T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I'm just curious if there's other people on here who also go to college.

I want to also know if anyone can woe and lament alongside me that spring semester is starting soon (or may have already started for some of you).

I'm primarily scared of Calc. II, and then I also gotta do linear algebra in the fall which is often considered harder than calculus. Damn my CS major lol.

Also, feel free to share any thoughts about college here, maybe this can become an interesting discussion and topic.

• Hugs
Reactions: girlsboysthems, Julsie, jenny6391bubbles and 5 others
carnivalforone

carnivalforone

Experienced
Sep 29, 2023
im super pathetic and just seem to go from gap year to gap year i think its time for me to accept that im destined to ctb or become a neet/hikki . some part of me does wish that maybe in another life, where my circumstances weren't so hideous i could have gone to a big college and made tons of friends and gotten a good job and found love and lived my foolish dream of a good life. i wish you luck on your cs major haha. im happy for you :))

• Hugs
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
College didn't work out for me. I had just put myself through Calc 1 and was gearing up for Calc 2 when I had to quit for....reasons.

You can do it! You're a smart guy. Just watch your use of algebra. That's the biggest problem for all higher math students, that their algebra knowledge is shaky.

• Love
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind and Celerity
ForeverBroken

ForeverBroken

Memento mori
Jun 17, 2023
I'm currently enrolled in spring semester (if I don't ctb before it starts). I'm taking Chemistry 1 and Precalculus. Should be interesting. I'm kind of nervous about precalc. though. It's been quite awhile since I've done Algebra and Trig.

• Hugs
MyLuckyStars

MyLuckyStars

Funeral Crasher
Dec 13, 2023
im a sophomore, break ends for me in around 2 weeks. public relations major so no stem classes left for me, thankfully. just a lot of cereal box mazes and coloring books

• Yay!
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind and ForeverBroken
Dysgenic Pup

Dysgenic Pup

A canine that’s not so heavenly.
Sep 18, 2021
Partially. I wish to return full-time, but it's just such a struggle for me to pass one class in a semester, never mind four or more classes in one semester.

• Hugs
Chocomel

Chocomel

Chocolate Milk
Jan 13, 2024
Oh hey Im a CS major too. Just started college last year. I got overwhelmed by a bunch of things atm because exam is next month

Rack.-

Rack.-

Trying to understand this world
Jun 11, 2023
I'm also currently enrolled in a college degree about Data Analysis & Business Intelligence! It's being hard and I'm starting final exams next week ugh...

Oh hey Im a CS major too. Just started college last year. I got overwhelmed by a bunch of things atm because exam is next month
Uhh sorry if I sound too dumb but what's a CS major?

C

CPY

Student
Oct 30, 2023
I'm an eternal freshman

• Hugs
Hardcore_Henry

Hardcore_Henry

Water Drinker
Dec 24, 2023
already graduated, but going for my masters. the best advice i could give is to put a lot of thought into your chosen major, otherwise you're (probably) not gonna have a great time.

and make friends with Libgen. :sunglasses:

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
College didn't work out for me. I had just put myself through Calc 1 and was gearing up for Calc 2 when I had to quit for....reasons.

You can do it! You're a smart guy. Just watch your use of algebra. That's the biggest problem for all higher math students, that their algebra knowledge is shaky.
My biggest issue is that I seem to have gaps in foundational knowledge for my calculus, although I fill those gaps with various internet resources like Khan Academy, Professor Leonard, and Organic Chemistry Tutor.
I'm currently enrolled in spring semester (if I don't ctb before it starts). I'm taking Chemistry 1 and Precalculus. Should be interesting. I'm kind of nervous about precalc. though. It's been quite awhile since I've done Algebra and Trig.
You should be fine! For my precalc, it started with advanced algebra and then moves onto trig concepts, we didn't really do much calculus until calculus I. If you have lectures (I didn't), you will greatly benefit from those. Can't speak forcChemistry though, chemistry and chemical equations have always been a weak point of mine.
I started in May of last year (so, the summer) and now I'm onto my third semester. I'm the same way and get easily overwhelmed by exams. Exams and the start of semesters is the worst for me. It's nice to meet another CS major though!
I'm also currently enrolled in a college degree about Data Analysis & Business Intelligence! It's being hard and I'm starting final exams next week ugh...

