soft-flower345

soft-flower345

🌸I'm ashamed of who I've become🌸
May 15, 2023
I love horror, horror movies, games, books, corn mazes, haunted houses. I also hate it, the feeling of terror makes me feel both alive and sick at the same time. When I'm playing horror games and something chases me or something terrifying happens my whole body responds so intensely I sometimes need to pause and cry it out for a bit or cuddle with a plushy to calm myself down before I can continue. But I always want to continue. I never wanna put it down because as hard as it is on my mental health(I have cptsd and consuming this content makes my nightmares worse), I think that thrill is one of the only things that makes me feel alive, and I can't live without that.
Does anyone else have a similar detrimental thrill seeking relationship with this kind of content?

• Love
Reactions: cgrtt.brns, The anhedonic one, CarambaAlbum and 3 others
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
I love horror movies very much! The more extreme and disturbing the better (tho I try to avoid stuff with a lot of SA). Watching horror calms me and takes my mind off my own stress. I love plushies, too. I don't even have patience to sit thru other types of movies rn.

I can't play horror games or go to haunted houses tho, cause it's just too scary for me. Somehow games feel more real than movies and I get too overwhelmed or overstimulated.

I'm linking a recent article from the BBC about artists connecting horror and PTSD in their work. Kinda interesting, if you feel like reading.

I'm curious about any good horror you've seen lately?

• Love
Reactions: The anhedonic one and soft-flower345
soft-flower345

soft-flower345

May 15, 2023
That article is a fantastic read! There's a lot to take from the imagery presented as well.

Game's are definitely more scary than movies for me too, sometimes if the game is good enough It'll scare me so much I'll flinch and jump out of my chair a little 🤣. I haven't watched too many horror movies lately, I did recently watch vivarium (2019) and evil dead rise(2023) and they both disturbed me in very different ways.(vivarium being about the slow monotonous torture of following societies script for living in the suburbs and raising children when you never wanted them in the first place, something I think many people in my parents generation can really relate to. And evil dead rise being a terrifyingly gruesome supernatural flick with amazing SFX and makeup work)

If you're interested I'm a big fan of omori and fran bow. They're both games, but they arent scary per se, the stories are just so tragic and in conjunction with the artwork become horrifying, but they focus on telling a narrative through exploration and symbolism rather than heart leaping terror.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: SpaceEngineer, unrest and Sweet Tart
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
Both games sound amazing, especially fran bow. This kind of experiential storytelling seems like a new (to me) kind of art. I really relate to the story, as being separated from my black cat is one of the main things I fear about being hospitalized. Even tho I'm broke, I just ordered it :pfff:

I thought the premise of Vivarium was really interesting, too. I plan to see Evil Dead Rise eventually, as I'm a fan of the earlier ones (haven't seen evil dead 2013 yet but heard good things).

Rn I'm halfway thru Antiviral (2012), which is slow paced but the story (celeb worship to bizarre extremes) is incredible so far. I wasn't expecting much from Brandon Cronenberg, due to being a nepo baby of one of the body horror greats, but so far I think his work might even be better and weirder than his dad's.

Feel free to pm me anytime

• Hugs
Reactions: SpaceEngineer and The anhedonic one
ferret-in-a-sock

ferret-in-a-sock

Jan 25, 2023
Kind of, yeah. I have a fear of blood that triggers a physiological response in me causing me to pass out, but I still love horror.

My favorite horror director is Rob Zombie, because I live for his kiche-y 70s/80s horror aesthetic and how his stories feel grimy.

I used to watch horror movies even they made me woozy. I like horror because its "dirty." Like they use handheld camera, protagonists are often not good people or are blatant jerks, set design is grody--and in games people genuinely experiment more with the tech and the stories are more immersive. In all media, they always explore atypical themes that relate to abuse.

But horror also gives me nightmares, mames me dizzy and leaves my brain burned, but it is like an addiction. You go back despite it.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Tart and The anhedonic one
unrest

unrest

Jun 3, 2023
oh god i have a really bad obsession with horror. it's not really anything specific but its just the genre. i mostly find myself liking horror in the image of video games and manga. i lowk think i like it because its ugly and i gaslight myself into paranoia.... 😭anyways.. im not really sure the neuroscience would be behind liking horror BUT i like it.
please recommend me horror anything!

