: almaranthine
LucyB

LucyB

Cowards be like "be safe".... I be like "Be FREE"
May 7, 2022
I completely agree with your assessment of 'God' as a bratty child. If there is a God and they did create this world, I don't have massively high hopes that any other existence they had a hand in will turn out to be 'good' or 'fair'. I struggle so much with the idea that suffering is for some great purpose.

From what I've heard about God- it does indeed seem to behave like a vindictive, narcissistic, sadistic child. If we go on our stories about God, it does indeed seem to me like it banishes people to hell for 'pissing them off.' Lucifer/ Satan was afterall supposedly an angel initially who disagreed with God as to who should get admittance into heaven and who got banished to hell as a result.

I just truly hope either there isn't a God, or if there is, they are a whole lot more fair than they are running this world.
Actually coward is the more fitting term. There are many God's. The one that created this world and trapped souls here was jealous of his brother (our true leader) and as a result he did this for revenge. Why do you think every movie is about some evil villain seeking to be the most powerful or to take over the world.

Our true leader cannot get to us. This God required a sacrifice in order to free everyone. He only wanted the sacrifice to be his brother's daughter. Seeing no other way to get the people back the daughter agreed to come here live a fucked up life and play a sick game with this God. When she wins the game all of the souls here will be released. I know fucked up right. This Jesus character that people seem to believe in is symbolic for her.

• Yay!
Reactions: LastFlowers and Forever Sleep
J

Jadzia

Name is from Star Trek. I'm not from E. Europe
May 8, 2019
No, I don't believe in an afterlife of any kind and my life is a living hell - a living death.

Reactions: lostinmythoughts
Lonerzepam

Lonerzepam

O'lord! I Have My Doubts
Sep 2, 2022
If there's a party in heaven I plan to leave wasted

Reactions: XIII