Uhh sorry if I sound too dumb but what's a CS major?
I wish you luck on your exams! And CS stands for "Computer Science"
already graduated, but going for my masters. the best advice i could give is to put a lot of thought into your chosen major, otherwise you're (probably) not gonna have a great time.

and make friends with Libgen. :sunglasses:
I have put thought into it, and I honestly can't imagine myself majoring in anything else. The only other thing I've been remotely interested in previously was nursing, and I decided against that after Covid-19. Also, I have certainly made friends with Libgen haha

EDIT: I've also realized that I suppose if this doesn't work out, there is one more job I'd be interested in. It doesn't pay nearly as well and I might hate but I'm always up for trying anything before CTB so I have no regrets and that job is: Teacher, or maybe even school IT. I've always thought it'd be neat to work in the education system in some way, feel like I'm contributing to something.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rack.- and Hardcore_Henry
Hardcore_Henry

Hardcore_Henry

Water Drinker
Dec 24, 2023
I've also realized that I suppose if this doesn't work out, there is one more job I'd be interested in. It doesn't pay nearly as well and I might hate but I'm always up for trying anything before CTB so I have no regrets and that job is: Teacher, or maybe even school IT. I've always thought it'd be neat to work in the education system in some way, feel like I'm contributing to something.
i worked for a small amount of time as a teachers aide for grade school children and it was one of the most rewarding experiences ive ever been a part of, the kids were cool as hell and they were always excited to see me lol. if it weren't for my issues (horrible anxiety) i could see myself teaching. i know its not exactly what you might be looking for (considering you said school IT) but its a fufilling experience i'd recommend if you're able

Last edited:
  • Love
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
i worked for a small amount of time as a teachers aide for grade school children and it was one of the most rewarding experiences ive ever been a part of, the kids were cool as hell and they were always excited to see me lol. if it weren't for my issues (horrible anxiety) i could see myself teaching. i know its not exactly what you might be looking for (considering you said school IT) but its a fufilling experience i'd recommend if you're able
That's comforting to hear, and I just suggested school IT, but I'd be find teaching or something similar in the same environment. I have anxiety but its not crippling and for some reason, less present around kids. My aunt babysits a lot and that's where I learned I work really well with teaching kids stuff. Now it might be a bit different as a teacher considering I have to follow a curriculum but the core skill of being able to communicate effectively is there.

Anyways, this is just a backup plan in case I either don't get a Software Engineering job or similar job, or I absolutely hate the job.
I actually tried to apply to be a substitute teacher some time before August 2023 but never heard back from them unfortunately.

• Love
Reactions: Hardcore_Henry
Chocomel

Chocomel

Chocolate Milk
Jan 13, 2024
I started in May of last year (so, the summer) and now I'm onto my third semester. I'm the same way and get easily overwhelmed by exams. Exams and the start of semesters is the worst for me. It's nice to meet another CS major though!
Yeah it really is busy for me. I barely have time for video games, which is one of my comfort activity. I actually plan to buy a Switch too this year, it's on my resolution.
I've also realized that I suppose if this doesn't work out, there is one more job I'd be interested in. It doesn't pay nearly as well and I might hate but I'm always up for trying anything before CTB so I have no regrets and that job is: Teacher, or maybe even school IT. I've always thought it'd be neat to work in the education system in some way, feel like I'm contributing to something.
Wow, I also plan to be a teacher if I didn't get some IT related jobs.

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
I'm in graduate study, but I am a huge slacker and constantly shirking my responsibilities due to extreme fatigue and brainfog. I will be lucky to graduate from my master's in all honesty.