Reactions: The anhedonic one
FungusButler

FungusButler

Jun 18, 2023
If you're interested I'm a big fan of omori and fran bow. They're both games, but they arent scary per se, the stories are just so tragic and in conjunction with the artwork become horrifying, but they focus on telling a narrative through exploration and symbolism rather than heart leaping terror.
Fran bow is still kind of underrated imo, even though its extremely popular as far as point-and-click games go.

Meanwhile I think a big "problem" with playing any games post-Omori for me is that I often wonder if there's ever going to be another game that will hit me as hard as it did. Not an absolutely flawless experience or anything, but god damn does it refuse to pull its punches.

Obligatory recommendation for HC and other Etherane games, as her stuff takes inspiration from the same surreal horror roots: Hello Charlotte.

• Love
Reactions: soft-flower345, Sweet Tart and The anhedonic one
CarambaAlbum

CarambaAlbum

Jun 16, 2023
I usually go for the really weird, underground horror stuff but whenever I try to find something interesting there's always some fucking Youtuber who has to recommend it in his shitty top ten list so now a bunch of edge lord teenagers who think The Backrooms is genius are watching the Vomit Gore series thinking they're so cool and co-opt it (not to say the Vomit Gore series is a work of art or anything just using it as an example).

Gatekeep your interests.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Tart, unrest and The anhedonic one
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
I'm not into gory horror, but I love atmospheric horror such as midsommar and the shining.
I love horror movies very much! The more extreme and disturbing the better (tho I try to avoid stuff with a lot of SA). Watching horror calms me and takes my mind off my own stress. I love plushies, too. I don't even have patience to sit thru other types of movies rn.

I can't play horror games or go to haunted houses tho, cause it's just too scary for me. Somehow games feel more real than movies and I get too overwhelmed or overstimulated.

I'm linking a recent article from the BBC about artists connecting horror and PTSD in their work. Kinda interesting, if you feel like reading.

I'm curious about any good horror you've seen lately?
Midsommar is awesome. It's about a suicide cult.

Reactions: Sweet Tart and CarambaAlbum
CarambaAlbum

CarambaAlbum

Jun 16, 2023
I'm not into gory horror, but I love atmospheric horror such as midsommar and the shining.

Midsommar is awesome. It's about a suicide cult.
I thought Midsommar had its amazing moments but it was Ari Aster's first few flicks like Hereditary or The Strange Thing About the Johnsons that really blew me away. Also his other short films are so underrated, it's crazy. Unfortunately you'd have to use the Internet Archive to find them now. 🥲

Reactions: Sweet Tart
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
I thought Midsommar had its amazing moments but it was Ari Aster's first few flicks like Hereditary or The Strange Thing About the Johnsons that really blew me away. Also his other short films are so underrated, it's crazy. Unfortunately you'd have to use the Internet Archive to find them now. 🥲
Ooh ! They sound good. I'll have a good look and see if I can find them. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: CarambaAlbum
CarambaAlbum

CarambaAlbum

Jun 16, 2023
Ooh ! They sound good. I'll have a good look and see if I can find them. Thank you.
No problem at all, I'll just say that with the exception of The Johnsons and Beau a few of them are actually really funny comedies so enjoy the variety!

• Love
Reactions: The anhedonic one
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
Both games sound amazing, especially fran bow. This kind of experiential storytelling seems like a new (to me) kind of art. I really relate to the story, as being separated from my black cat is one of the main things I fear about being hospitalized. Even tho I'm broke, I just ordered it :pfff:

I thought the premise of Vivarium was really interesting, too. I plan to see Evil Dead Rise eventually, as I'm a fan of the earlier ones (haven't seen evil dead 2013 yet but heard good things).

Rn I'm halfway thru Antiviral (2012), which is slow paced but the story (celeb worship to bizarre extremes) is incredible so far. I wasn't expecting much from Brandon Cronenberg, due to being a nepo baby of one of the body horror greats, but so far I think his work might even be better and weirder than his dad's.

Feel free to pm me anytime
Ok, it's too late to edit this, but I wanted to say I finished Antiviral last nite and I don't really recommend it anymore! Lol it kinda went downhill for me and also got super gross. But I liked his other film Possessor a lot and highly recommend that one
Midsommar and Hereditary are both soooo good. I haven't seen his others, but am going to look for them.

Last edited:
SuicidalOrganism

SuicidalOrganism

Experienced
May 31, 2023
Can anyone suggest a good horror movie/game/comic/show or anything else like that, Im quite intrigued

TheSpookyNameGuy

TheSpookyNameGuy

There's nothing here..
Apr 30, 2023
It's the only thing i enjoy now, Horror and gore just anything related to death and suffering i will watch it, it confirms my disgust for this species.

