makebelieve

makebelieve

Apr 19, 2022
I am soon gonna be out of my shut in phase and going to study in university but I loathe going outside since I dont want people to see my ugly appearance. So I was wondering how does my fellow social anxiety sufferers cope with the stress?

• Hugs
Reactions: esthe, alonely, mekurin and 1 other person
SenseOfLoss

SenseOfLoss

life could have been so beautiful
Feb 24, 2023
It's just hell. Suffering from cortisone induced water fluid on my face (permanent damage), my face is ruined… since that I can barely leave my apartment. Been hiding for a year and a half... now I have to go back to work... trying to meet people/ friends and get over my fears... but it's hard as hell....

• Aww..
Reactions: Under Pressure and mekurin
day

day

Global Mod
Jun 24, 2023
Typically use propranolol if it's as simple as the grocery store.

If I'm wanting to talk at a party or something along those lines I tend to drink every time then if that doesn't help I'll snort Xanax or something to really ease myself.

If I'm sober I find that I'm a pretty awkward communicator unless I'm super comfortable and I feel well mentally which is very hard to do at times.

Reactions: mekurin
mekurin

mekurin

Heading for something better than this
Jul 9, 2023
I usually take smoke breaks. Nicotine helps me with stress. As Astrals said if I do anything more like going to a party I usually get very drunk. Drinks are expensive so I usually do pre drinking and try to sneak in a canteen of mystery alcohol in.

alonely

alonely

exists by being merely labeled
Jul 1, 2023
I prefer going into crowded places, it's much easier for me to get lost in a crowd and be completely unnoticed rather than being around just a few people where maybe you're more expected to talk or something.

Also realising that people are going to think what they're going to think, and there's not much you can do about that so might as well just try not to give a fuck. Also that people are usually way more concerned and anxious about themselves that they're not even paying attention to you.

I've also dealt with it for so long that a part of me likes being the odd one out. Showing normal people that their way isn't the only way and just not masking or trying to look pretty or trying to live up to society's standards.

I feel like sharing this is maybe not helpful but it's been my approach to it so who knows.

Reactions: Under Pressure
FadingSunshine

FadingSunshine

Nothing lasts forever.
Jul 8, 2023
Also realising that people are going to think what they're going to think, and there's not much you can do about that so might as well just try not to give a fuck. Also that people are usually way more concerned and anxious about themselves that they're not even paying attention to you.

I've also dealt with it for so long that a part of me likes being the odd one out. Showing normal people that their way isn't the only way and just not masking or trying to look pretty or trying to live up to society's standards.
This is how I got out of the hell that social anxiety created for me. Just know others opinions don't matter, and live your life how YOU want to live it, not how others want to live it. If that means staying inside for a week, that's fine.

Reactions: đ–£‚đ–£‚đ–£‚. and alonely