With the maths, if you can find any super difficult practice problems that incorporate tricky algebra concepts, you have to grind grind grind until they stick. A lot of those types of classes are teaching you very basic principles then throwing you a curveball on an exam by introducing a super complicated problem

• Hugs
Reactions: LaVieEnRose and ThatStateOfMind
J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
I'm primarily scared of Calc. II, and then I also gotta do linear algebra in the fall which is often considered harder than calculus. Damn my CS major lol.
fr, during my third and fourth semesters i felt like i was majoring in math instead.

My fifth starts in just under a month. I'm not optimistic, and I know I should be programming, but even though my suicidal ideation is nowhere near as intense as it was when I got my SN and signed up here, I still have no real sense of direction, and no real goals, which makes doing anything hard.

• Hugs
Reactions: LaVieEnRose and ThatStateOfMind
Chocomel

Chocomel

Chocolate Milk
Jan 13, 2024
A lot of those types of classes are teaching you very basic principles then throwing you a curveball on an exam by introducing a super complicated problem
This tbh. It's kinda annoying when that happen. Sure they want to motivate me to study more at home, but that honestly is not the best method

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Yeah it really is busy for me. I barely have time for video games, which is one of my comfort activity. I actually plan to buy a Switch too this year, it's on my resolution.

Wow, I also plan to be a teacher if I didn't get some IT related jobs.
Yeah I live with my mom and she got herself a switch for Christmas so I've played that quite a bit over this break.

But it's pretty cool that you also plan to be a teacher if tech doesn't work out. Is it for the same reason, that you feel it would be fulfilling?
I'm in graduate study, but I am a huge slacker and constantly shirking my responsibilities due to extreme fatigue and brainfog. I will be lucky to graduate from my master's in all honesty.

With the maths, if you can find any super difficult practice problems that incorporate tricky algebra concepts, you have to grind grind grind until they stick. A lot of those types of classes are teaching you very basic principles then throwing you a curveball on an exam by introducing a super complicated problem
im the exact same way, slacking heavily. I also have crazy brain fog when I feel really depressed and it makes school work so hard. I feel much better when I'm in an on-campus class but most of my classes are online, the college doesn't offer many on campus unless I'm willing to drive to a campus about 1 hour away each way, and I'm not tbh.

Also yeah, I agree with the math stuff. The best way I've found to study is find out exactly what the lesson is teaching, and find a video that explains how to do it step by step, which is surprisingly easy for a lot.
fr, during my third and fourth semesters i felt like i was majoring in math instead.

My fifth starts in just under a month. I'm not optimistic, and I know I should be programming, but even though my suicidal ideation is nowhere near as intense as it was when I got my SN and signed up here, I still have no real sense of direction, and no real goals, which makes doing anything hard.
Im on my third semester so I am NOT looking forward to it, lol.

But yeah I'm not programming projects, I'm doing freecodecamp's scientific python beta course, I am kinda enjoying learning this new language, and it's way more straightforward than the c++ I typically use. I'm depressed quite often as well, and it really makes it hard to study and do what you should.

What I do is I just push through, with small breaks in between but not too long or else I'll have more trouble
This tbh. It's kinda annoying when that happen. Sure they want to motivate me to study more at home, but that honestly is not the best method

• Hugs
Reactions: jar-baby
Chocomel

Chocomel

Chocolate Milk
Jan 13, 2024
But it's pretty cool that you also plan to be a teacher if tech doesn't work out. Is it for the same reaso
I just think that it would be delightful to be one. I aim to be grade school teacher or middle. Its like I go back being a student again you know. Although there's definitely gonna be a different experience if I'm the one that's teaching.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022

It's the key to getting away from your oppressive family. Can that serve as temporary motivation?

• Hugs
Andro_USYD

Andro_USYD

Artificially happy on medicine
Jul 1, 2023
Yes I'm doing Bachelor of computer science and arts majoring in philosophy this is my second year studying at Sydney uni, I'm yet to participate in any of the societies at this campus (they're very big of their societies/groups with huge amounts of choice e.g. CS groups, chess groups, table tennis etc.