Horror stories, night adventures, conspiracies, dark web stuff. I know most is fake but i like that feeling of being secure in a room with a porthole into the depths of the dark world we have.

Simple things keep me going that and booze with horror.

Anyone recommend good horror books, i don't read that much tbh?

Homulily

Homulily

Witch of the Mortal World
Jun 1, 2023
I love horror, horror movies, games, books, corn mazes, haunted houses. I also hate it, the feeling of terror makes me feel both alive and sick at the same time. When I'm playing horror games and something chases me or something terrifying happens my whole body responds so intensely I sometimes need to pause and cry it out for a bit or cuddle with a plushy to calm myself down before I can continue. But I always want to continue. I never wanna put it down because as hard as it is on my mental health(I have cptsd and consuming this content makes my nightmares worse), I think that thrill is one of the only things that makes me feel alive, and I can't live without that.
Does anyone else have a similar detrimental thrill seeking relationship with this kind of content?
I enjoy horror greatly, sometimes depending on the topic of the story I will need to pause it and take a moment to myself to calm down.
but most things I'm usually fine with.
the last time I needed to pause something to take a moment to catch myself was while watching the anime "made in abyss" during a scene where a character tries to amputate another characters arm, to stop a poision from spreading across her entire body.
it was a very brutal scene that didn't hide anything, while other people who have seen the show state the later elevator scene to be more brutal and scary, I found the amputation scene to be one of the most tense moments i've witnessed in a show.

I am a big fan of guro, and artistic gore in general.
be it drawings of gore, animated shows featuring gore, that sort of stuff.
Made in Abyss has to be one of the greatest horror pieces i've watched, from its world building to its tense and brutal scenes.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Tart and soft-flower345
soft-flower345

soft-flower345

May 15, 2023
Fran bow is still kind of underrated imo, even though its extremely popular as far as point-and-click games go.

Meanwhile I think a big "problem" with playing any games post-Omori for me is that I often wonder if there's ever going to be another game that will hit me as hard as it did. Not an absolutely flawless experience or anything, but god damn does it refuse to pull its punches.

Obligatory recommendation for HC and other Etherane games, as her stuff takes inspiration from the same surreal horror roots: Hello Charlotte.
I played hello charlotte when I was 14 and I still remember the way I felt when I got the final letter from her in game😭

I totally agree with you about Omori, by far my favorite horror rpg and it helped me process some of my own childhood trauma in a way I just couldn't with therapy.
It's the only thing i enjoy now, Horror and gore just anything related to death and suffering i will watch it, it confirms my disgust for this species.

Horror stories, night adventures, conspiracies, dark web stuff. I know most is fake but i like that feeling of being secure in a room with a porthole into the depths of the dark world we have.

Simple things keep me going that and booze with horror.

Anyone recommend good horror books, i don't read that much tbh?
Obvs he's super popular, but steven king has written a bunch of horror short stories that have a special place in my heart, the man in the black suit and night shift being my favorites of his.
Hp lovecrafts "The dunwich horror" is pretty good too
Honestly if you pick any popular horror author and find a book with a premise thay catches your attention, go for it. Most popular horror artists are masters at crafting decadent ambiance and building slow tension up to the climax of the story, where they finally ignite the powderkeg they've been building for so many chapters.

Last edited:
FinalCountdown

FinalCountdown

Jun 21, 2023
I love the horror genre. My favorite horror films tend to be ones that are more unsettling versus very mainstream jump-scares. I really like movie Midsummer as it provided a sense of dread that kept you on your toes. I plan to see the movie "Skinamarink" soon because the trailer made me very unsettled in the best way possible.

It's perhaps my morbid curiosity that makes me enjoy the genre, it can be like seeing a train wreck that you can't look away from, even though you know something terrible is about to happen.

Reactions: psp3000 and Sweet Tart
SpaceEngineer

SpaceEngineer

A Friend
Jun 29, 2023
Horror games and movies are my go to, there's nothing that even comes close to the visceral feeling or intrigue when playing a new horror game or watching the new "heart attack" horror. I'm sure you can tell what my favourite game is. :)

delusionalgirl

delusionalgirl

I have my ticket. Awaiting my journey
Jun 17, 2023
Since I was a little kid. Most doesn't even phase me anymore.

Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
No, but I like David Lynch a lot.

• Love
Reactions: psp3000