All while maintaining a lot of meds to artificially stay happy. It's a really beautiful campus, I wish I could appreciate it more, honestly it feels like going to Hogwarts witchcraft and wizardry. 1800s architecture, libraries. But my antidepressants have caused a lack of feeling and it's kinda just become routine.

I like to do courses in the holidays so I'm learning LaTEX for intensive February for better essay and formatting skills. It's a pretty easy programming language that U could probably also do having a CS major. I highly recommend it.

Chocomel

Chocomel

Chocolate Milk
Jan 13, 2024
It's the key to getting away from your oppressive family. Can that serve as temporary motivation?
I actually do that right now. It's nice to leave house for 12 hours straight

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
It really should but... somehow, it just doesn't.
I wanted to die at your age. Fast-forward 11.5 years and I'm still here. The lack of a college degree (and what it signifies) really hindered my life. I went back after dropping out at your age with renewed motivation but it didn't work out, though for different reasons. Now I'm permanently trapped in the terrible familial orbit.

That's not an attempt to administer some "tough love". I know how hard it is to do something when summoning motivation is so hard. I know how hard it is to die despite consistent, long-term ideation. My position sucks and I would hate for you to end up in it.

It sounds like you managed to find it in you to accomplish your tasks and assignments these past semesters. In other words, you just did if. Though the problem seems to be that it is not sustainable.

It's like how if you are doing a session of exercise and you take too long of a break it is hard to start moving again and exerting yourself. You gotta keep it up a little bit or you'll sink further into the mire.

Last edited:
  • Love
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I just think that it would be delightful to be one. I aim to be grade school teacher or middle. It's like I go back being a student again you know. Although there's definitely gonna be a different experience if I'm the one that's teaching.
That's completely valid. I think teaching grade school and possibly even middle school would be great. I feel like in High School, it would be different.
i know that this wasn't for me, but it's also a motivation for me. Not really my mom (though our relationship is strained at times), but others like my grandpa, aunts, and uncles. There's one racist in all of those groups (my grandpa is the worst).

Also, just as an update instead of replying, I've gotten emails about courses starting tomorrow, it's making things real and my heart is racing, especially my concerns about failing calc II. Proctored exams sound scary!

• Hugs
Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
I'm also a CS major, for me calc 1 was absolutely the hardest, ended up having to retake because I failed the first time. Calc 2 was bad but I felt like calc 1 prepared me for it. Linear was pretty good, I had already taken multi and discrete math which made linear pretty nice.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
That's completely valid. I think teaching grade school and possibly even middle school would be great. I feel like in High School, it would be different.

i know that this wasn't for me, but it's also a motivation for me. Not really my mom (though our relationship is strained at times), but others like my grandpa, aunts, and uncles. There's one racist in all of those groups (my grandpa is the worst).

Also, just as an update instead of replying, I've gotten emails about courses starting tomorrow, it's making things real and my heart is racing, especially my concerns about failing calc II. Proctored exams sound scary!
The same advice I gave earlier applies to you too.

qifreys

qifreys

delusional chemistry major
Jan 14, 2024
I'm just curious if there's other people on here who also go to college.

I want to also know if anyone can woe and lament alongside me that spring semester is starting soon (or may have already started for some of you).

Also, feel free to share any thoughts about college here, maybe this can become an interesting discussion and topic.
chemistry major here! linear algebra isn't that hard imo, you'll be fine :)

struggles_inc

struggles_inc

life is a highway and i wanna wreck my car
Jun 24, 2023
Currently finishing my Master's.
Even though I'm in marketing, I have mathematical subjects like programming.

So I can relate to the sentiment.

J

Julsie

Jan 19, 2024
I'm about to start my second year of psychology. Although we'll be doing completely different classes, I'm interested :)